Cutting your A and B fold slots

jim_w

I've struggled cutting the fold slots to the proper width on scratchbuilds. Seems I get it too wide or too narrow no matter what. Out of necessity I made myself a cutter. Popsicle sticks, #11 blades, CA, and CA kicker. Super simple and so far works every time! Hope this helps someone.

The two middle sticks between the #11 xacto blades are glued together first, then have to be sanded to narrow the slot width slightly. You could do a much neater job making the tool than I did, but once it dulls it gets tossed anyway! I only use it to score or mark my slot, then I use a single blade cutter to deepen the scores.

Attachments

• 20160607_093218.jpg
    20160607_093218.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20160607_093236.jpg
    20160607_093236.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20160607_093310.jpg
    20160607_093310.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Nice! I've been gluing exact blades on either side of a scrap of foam, but that can get squishy sometimes if I press the foam too hard.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Another good option is to peel the paper off both sides of a piece of DTFB and then glue a blade to each side. I have made two of this type tool and they work well.

Spitfire222

Not a skater
This is brilliant and I can't believe I didn't think of something similar myself. I only scratchbuild FT planes, and so far I've just been eye-balling the widths as best as I can, with varying results. I'm going to make myself a tool like this ASAP! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

jim_w

This is brilliant and I can't believe I didn't think of something similar myself. I only scratchbuild FT planes, and so far I've just been eye-balling the widths as best as I can, with varying results. I'm going to make myself a tool like this ASAP! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Thanks...:cool:.....it's trial and error getting the popsicle sticks between the blades sanded to the correct width, but worth the effort in my case as I've always had problems using the TLAR (That looks about right) method to cut my fold slots!

I've considered modding an x-zacto handle by dremeling another slot into the chuck, or, using popsicle sticks and drilling a small hole for a tiny nut and bolt thru the #11 blade to make them replaceable versus tossing when dull. Another thought is to use a wooden dowel about the diameter of an x-zacto handle and dremel two slots in the end of it spaced correctly. You could then drill thru it for a small bolt to pass thru the holes in the blade and tighten them up!

jim_w

Here is a version of the wooden dowl handle version. It works, but needs some refinement. I used a piece of DTFB with the paper peeled off both sides as my width guage. Instead of just a self tapping screw, I need to use a nut and bolt.

FWIW...I use these only to make the initial cut, then use my single blade knife/razor to deepen the score!

Attachments

• 20160607_115808.jpg
    20160607_115808.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20160607_115835.jpg
    20160607_115835.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20160607_115906.jpg
    20160607_115906.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Heavy313

I just measure 5mm and it seems to work fine ;) but I love that wooden handle dowel with the replaceable blades, should make it easier!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You should get this made up to be 3d printed and sell them. who knows maybe you could make some pocket money for your efforts and willingness to share.

TeckRC

That wooden handle is a great idea, i would also need some kind of stopper to cuz my problem is i always cut to deep and go through the other side of the paper. haha

Jugsy

This works great, I'm a big fan of using a piece of foamboard between blades as it's already the perfect width, but I like the more permanent solutions!

Just had a thought, how hard would it be to mount one of these on a slide cutter?

I really need to make one of these. I don't have a issue cutting perfect slots I usually just mark a dot on each side where they go and use a straight edge and take my time. This would really speed things up for me though. I'm definitely going to file this in my to do list for the next build.

Imzzaudae

Hey Mark. Any numbers on that handle. I took a look around, cannot find it.

I'm glad I'm not alone. I have struggled with this one on every model, I'm always out a bit one way or the other.
Maybe FT will come up with a custom deluxe model for the store!

Thumbs up. I'm going to have to create one of my own.
Ron

Last edited: