Dad looking to start a father son activity

Frankyd835

Hey everyone,
I am a novice when it comes to FPV Drone. I am currently in RC Dirt oval Racing and rock crawling but my son is more interested in drone and flying. So far we have a frame and motors everything else is needed. I don't know what transmitter would be the best for a beginner in the air.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hello. I am supposing your name is Frank.

Doing this hobby with people is what really makes it so pleasant and having the company you share family like your son makes all the better.

Where in the world will you be flying? How old is your son?

Regarding your question, it's not an uncommon one. It's a good question because the transmitter is often one of the more lasting and expensive things you'll need in this hobby. There are many choices out there but a few that have been very popular over the past several years along with some other popular new-comers. Here is a link to a thread, Which Transmitter You Should Buy, some of us put together to help give a sort of introduction into these more popular transmitters. The introduction isn't exhaustive or all-inclusive but it is a very good start as you consider what is right for you.

Check it out and be all means ask questions here or in the other thread. Either is fine. You will find the members in the forum here are more than happy to share recommendations to help you and your son get off to a great start in this hobby.

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

Frankyd835

Btw.. My namee is Dustin. Francis is my middle Name

We plan on flying around in a feild behind our house and maybe some parks. he is 7 years old. he want s to race them someday lol

I am thinking about getting the frysky taranis transmitter. it seems less complicated.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Btw.. My namee is Dustin. Francis is my middle Name

We plan on flying around in a feild behind our house and maybe some parks. he is 7 years old. he want s to race them someday lol

I am thinking about getting the frysky taranis transmitter. it seems less complicated.

Welcome to the FliteTest forums, Dustin.

The Taranis is my radio of choice and in the right hands it is an AMAZING thing. I know of no more features for your money unless you look at the QX-7 also by FrSky. The receivers are tiny. Telemetry is awesome and Amber...

But.

It runs OpenTX and as such it has a STEEP learning curve. It is the most complicated radio I have seen. It is NOT less complicated.

It is totally worth it if you want to think long term. Jim is right. The radio you buy will impact every flight of every model so take your time on this decision.

Just, if you go Taranis, be prepared to spend a weekend learning OpenTX and flashing that radio (installing Windows drivers) before you teach your boy to use it.

Also, buy the USB cable for the Taranis or have a data capable USB cable and save yourself an hour of frustration. A USB charging cable for a cell phone is often not suitable.

Personally, I would teach him how to fly on a NanoQX.

Bash this around while you do the build on your hobby grade craft. You are going to crash and break stuff. Might as well start cheap. :)