DAL "Indestructable" Props Question

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Lately I have been breaking quite a few props doing freestyle FPV. The Gemfan 6045s are nice and cheap, but they have separated mid flight on me twice and they break pretty easily. I've been pointed to the DAL "indestructible props" from surveillzone multiple times, but heard they don't have as much punch and efficiency as the famous HQ props. This was in reference to the DAL 6040s I believe because very recently they released the DAL 6045 props. Long story short I found the DAL 6045 props available from ReadyMadeRC who I've heard are really good. The price for a full set of props is actually cheaper than the Gemfans from Hobbyking. The big question is that I see both 6045 and 6x4.5 DAL props available. RMRC has a photo comparison of the two. One looks like a Gemfan 6045 prop (black) and the other looks like the classic DAL prop (green). So are both of these shapes as "indestructable" as the DALs Ive heard of? If so would the HQ/Gemfan looking prop be a better choice for efficiency?

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I think you're talking about two different kinds of props here. HQ props are not Gemfans.

Yea I thought it was confusing when I wrote that, but I do mean two different kinds of props. For reference here is the Gemfan HQ 6045 and here is the HQ props. I should probably just call them Gemfan 6045s and avoid the HQ that they are trying to be. Anyways I have tried both brands including the carbon HQs Airhawk. I really like HQ props (who doesn't), but they are too expensive for bushwacking.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
The unique thing about HQ props is they will break on ground impacts, but I have yet to break one blasting through brush. A small chip or so, but no full blown, out-of-the-game breaks.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
For future reference I asked ReadyMadeRC about the difference between the two 6" DAL props and here is their response:

The DAL 6" props are just like the ones that Surveilzone is selling. They are probably from the same manufacturer. The 6x4.5 has a little wider chord than the 6045. This is good for a slower quad for more lift. The 6045 is better for a lighter more agile quad generally. The 6x4.5 will load the motors a little more than the 6045 as well.

So I'm thinking I will pick up some 6045s to try out and made one or two 6X4.5 just to see.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I'd say try them both to compare :)

I'm still waiting on mine from surveilzone...at least now I have a tracking number...though it isn't coming up in the USPS system yet even though they said it's a USPS number....

One thing I've heard from a number of sources though is that the 6" aren't nearly as indestructible as the 5". They're still pretty tough, but a couple of vendors have told me they have broken quite a few of the 6" in "normal" crashes while the 5" seem to survive much longer.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
One thing I've heard from a number of sources though is that the 6" aren't nearly as indestructible as the 5". They're still pretty tough, but a couple of vendors have told me they have broken quite a few of the 6" in "normal" crashes while the 5" seem to survive much longer.

Good to know. I'll try the 5" when I go to 4s, but for now I like the power of 6" props.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Good to know. I'll try the 5" when I go to 4s, but for now I like the power of 6" props.

Me too :) That's why I haven't flown the one set of 5" props they did send me very much ;) Sure hope that tracking number starts giving results soon!

nilsen

I was out flying on the HQ 5x4.5 bullnose but as you all know, looking at them funny can cause them to break so eventually I ran out.

I slapped on some of these DAL props from Surveillzone and they were aweful compared to the 5x45 in terms of punch and much more importantly, balance. The quad rattled and "slipped" in yaw all the time, the poor thing was skaking so much at full throttle I though bits would fall off. I'm not sure if balancing would solve it as it seems extreme.

My friend tried another set and had the same thing happen. I guess you get what you pay for. Although it must be said, they are very very tough.