Cutting foam sheets... with a needle!

Keno

Just for info with the consideration of the travel distant/time my new calculations confirmed your factor of 10. My finding only vary about 1 to 2 plus/minus. The difference is attributed to ppm and the needle travel distance, 8mm - 12mm. Not a math expert just love to test my brain. You have a nice evening.

dehager

I just started to print moebeast's Foam Ripper vacuum manifold in red PETG. Should look awesome when completed, fingers crossed. It will be the largest part that I have printed on my Ender 3.

CURA Settings:
3D Solutech PETG 1.75 mm
layer height: 0.20 mm, filament temp: 236'C, bed temp: 70'C, infill: 30%, speed: 40 mm/s
calculated print time is 10 hours 30 minutes.

Vacuum Manifold.jpg

dutchmonkey

Just printed my vac port only took 2hrs :cool: how are you guys laying out the base of DTFB i don't see too much on this. I did see that is is 3 layers bottom two have slots cut into them and the 3rd has holes.

dehager

Just printed my vac port only took 2hrs :cool: how are you guys laying out the base of DTFB i don't see too much on this. I did see that is is 3 layers bottom two have slots cut into them and the 3rd has holes.

I have always been conservative with my print speeds on the Ender. I just hate reprints...

I will do the cross slot and hole pattern on the third sheet as the spoil board.

dutchmonkey

I have always been conservative with my print speeds on my Ender. I just hate reprints...
I totally understand it has taken a lot of work to print reliably at high speed. I can push my highly modded cartesian printer to 110mm/s but i do most in the 50 to 80 range. If i would have changed the nozzle out i could hit 1hr with a good print. Just like the needle cutter feed and speed and fine tune settings

dkj4linux

Elite member
Quite the Christmas season I'm having... loving daughter and family thought, along with my new hideout, I needed some "companionship". It's been a while... does this look like companionship to you? Looks to me like it's really gonna be difficult to get anything done on my machines...

20191225_094541.jpg

20191225_211007.jpg

dkj4linux

Elite member
Talking with my daughter a bit ago… mentioned the temptation to buy another Prusa… talked about letting them have the MK2S (which has performed flawlessly for nearly three years) if I’d spring for the MK3S kit… quite the salesman I am, I talked myself right into it…

Just ordered my Prusa i3 MK3S kit! Merry Christmas... me :D

I hope all of you are having a happy and productive Christmas season!

Wildthing

Legendary member
Talking with my daughter a bit ago… mentioned the temptation to buy another Prusa… talked about letting them have the MK2S (which has performed flawlessly for nearly three years) if I’d spring for the MK3S kit… quite the salesman I am, I talked myself right into it…

I hope all of you are having a happy and productive Christmas season!
Merry Christmas to you also, enjoy the new toy :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor

Congrats, you'll love it! Just don't make the mistake I did and get a MMU thinking it would be a fun add-on. I thought it would be nice for soluble supports and occasionally nice for multi color prints. But mostly just nice to be able to swap between a couple of commonly used filaments automatically.

Well, soluble filament is crazy expensive and needs very careful storage...and whatever they've done in slicer lately had made supports so much nicer and easier to remove anyway that I haven't felt the need to try soluble filament yet. (I still want to...but...I also don't trust the MMU enough yet.)

Multi color prints...my daughter likes them...but almost every one I've done so far the wipe tower weighed more than the print and I mostly do functional prints where multi-color isn't really helpful. Though I did just use it to do some labels on a marble clock I'm building which was nice. Though I was nervous trying it because (again) I really don't trust the MMU.

Swapping colors...well...the filament buffer is a huge pain to deal with (especially if you have the printer in an enclosure like I do) and loading/unloading into the MMU is a major hassle. Once it's in the MMU there's no guarantee it will load accurately either so this hasn't been much of a benefit either.

The big issue is the new hot end filament sensor with the 's' upgrade. It just doesn't seem to be as reliable for me as the old optical sensor (which apparently gave other people problems but worked great for me even with clear and translucent filaments) was which causes the MMU to have a really hard time telling when the filament is actually loaded all the way to the hot end. Resulting in filament getting ground in the MMU and the hot end which in turn means I have to disassemble both to clean out the filament dust or the problem just gets worse and worse.

And the MMU seems to be REALLY picky about filament. With just the stock mk3 even my cheap troublesome filaments printed great. But with the MMU even some of my nice usually trouble free filaments give me headaches now :(

Love my Mk3...but really kicking myself for splurging on the MMU. At least I had the mk3 for a good 4 or 5 months to fall in love with it before the MMU arrived (and then another month or two before I got around to installing it.)

dkj4linux

Elite member
Thanks, Jason. No MMU or fancy filaments for me... I'm just a PLA kinda guy ;)

I really think one of the reasons I've had such good luck with my MK2S is the fact that I just don't mess with something that seems to work for me... and PLA suits the stuff I do quite well. I'd read those comments before from one of your earlier posts but knew that you had praised the basic printer... and had no qualms about ordering the MK3S. Like you I do almost exclusively functional prints and already knew I neither needed nor wanted the fancy stuff. Plus my daughter and hubby have actually printed some neat stuff in the past on one of the old FolgerTech I3's I'd given them... but they found it such a pain having to fiddle around with it to get good prints they stopped using it. I hated that and figured I could [and, deep down, WANTED to] do something about it... and getting a new Prusa and passing down the old one seemed the way to go.

Hope you and yours are all well and having a great Christmas season. Take care.

-- David