Cutting foam sheets... with a needle!

john ferguson

The advantage of a .025 inch needle cutting foamboard at 8,000 strokes/minute and advancing at 20 inches per minute is that the finish of the cut is near perfect, and the smallest curve or corner can be matched. The creator of the saber saw version has made a very nice saw, but do you really want all of the weight of the saw and the drill supported on a probably light XYZ Axis CNC driven frame? Servos would have to be large.

Frankly, I cannot see why he went to the trouble of building it. Maybe someone else can.

dkj4linux

Elite member
I believe the poster's intent was using a variation of this reciprocation mecanisim to replace the more common flywheel mechanism, which can impose unwanted bending loads on the needle.
I really think this is a misconception. Music/piano wire is hardened spring steel... and made to bend. My needle cutter's bending loads were always intentional... and wanted. ;)

Seriously, I've never had a needle break due to bending unless it was forced to bend sharply against an edge... and then friction heat to failure. But, by far, most needle failures are due to stress risers formed when fabbing the needle's loops or bends with pliers with sharp-edged jaws. I used round-jaw needle nose pliers when forming loops or bends for that reason. And never, ever, straighten or adjust a bend once formed... it's a guaranteed point of failure.

-- David

john ferguson

Hi David, the round-jaw needle nose pliers seem a good solution. I went with the drilled brass stand-off which means that the piano-wire needle doesn't have to be bent at all. I suspect that drilling this small hole would be impossible without a small drill press. I have a drill press attachment for my Proxxon which made it easy for me.

I'd intended to replace my 3d printed rotor with an aluminum one, but since it is working so well, I may just print a couple of spares and forget about the aluminum - which because aligning the bearings in front and back for the wire crank is tricky to do ois a bit of a time sink.

and once again, it is such a delight to have this wonderful machine, which I never would have thought of myself.

john

john ferguson

I finished the vacuum table. The base machine for my foamcutter is a Chinese 6040 CNC Router, which is just fine for my work. I glued two 5/8 MDF boards together - i needed the stiffness because the end has to cantilever out past the end of the router bed. I cut the pattern in the upper board with a 1/4 inch bit in the router including the header and the opening for the 3D PETG printed manifold which the suction hose attaches to. I set-up the needle cutter attachment and cut the perforations in the 5mm foamboard which will become the wasteboard in use.

Still on my first music-wire needle.

Attachments

• fcmod1.jpeg
    fcmod1.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 0
  • fcmod2.jpeg
    fcmod2.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 0
  • fc3.jpeg
    fc3.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

sirjaymz

I finished the vacuum table. The base machine for my foamcutter is a Chinese 6040 CNC Router, which is just fine for my work. I glued two 5/8 MDF boards together - i needed the stiffness because the end has to cantilever out past the end of the router bed. I cut the pattern in the upper board with a 1/4 inch bit in the router including the header and the opening for the 3D PETG printed manifold which the suction hose attaches to. I set-up the needle cutter attachment and cut the perforations in the 5mm foamboard which will become the wasteboard in use.

Still on my first music-wire needle.
This is a nice setup. Well done.. I like the needle cutter assembly, all metal as it were. Do you have any additional close up photos of the flywheel, motor mount assemble for wire attachment ? It seems my friction fit bearing / PLA washer / needle assembly has been giving me fits recently, so reviewing what others have done for a rebuild of the assembly.

Seems like I'll need to do this vacuum assembly as well at some point. Just using the foamboard 'vacuum table' solution. I like yours.

john ferguson

This is a nice setup. Well done.. I like the needle cutter assembly, all metal as it were. Do you have any additional close up photos of the flywheel, motor mount assemble for wire attachment ? It seems my friction fit bearing / PLA washer / needle assembly has been giving me fits recently, so reviewing what others have done for a rebuild of the assembly.

Seems like I'll need to do this vacuum assembly as well at some point. Just using the foamboard 'vacuum table' solution. I like yours.
thanks for the note. the flywheel is 3d printed PETG. I printed three at the same time with varying bores for the 6mm ball bearings. I tried each of them and picked the one that was the tightest fit. I didn't expect that it would last long, but it has. I can post a bigger photo of this if you'd like and share the stls for what i printed. How can I help you the best?

The trick to this is drilling the hole for the wire in the brass stand-off. You really need a tiny drill press like dremel offers to do this. and a smal, vise which can handle a 3mm hex shaped stand-off.

Last edited: