Solved Cutting foam circles for wheels, etc...

jtuttle11

I have come up with a tool and method for cutting very good quality foam board circles for wheels. I made a tool from a piece of 1/2 inch square stock and 2 pieces of ply to hold the #11 cutting blade.
The ply pieces are3 attached to one end of the square stock and the #11 blade is sandwiched between them using 2 servo mounting screws. The square stock is then drilled to provide the pivot point for the cutting of the circle.
Remember, This is the 'Radius' of the circle. The diameter will be double this setting.
I use 4 of these circles for each wheel and a spacer 'Tread'. The 2 outer pieces on each wheel I use to make the 'Tire' and finish the completed wheel off with a Jumbo Black Sharpie pen. 053.jpg 055.jpg

I start by gluing the outer 'Tire rings' to the inner 'Wheel disc'. Next I begin assembly by gluing each disc to the 'Tread /separator' (This has been pleated using the method I posted earlier).
Starting with a small area for the first attachment of the circles, follow the method used by the other Flite Test designs of slowly gluing and rolling the surface on the table to get a smooth glue joint.
Since you cut the Tread just over sized, you trim the tread to length leaving the excess paper to glue over the starting point to give a finished look to the wheel. 043.jpg

jtuttle11

Looks like you're getting great results from this too! Nicely done :D
Don't know about the build challenge, I have few ideas for a classic biplane. Kit bashing is always fun, I recently Bashed a Bushwhacker into a twin.
037.jpg

I haven't had an opportunity to fly it yet.

mayan

Legendary member
That is a super cool solution for making prefect looking circles out of foam board. I’ll defentaly be using this. Thanks for sharing.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That's my new favorite Bushwacker too! Love the low wing and nacelles on that - reminds me of a WW2 era light cargo/passenger style profile. I can see Indiana Jones hanging out the door while it hurtles down the runway with goons in pursuit :D

Seahunter

Don't know about the build challenge, I have few ideas for a classic biplane. Kit bashing is always fun, I recently Bashed a Bushwhacker into a twin. View attachment 113059
I haven't had an opportunity to fly it yet.
:) I hope you can get a video of the maiden, I really like the old cargo plane look it has. Curious about the stability with the change in configuration. Great design. Are you using differential thrust on the motors?

donalson

love the idea... I'll have to build something similar I suppose... I struggle with clean wheel circle cuts.

jtuttle11

:) I hope you can get a video of the maiden, I really like the old cargo plane look it has. Curious about the stability with the change in configuration. Great design. Are you using differential thrust on the motors?
Stability shouldn't be a problem, I'm using an older Spektrum AR635 AS3X receiver. I haven't as yet found a good way to program Diff. Thrust on My DX-8 but I'll keep trying.
It does kinda resemble the old Cessna T-50/ UC-78, The 'Bamboo Bomber' (Not my original goal,just a happy coincidence)