Cutting Foam! - Chad and David

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Great tip!

I like using a razor knife. I can use one blade twice (you use half the blade at a time) and it's easier to hold safely.

Meyerco%20MCRAZORSS%20Speed%20Assisted%20Razor%20Knife%20Stainless%20Frame.jpg

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
As Fred said, great tip!
I use an Xacto knife (basically the one you were using) and one of those breakable blade knives, whatever they're called :D and they work well.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Fantastic! Would love to see one on Hot Wire cutting . . . happy to share how I do it when I build my new Hot Wire Cutter, would would still love to see what you guys come up with :)

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
I use the same type of blade as Flyingmonkey ...But beware and buy the blades that cost a bit more the difference is noticeable
from a cheap packet

Naamis

Great tip! Now that you have David there, a quick follow up on cutting wing profiles with hot wire and quick tour to different foams.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Nice Fast Tip!

I always had some trouble trying to get the perfect hinge but that tip of chad is just awesome!

Naamis

Why isn't this posted on the main websites "Tips" section?
I would like to also raise a question around commenting on videos. There seems to be a bit too many places to do this that are not linked to each other. Some comments are more like questions pending answers. Which location does one comment and ask questions to have the staff read and answer? THAT was not critique, just a comment.

ananas1301

I would like to also raise a question around commenting on videos. There seems to be a bit too many places to do this that are not linked to each other. Some comments are more like questions pending answers. Which location does one comment and ask questions to have the staff read and answer? THAT was not critique, just a comment.

There is a thread called "Ask Chad" , who is the director of the this show. If that is what you mean.

Airwolf

I use OLFA japaneese blades. Not cheap, but ultra sharp, very high quality and safe.

foto-olfa.jpg

(all but this "hook" knife).

Rotary knife is ideal for thiner sheets of depron.

This one is ideal for cutting out circles:

0812220900_OLFA_Nozcyrkiel_do_wycinania_kol_CMP1_DX_10_ostrzy_w_komplecie_1.jpg

But hot wire on a frame is for me main tool for cutting all sorts of foam.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor

These "Fast Tips" are in the testing phase right now. I wasn't sure if they were worthy of a full article status. People seem to like them and find them useful. Maybe I'll upgrade them.

Regarding comments. Currently there are four locations for people to leave comments...
1. YouTube
2. The main website
3. Facebook
4. The forum

This has been a real challenge for us. We want people to have the freedom to share their thoughts in the venue they prefer. Unfortunately we can't keep up with all of those venues all of the time. I devote most of my time to the forum and Facebook. Even if I miss a question or comment in one of the threads, I am VERY active and attentive on the "Ask Chad" thread.

I hope this helps :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I just can't seem to undserstand how you get that time to keep up with all that! In any case, we owe you a big thanks for spending your time here :)

ananas1301

I just can't seem to undserstand how you get that time to keep up with all that! In any case, we owe you a big thanks for spending your time here :)

We do indeed! The amount of work behind all of this (forum, show...) may quite often be undererstimated but it shouldn´t!

Kudos to chad :D

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor

Thanks guys... We believe in what we do and we like it! That makes it easier. My poor wife is the most under appreciated. She puts up with us every week! :applause: