Cutting foam sheets... with a needle!

dkj4linux

Elite member
Thanks, Graham. for the walk-through. It's those "thought experiments" that I find most fascinating and fun. :D

And yeah, you can probably get away with a bit of flex for a needle-cutter or pen-plotter :unsure:

-- David

graza

First cut! I eventually had time to get the spinner printed and assembled. I used the minimal spinner in CapnBry's TimSav Wheelie design, tweaked the parameters for the bearings that I have - just a small update to the OpenSCAD design. As I showed above, these little bearings have a V-slot which is perfect for wrapping a needle around and no worries about it coming off. The bearing doesn't get hot at all.

I took the following photo for this post and noticed that unfortunately the minimal spinner design is coming apart already. Perhaps I can glue it back together... :eek: But I probably should go for something more robust like the 'standard' flywheel design rather than having M3 bolts flying around the room.

IMG_4394.jpg

The 'V6' 3D printer nozzle is glued in with wood glue. So far so good, but it does get hot. My gantry, consisting of two extrusions back to back, seems to be allowing a fair amount of movement in the Z carriage. It seems not too terrible for the needle cutter.

For some reason everything just stopped half way through. I blame the dodgy Arduino Uno clone that came with the CNC shield. I've had a devil of a time getting it to hold on to the GRBL sketch, and I'm having to re-flash it regularly.

Anyway, Happy Hallowe'en! I found this Ghost SVG (with a CC0 license) and processed it with Inkscape and the extension as found in the ERC TimSav thigiverse page. Easy!

Cheers,
Graham

IMG_4395.jpg

sirjaymz

This is great to see... Others making good on cutting.. I'm excited.. Should be recieving 90% of the parts today to finish the MPCNC and needle cutter assemblies.. so hopefully. come this weekend, I can get some cuts going.. Thanks for the video above. :)

dkj4linux

Elite member
Thank you for your kind words. That's a fantastic looking machine... and I wish you *tons of fun* cutting planes.

I haven't posted here in a while as the thread has slowed to a crawl... but I'm literally in the middle of moving back to my place in rural East Texas; i.e. we packed the truck this evening and are headed out tomorrow. This will be my last post for a while and then I'll power down my laptop and stick it in a box for the move. Unfortunately, I'll be saddled once again with pretty poor internet in my new old rural residence. But hopefully I'll be able to get back online in a few days and once again be able to interact with my internet friends.

Have fun, stay safe, and... Happy Thanksgiving!

-- David

sirjaymz

Hey guys... need some direction.. I printed this needle cutter frame, but am confused on which mount I am suppose to use on my Z-axis to attach it to. it references hicwic's universal mount.. .but not sure which one I should print.

Attachments

• E4A3E33C-B6B9-4656-A63E-E8C043D33F65.jpeg
    E4A3E33C-B6B9-4656-A63E-E8C043D33F65.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • CFB262FC-C0B6-45F7-9248-300B5D493A85.jpeg
    CFB262FC-C0B6-45F7-9248-300B5D493A85.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • A1926361-BB90-4A82-A6D8-0B940B5A77A0.jpeg
    A1926361-BB90-4A82-A6D8-0B940B5A77A0.jpeg
  • 113C3D2C-1E43-41A0-934F-77F2166C3546.jpeg
    113C3D2C-1E43-41A0-934F-77F2166C3546.jpeg
    819.9 KB · Views: 0
  • B25B4C1E-8C4C-4688-BA5A-9FCC00F511F6.jpeg
    B25B4C1E-8C4C-4688-BA5A-9FCC00F511F6.jpeg
  • FB684C45-E6AF-470A-8554-D4DF8E33F103.jpeg
    FB684C45-E6AF-470A-8554-D4DF8E33F103.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Michael9865

Elite member
Hey guys... need some direction.. I printed this needle cutter frame, but am confused on which mount I am suppose to use on my Z-axis to attach it to. it references hicwic's universal mount.. .but not sure which one I should print.

This mount was used on https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:724999/files. Back when I modified/printed it attached to the part called “C-ToolMount.stl.” Now I see the current revisions have two different versions of the tool mount file, so I am unsure which to recommend. See my post 1424, https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/cutting-foam-sheets-with-a-needle.24251/post-360287, for what tool mount it was modified to attach to.

sirjaymz

This mount was used on https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:724999/files. Back when I modified/printed it attached to the part called “C-ToolMount.stl.” Now I see the current revisions have two different versions of the tool mount file, so I am unsure which to recommend. See my post 1424, https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/cutting-foam-sheets-with-a-needle.24251/post-360287, for what tool mount it was modified to attach to.
Thanks Michael - I'm happy to see you still on the forum.

With your guidance, I was able to determine that the Z-axis and the mount spacing for the Primo and the Burly line up correctly, which means that v1engineering did not change the Z-axis layout or spacing. The mount Tool_Mount_C_4mm.STL lines up exactly.

Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction.

sirjaymz

I was able to get it together. Not the most refined , but I like the Agile/Scrum method anyway. I’ll go back and improve designs/method after I have a fully functioning machine. :)

Attachments

• 5DE3FD93-FD81-449A-9715-8D4DDBADEEC4.jpeg
    5DE3FD93-FD81-449A-9715-8D4DDBADEEC4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
so i had the parts printed for this about a year and half ago. it has been so long ago that i can't seem to find the original plans and supply list. does anyone have a link?

think i finally found someone to help with the arduino side of things which has been my limiting factor.

thanks,

me :cool:

sirjaymz

so i had the parts printed for this about a year and half ago. it has been so long ago that i can't seem to find the original plans and supply list. does anyone have a link?

think i finally found someone to help with the arduino side of things which has been my limiting factor.

thanks,

So this past year, Allted (Ryan) Released the Primo model, and the Burly was the previous model. The Burly has allot more support in Thingiverse than the Primo. I've been struggling to find the comparable, without having to remix allot of things to make it come together. The primary components are one thing, but all the ancillary parts, such as RAMPS, RAMbo board plastic case, or teh drag chains, or all the other small things that fellow contributors have provided, make it go together simpler I'd would think.
I am happy to say, at least I am finally getting close to getting to the first test print. Still have allot of dupont crimps to perform, but getting there.

I hope you are able to find what you are needing for your setup. Arduino means you have something like the boards i mentioned above. I am running Marlin on the SKR Pro 1.2, so not sure I would be much help. I am in the process of setting up a laptop to control it, but I need to re-read some of @dkj4linux posts at the beginning to make sure I am pointed in the right direction still.

Good Luck on yours. Let me know if you need help.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
pretty sure i have the original model. i have everything i need except for hardware (nuts and bolts) and know there was a list of all required stuff somewhere. i just cant seem to find it. i will keep looking and hopefully dig something up.

thanks,

sirjaymz

pretty sure i have the original model. i have everything i need except for hardware (nuts and bolts) and know there was a list of all required stuff somewhere. i just cant seem to find it. i will keep looking and hopefully dig something up.

thanks,

Yeah.. it's taken me a little bit of scouring to figure our the V1 website, but here's a link for ya.
https://docs.v1engineering.com/mpcnc/burly/parts/

EDIT: - One thing I would recommend, just order all the nuts and bolts from boltdepot.com. I went completely metric. so much easier ;)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
once again, it has been so long i don't know. i assume so. i have all the original .stl files somewhere, will have to dig deep though.

i'm just kinda crossing fingers at this point. i have the supply list and will check it against, see where we are.

laters,