Cw or ccw propeller

Belial2801

Hello, I don't know if this is the correct topic but I couldn't find another one, so this is my question, whats the biggest difference between a cw propeller and a ccw propeller, if i use a ccw propeller could it reduce the engine thrust? Im building my first plane ( ft simple cub) and i almost finish but only have that question.

Setup in case of be necessary:

Brushless motor a2212 1000kv

1045 propeller

esc 30A

1500 mAh 3s Battery

Thanks.

Foamforce

It’s a convention that all single engine planes have a CCW prop (viewed from in front of the plane). There is no difference in performance. However, a CCW prop pulls slightly left at takeoff, whereas a CW prop would pull slightly right. If you get used to the wrong way, then you’ll have a slightly more difficult time flying most other planes because you’re used to correcting in the wrong direction. That’s the theory anyhow. I have a couple planes with CW props because that’s way I had on hand. I honestly don’t notice any difference.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with foamforce, with planes, use whichever prop you want. The rotation doesn’t matter.
Not so with quads, you need to have the correct rotation in the correct spot or things will go horribly wrong.

Tench745

Master member
Because this is your first plane I think it's worth mentioning that you have to match the motor's rotation with whichever prop you use. If you use a CCW prop the motor will need to spin Counter-ClockWise. If you're using a CW prop it will need to spin ClockWise. If your motor is turning the wrong direction for the prop you're using, just unplug and switch any 2 of the 3 wires running from the ESC to the motor and that will reverse the direction. And always test these things with the prop taken off. Nobody wants a prop bite.

joelspangler

A lot of the plans for planes have down and right thrust built in (point the motor like 2 degrees down and right). Down to prevent pulling the plane up, and right to prevent the plane wanting to roll with high throttle. If you change the motor's rotation, and the motor is still mounted at 2 degrees right, it may want to help the plane want to roll with high throttle even more. Certainly not a problem if you are using a stabilizer, but if you are flying a "dumb" receiver you'll probably need to manually correct the roll. Not something you can really "trim" out using the transmitter because if you correct at high throttle, it'll just roll the other way while gliding.

Edit - also wanted to point out that you can modify the angle too. Either make it just down thrust (no right), or add the 2 degrees left. I'd probably set it to straight, and if rolling was a problem, use thin washers as shims to add the left.

Belial2801

A lot of the plans for planes have down and right thrust built in (point the motor like 2 degrees down and right). Down to prevent pulling the plane up, and right to prevent the plane wanting to roll with high throttle. If you change the motor's rotation, and the motor is still mounted at 2 degrees right, it may want to help the plane want to roll with high throttle even more. Certainly not a problem if you are using a stabilizer, but if you are flying a "dumb" receiver you'll probably need to manually correct the roll. Not something you can really "trim" out using the transmitter because if you correct at high throttle, it'll just roll the other way while gliding.

Edit - also wanted to point out that you can modify the angle too. Either make it just down thrust (no right), or add the 2 degrees left. I'd probably set it to straight, and if rolling was a problem, use thin washers as shims to add the left.
I've been reading about this but I still cant find the way to know if the angle is correct, do you know of any application to check it?

Belial2801

Because this is your first plane I think it's worth mentioning that you have to match the motor's rotation with whichever prop you use. If you use a CCW prop the motor will need to spin Counter-ClockWise. If you're using a CW prop it will need to spin ClockWise. If your motor is turning the wrong direction for the prop you're using, just unplug and switch any 2 of the 3 wires running from the ESC to the motor and that will reverse the direction. And always test these things with the prop taken off. Nobody wants a prop bite.
Thanks, I didn't know this

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...do you know of any application to check it?
A simple protractor is what I use to set my thrust angle. Set it up the best you can, I seldom change the stock settings. The only way to know if it is correct is to fly the plane. Tweeting the thrust angel is last thing I change, it's by far the least critical thing. The down thrust needs changing far more often than right or left.

Belial2801

A simple protractor is what I use to set my thrust angle. Set it up the best you can, I seldom change the stock settings. The only way to know if it is correct is to fly the plane. Tweeting the thrust angel is last thing I change, it's by far the least critical thing. The down thrust needs changing far more often than right or left.
Good idea, and thanks for your help