Cutting Carbon Fiber Without a Mill

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Hey guys, what is the best way to cut carbon fiber without a mill? I want to cut a small section from the top of my ZMR250 frame to better accommodate the camera angle. What I have at my disposal is a power drill, coping/hack saw, scroll saw, some files and a Dremel. I'm thinking maybe to drill a series of holes then finish the cut with the coping saw, but I'm not sure. I also know that carbon fiber dust is very dangerous so I will be wearing goggles, a mask and gloves. If possible I will try to do things underwater to keep the dust down.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

joker24458

From what I've heard most people just use a dremel (none of the other tools required, at least for simple cuts). Glad that you already know what safety precautions to take so I (or someone else) won't have to type it all out. :D

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Long video but pretty much in line with what you already figured out.

Fyathyrio

I've always used my Dremel with an abrasive disc, I also set up my shop-vac hose next to the cut for sucking up the dust.

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
I've used a scroll saw with some success, a band saw would also work. Just be sure to where a respirator and use a vacuum to collect the dust. Carbon fiber splinters and dust are not something that you want to breathe or touch.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Thanks for the tips guys. I actually remembered that my frame is carbon composite with glass fiber in the middle so it wasn't as bad as I initially thought. I ended up going with a simple coping saw for the main cut. I had a wet paper towel against the piece and blade to try an trap any dust. To clean up the edges I then used my Dremel with the sander attachment and did some low speed passes while cleaning the dust with wet paper towel in between. Overall a quick job with not much of a mess at all.