Dabbling with the dark side of the force...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Hi guys,

I guess this day was inevitable. I've decided to start thinking seriously about getting a multi for FPV. I generally don't fly things with 'rotors', but multi-rotors are just too good at what they do for me to ignore them.

Initially my thoughts were to get something like the Beetle (Banggood sourced most likely) and learn to fly one LOS. But after having a go both LOS and FPV on Phoenix at glydr's place the other night, I've discovered I can fly them much better FPV (assuming the sim is anything like reality). I don't get lost, I don't accidentally tilt the wrong direction, and most importantly I can look at objects and fly around them going sideways.

I've already got a flight controller. It's the new MultiWii PRO with GPS. I've played with it a bit to try and get it working with ArduplaneNG, but I've not broken through with the programming and everyone else who's bought one has used it with either MultiWii or MPNG firmware. From the feedback on RCG, this is a great board for multis.

So the plan is to make/buy a frame and fly it pretty much exclusively FPV. I'm hoping to source parts as cheaply and locally as possible (either my local hardware shop or the Aus HK warehouse so I don't have to anxiously wait weeks for the one crucial bit that will make it fly...).

What I was thinking was:
X525 frame
DST-1200 motors (these are a known quantity to me and a quality motor)
Blue Series 20A ESCs
and 8045 props. In both rotation configurations of course.
Oh, and a distribution board.

Any thoughts? Am I on the right track? I'm just planning to put a Sony CCD, HK HD wing cam, and IRC 600mW 5.8Ghz system on there, and run it off my 2200 3s batteries that I already have.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Do not dabble - it is dangerous.
I have all gears for a multi well hidden on a shelf and really hope that i don't fall into the dark side and start assemble something that stupid. One motor is nice - two are acceptable - but multi belongs to the other side.

earthsciteach

Nooo! Resist the dark side you must!

These things are not meant to fly. Lose just a single motor and gravity will do horrible things to your monetary investment.
How many motors does the typical fixed wing aircraft require to fly? ONE! For the time and expense you are going to spend on this flying abomination, you can build three fixed wing aircraft!

If you cannot resist the temptation of the dark side, at least build something cool looking. Give it some style. Hide the wires, boards, escs, motors within a nice looking body. Or, make something that is going to frighten and confuse people.

earthsciteach

Not to hijack - but a friend of mine in the neighborhood has put out a trail cam to catch whomever has been removing his campaign signs. I do wish I had a multirotor right now, because I would totally make something unexplainable fly in front of the camera. Maybe a flying, severed head?

He's already thinking he's picking up some weird activity due to some strange, blurred streaks that show up from time to time. I'm pretty sure its birds flying by and setting off the camera. But, he thinks its something on the paranormal side! LOL

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
If you cannot resist the temptation of the dark side, at least build something cool looking. Give it some style. Hide the wires, boards, escs, motors within a nice looking body. Or, make something that is going to frighten and confuse people.

Exactly. I think that an H-Quad with a Scooby Doo Mystery Machine body would be awesome. Just seeing a bunch of noisy flying blades does nothing for me.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
With all the dark side references I thought you were buying a Skywalker!

But yes, no denying that multis are awesome in every way, just like helicopters.

I'm not the expert, but I think that setup might be a bit underpowered for your 3S2200 and other gear. I'm a fan of copying other people's success (e.g. why not a windestal tricopter).

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
With all the dark side references I thought you were buying a Skywalker!

Nope, I have a Raptor. No need for a Skywalker (at this stage).

I was initially thinking DT750s and 1147 props, but there'd be a bit too much prop in the picture? But surely 4 of those DST1200s should be enough (with some to spare)?

I'm with you on this teach, that they are not meant to fly. If only there was a way to do what they do with wings... I was thinking the X525 frame for practicality - I'm afraid it'd look much like any other quad... But at least, flying FPV, I wouldn't see it. Would give the cows out at Lambrigg Lookout something to moo about.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Nooo! Resist the dark side you must!

These things are not meant to fly. Lose just a single motor and gravity will do horrible things to your monetary investment.
How many motors does the typical fixed wing aircraft require to fly? ONE! For the time and expense you are going to spend on this flying abomination, you can build three fixed wing aircraft!

Yes on a Tri or Quad losing one motor is catastrophic but a hex can fly on 4 motors and an octo can fly on 4 as well (if they are not all on the same side of course).

Come to the Dark Side ;), there are many Skywalkers here (Skywalker ESC's that is).

Lobstermash, do a FliteTest H-Quad, It is cheap, carries weight and FPV gear well, can be built quickly, will not make you as sad when crashed as will more expensive frames.

Try to use 10X5's or 11X4's (better) at 700 to 1000kv.

Thurmond

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Good suggestion Thurmond. I'll give the H-Quad a go. Part of the attraction of the frame I linked was price - it's around $20. Thanks for your input guys!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
How rude... Someone just bought the last five DT750s from the Australian Warehouse. I tried adding all the gear to my cart from the international warehouse, but it'll work out about $10-15 more thanks to postage. Given a few things are on backorder, I'll build the H-frame and wait for stuff to come into the Aus warehouse.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I have 3 of these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8622__2213N_800Kv_Brushless_Motor.html
that I am going to try in a Tri with HK Blue 12A ESC's. The comments indicate that they are pretty good for multi's but my favorites are the NTM Prop Drive series (I use the 35-30's 1100kv with 10x4 props on my APM2 controlled quad with 40A simonK flashed esc's) although they are more expensive and require a bit more thought to mounting since an extra spinner kit is needed and a shaft then protrudes from the bottom (they are stock for inside bulkhead mounting, no kit required). I have never had the good fortune of finding the DT 700's or 750's in stock when I was ordering.

Thurmond

Last edited: