Cutting foam sheets... with a needle!

RAGII

I tried to set up my MPCNC with needle cutter to cut MPF which is 2' x 4' or roughly 609mm x 1219mm. I set Repetier to have a print area of X=1219 and Y=609. My needle cut well. However the last 450mm was ruined. The parts where printed on top of each other and measurements where skewed. Should I have updated the Arduino? This is the same board that came with the bundle I received from vicious1.com. If I print/cut anything 762mm x 508mm, it all comes out perfectly. I look through the forum on the vicious1 site and could not find an answer. Can any of you help a brother out? Educate me. Thank you!

Michael

Did you use ESTLCAM first to set your tool paths before opening in Repetier? My work area is close to yours and I did not need to change anything in the hardware and I also got it from vicious1.

Rob

Michael9865

Elite member
Michael

Did you use ESTLCAM first to set your tool paths before opening in Repetier? My work area is close to yours and I did not need to change anything in the hardware and I also got it from vicious1.

Rob

RAGII,
Yes I use Estlcam V9 to convert DXF to G-Code. This is really stumping me. In Estlcam the tool paths look correct.

David & RAGII,
Thank you for your responses.

RAGII

Michael,

After looking through all of my settings I suggest you follow David's advice. Make sure in RH that your x dimensions and y dimensions correspond to your x and y movements.

Also, I checked my configuration.h file and I have the following settings. I do not remember flashing the firmware before I started to change the limits to 1000 but I might have done that.

// Travel limits after homing (units are in mm)
#define X_MAX_POS 1000
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MAX_POS 1000
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MAX_POS 200
#define Z_MIN_POS 0

dkj4linux

Elite member
UPS rocks!

Woot! My Prusa I3 Mk2 kit delivered today! :applause::applause::applause:

Truly impressive... a ~25lb box, Monday thru Wednesday... Prague, Czech Republic to Koein,Germany... and in rural East Texas by Friday, lunchtime.

Screenshot_2017-04-28_14-38-04.png

20170428_142631.jpg

20170428_142645.jpg

I'll not break any speed records putting it together... I'm already 3d printer rich and will need to make room for it (yuck!). I'm writing this from my recliner in my small living/work room and literally surrounded by machines already... my 3'x4' foam cutter MPCNC, the 3' CamSlider I built back in December, two 2'x2' laser engraver/cutter machines (MPCNC and CoreXY), and two 3d printers (Prusa Mendel I2 and FT2020 Prusa I3).

I'm sure that as soon as I identify something to move out of the way, I'll urgently need it. Thus my quandry... and such is the questionable logic of a tired/retired mind :confused:

-- David

Michael9865

Elite member
Woot! My Prusa I3 Mk2 kit delivered today! :applause::applause::applause:

Truly impressive... a ~25lb box, Monday thru Wednesday... Prague, Czech Republic to Koein,Germany... and in rural East Texas by Friday, lunchtime.

I'll not break any speed records putting it together... I'm already 3d printer rich and will need to make room for it (yuck!). I'm writing this from my recliner in my small living/work room and literally surrounded by machines already... my 3'x4' foam cutter MPCNC, the 3' CamSlider I built back in December, two 2'x2' laser engraver/cutter machines (MPCNC and CoreXY), and two 3d printers (Prusa Mendel I2 and FT2020 Prusa I3).

I'm sure that as soon as I identify something to move out of the way, I'll urgently need it. Thus my quandry... and such is the questionable logic of a tired/retired mind :confused:

-- David

I agree brown is awesome. Oh the woes you must endure. LOL May your years of refined decision making make short work of your "quandry."

dkj4linux

Elite member
I agree brown is awesome. Oh the woes you must endure. LOL May your years of refined decision making make short work of your "quandry."

Thank you, Michael. Your well-wishes and encouragement have had their desired effect and I'm already down the road much further than I could have ever expected... :D

20170429_093251.jpg

20170429_094120.jpg

20170429_095158.jpg

20170429_095804.jpg

Just about ready to come up with a tentative plan to commence thinking about starting to begin putting this thing together ;)

20170429_112820.jpg

-- David

CaptCaveman37

David,

Double check the measurement of the nuts that hold the z gantry up, that will save you a ton of heartache later. Also, there are a couple of places that they don't show some of the hex nuts that get dropped into the pockets of the printed parts. I think one of the ones I missed was in the extruder assembly and I had to disassemble it about 5 times before I figured out what the problem was.

Good Luck :)
Jamie

Verris

When you assemble the y frame, theres a step where you need to make sure the bolts hold the frame exactly 100mm from the back. I recommend doing 101 or 102mm instead. The important part is that both sides are even. At exactly 100mm you can run into issues of the probe not being able to find the front row of calibration points. Its a lot easier to adjust while you build than to change later.

dkj4linux

Elite member
Printer build update

Well, all went together nicely... though I found the fullscreen/non-fullscreen online instruction, the lack of "East Texas" English, and the physical manual enough different to make things a bit confusing at times.

I started assembly on Saturday afternoon... and did the calibration and first prints on Monday morning. I was pretty systematic (anal?) about each step of the assembly, set that distance to 102mm as you guys warned... and was rewarded with a printer that told me, "Good job!" [That was a first for me :rolleyes:] Actually it also said there was a slight skew between X and Y but nothing that couldn't be compensated for during calibration. I, of course, was shooting for "Absolutely perfect, first time! You're the greatest!"... but I'll have to live with a slightly deflated ego and somewhat subdued satisfaction for now :rolleyes:

I'm still blown away at the expedited delivery and handling by PrusaResearch and UPS... shipped from Prague on Monday of last week and -- even as old/slow and the procrastinator I am -- assembled and printing in rural East Texas on the following Monday. Can't beat that IMO! And, in spite of the unwieldy and difficult-to-follow-at-times instructions, I'm very impressed with the parts quality and finished product... and all that neat auto-calibration stuff! A really nicely engineered machine... and they seem to have thought of everything; i.e. candy, filament, ready to print models, etc.

And then there's that exceptionally nice customized version of Slic3r that takes a lot of guesswork out of getting decent prints. That may be the "icing on the cake" for me... i.e. I'm thinking my old printers are much more capable of quality prints than I ever imagined. I look forward to going back, tuning them up, and seeing what they are capable of with more refined print settings. But this new Prusa printer is definitely going to take "center stage" in my workshop and future development activities. It's so much easier to set up and use than my other printers :D

Needless to say, I am very happy with this machine so far and look forward to playing with it more... and want to try at least a couple more filament types to round out my 3dprinting experience a bit. [Don't worry, Jason... you're still the "guru" of 3d printing on this forum IMHO ;)]

Anyway, here are the requisite pictures. And that treefrog -- straight off the printer -- is amazing to me. I'll probably have to break down and print that "other frog" (the dragon)... just to say I've done it and to have another "benchmark" to compare future prints to :D

20170430_123810.jpg

20170430_205730.jpg

20170501_072109.jpg

20170501_090730.jpg

20170501_175907.jpg

20170502_070121.jpg

20170502_070207.jpg

20170502_141323.jpg

20170502_141515.jpg

20170502_141452.jpg

20170502_144310.jpg

-- David

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Well, all went together nicely... though I found the fullscreen/non-fullscreen online instruction, the lack of "East Texas" English, and the physical manual enough different to make things a bit confusing at times.

Looks great! I'd love to get my hands on one of those machines but not going to happen anytime soon with my budget :(

Definitely worth every penny, I just don't have enough spare pennies :)

And then there's that exceptionally nice customized version of Slic3r that takes a lot of guesswork out of getting decent prints. That may be the "icing on the cake" for me... i.e. I'm thinking my old printers are much more capable of quality prints than I ever imagined. I look forward to going back, tuning them up, and seeing what they are capable of with more refined print settings. But this new Prusa printer is definitely going to take "center stage" in my workshop and future development activities. It's so much easier to set up and use than my other printers :D

I've been using their slic3r variant pretty much since it was released and have been very happy. Did have a minor issue where my heated bed wasn't turning off after prints, but just added the gcode to disable it to the end code and all good. I'm guessing I had that in there before and missed it or the non prusa version would add it in the main code and the prusa doesn't for some reason...not sure what was going on there.

I've definitely noticed an improvement in my print quality with it though. The 3D infill is better and the variable layer heights rock. Their coder is also really responsive to issues and is cranking out updates way faster than the core slic3r team.

