cut the shaft?

davyg

would it be best to cut the shaft on the motors or leave as is??

prop adpater.jpg

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Cut off almost as much as is showing. Cover the motor so you don't get filings in the motor.

davyg

I have just sent an email to the seller... I double checked everything and the adapter is only gripping about 4-5mm of the tip of the shaft... I ensured that all was fully tight and did a test of the motor... the vibrations were horrendous to say the least... I am not going to attempt to fly the quad with those adapters fitted... reckon it will be unflyable...

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I have just sent an email to the seller... I double checked everything and the adapter is only gripping about 4-5mm of the tip of the shaft... I ensured that all was fully tight and did a test of the motor... the vibrations were horrendous to say the least... I am not going to attempt to fly the quad with those adapters fitted... reckon it will be unflyable...

Cheap adapters are always badly drilled. You can balance them though, but you'll need to rebalance every time you change a propeller.

davyg

Can you drill the adapter?

I wouldn't like to do that as it would compromise the integrity of the adapter shaft, as it isn't that wide.. M6 at most I would say (motor prop shaft is 4mm)....

This quad is starting to be the bain of my life... every time I get close to completing the build then somethings else crops up to scupper my plans.... :(

con244

Hi Davyg is the adapter done up tight in the first pic? If so the prop looks like it is sitting on the adaptor crooked. That would make the motor vibrate like crazy if it is. You may need to get the right sized adaptor for the shaft.
Con

davyg

Hi Davyg is the adapter done up tight in the first pic? If so the prop looks like it is sitting on the adaptor crooked. That would make the motor vibrate like crazy if it is. You may need to get the right sized adaptor for the shaft.
Con

aye, all is tight enough.....but I just don't trust it at all.. the guy in the shop said they would do the job...but I am not so sure.. here is a pic of the original adapters that I used last year, and they performed perfectly with no vibrations at all... (only have 3 of them though... )

2013-01-30 19.36.45.jpg

con244

so the size of the hole in the propeller is the same as the outside diameter of the adapter? Sorry to labour this but that pic just doesn't look right. If all is well with the hole sizes and the props sit like that I think I would take them back to the shop for a refund. The guy in the shop is probably a nitro flyer, those things vibrate like crazy so a prop being out of center or balance doesn't make much difference. Balancing the props might help.

davyg

so the size of the hole in the propeller is the same as the outside diameter of the adapter? Sorry to labour this but that pic just doesn't look right. If all is well with the hole sizes and the props sit like that I think I would take them back to the shop for a refund. The guy in the shop is probably a nitro flyer, those things vibrate like crazy so a prop being out of center or balance doesn't make much difference. Balancing the props might help.

on the larger adapter yes.... also the shaft of the larger adapter is 35mm long whereas the smaller one is only 22mm in length....

Just can't track down or locate the 1 adapter that I need to complete the build of the quad....:(

con244

All I can suggest is to check out all the chinese suppliers. Most of them put there dimensions on their websites. If you can find the right ones it might be worthwhile buying them in. Good Luck
Con

davyg

I have been surfing away like crazy here...:rolleyes: may even have to go for a full set of a different style adapter :cool:

MrClean

If you cut the shaft yourself, an easy way to keep the motor clean is to partially inflate a balloon, press the motor shaft into the balloon and then the motor into the balloon, envelope the motor and then let the air out of the balloon while pressing further, thusly putting the motor inside the balloon. Then just poke the motor shaft out and have at it.

I assume you know how to get the motor out of the balloon afterwards.

By the way, this also works for fiberglassing parts. apply resin, fiberglass, more resin, squeagy off most of te resin, Balloon the part and then squegy out any wrinkles.