Needless to say, I am very happy with this machine so far and look forward to playing with it more... and want to try at least a couple more filament types to round out my 3dprinting experience a bit. [Don't worry, Jason... you're still the "guru" of 3d printing on this forum IMHO ;)]

Plenty here who print better than me and have been doing it longer. I just talk a lot and share my experiments so it skews perception ;)

Verris

Finished my enclosure last weekend.

http://imgur.com/a/w2oGx

Now I've got a new hardened steel nozzle coming with a filament order tomorrow, some new igus bearings sometime this week and the mk2S upgrade kit sometime in the next month.

dkj4linux

Elite member
Thanks for the compliments, guys! I'm really gonna have to get busy to justify getting this machine though... discovering their customized Slic3r didn't really require purchase of their machine, as Jason attests. I suspect I'll need to build an awful lot of Eggbots, LowRiders, MPCNC's, CamSliders, Prusa I3 Mk2 clones, etc. to really get my money's worth but, then... where am I going to put them? :rolleyes: -- David

dkj4linux

Elite member
3d print a new shed to keep your 3d printers in.

LOL...

BTW I really like your enclosure, Verris. It definitely makes the whole thing far more presentable to those we must share the space with. Me...I'm a slob, hard of hearing, and live alone so the clutter and noise aren't a problem. I just have to keep a narrow trail open through the mess and turn up the TV a bit and I'm good to go ;) -- David

dkj4linux

Elite member
A plan...

As most of you have "discerned" by now... I rarely truly finish anything. I get things *functional* to satisfy my curiosity and then move on to the next thing, as my nose leads me. So I have all these different machines -- yes... -- but none (except for the new Prusa printer) have any wire management or electronics enclosure built for them... none are really presentable or portable. So, hopefully, while I'm still enjoying using my new printer, I'll while away my TV/movie/nap-time hours keeping that machine printing accessories to make my previous projects more presentable. That's my plan anyway...

So, I'm starting with electronics enclosures. Most of my current machines are Arduino/RAMPS driven so I found a 'thing' out on Thingiverse to print and fit check. Sliced it up with my new Slic3r and got it started printing... it's going along nicely at the moment and uses honeycomb infill (no biggie but a "first" for me)...

20170503_093231.jpg

I also need to stay with my Onshape learning efforts... so far I've watched a bunch of tutorials and actually replicated the enclosure/box from this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj-oZgmRB2w). I used to use CAD programs a lot when I worked in industry but these newer, browser-based CAD programs seem so much nicer and more powerful. It will take some time getting used to them. But time I have (an assumption... I'm not a fortune-teller ;))... so I'll probably take a shot at designing my own enclosures for my machines. I've also downloaded Jason's redrawn Eggbot and want to spend some time with it.

Boring I know... but it's who I am and what I do :rolleyes:

-- David

Last edited:

x33

Hi...back again!

In the last weeks, I've had to do some other things (new house...desintegrated my DLG...fixed/repaired a few planes for summer...and many more)
I also finished the work on my router to 90%...works fine, even with the smaller driver stages....and the needler ist still working fine :).
Now, I'm still gambling with the control of the laser....but it will make more sense, install the original (bigger) motor drivers first.

Greetings from (still cold) Germany
Joachim

dkj4linux

Elite member
Hi...back again!

In the last weeks, I've had to do some other things (new house...desintegrated my DLG...fixed/repaired a few planes for summer...and many more)
I also finished the work on my router to 90%...works fine, even with the smaller driver stages....and the needler ist still working fine :).
Now, I'm still gambling with the control of the laser....but it will make more sense, install the original (bigger) motor drivers first.

Greetings from (still cold) Germany
Joachim

Good to hear from you, Jaochim. Have you won any of your RC/CNC/flying buddies over to the needle-cutter yet?

I'd love to see how your CNC is coming along. I tried to belt and set up my light-weight Makeblock machine the same as yours but ran into skewing/racking problems and eventually went fully CoreXY (posts #1231 through #1239). I'm very pleased with how it turned out... it's a neat little laser engraver/cutter.

Did you ever video you flying your needle-cut Shocky60(?) planes? If so, I'd love to see it and any photos. :D

Again, it's great to hear from you! -- David (from *heating up* east Texas)