Dal Mach1 build back in action

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Anyone who keeps up with what I do knows the end of last season I fried a new build I was setting up and had very close to dialed in for racing. The build thread is here https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...quads-a-complete-walk-thru.56770/#post-463449 . I had been lazy and skipped my preflight checks ONCE since it flew great the evening before. I ended up having loose and lost motor screws which in turn over worked EVERYTHING. Needless to say two motors and an expensive esc later I earned myself the magic poof of smoke.

Moral of this pro-log.... DONT BE A LAZY #$%&@#$% and check your gear before each session.

So over winter and thru most of spring I gathered the parts needed to rebuild. I couldnt sleep a few nights ago because it was over 95 degrees at 2 am here so I started breaking down the Mach 1 to do a damage assessment of what was needed. It was just what I needed to push away this really foul and depressed mood I have been in this entire year so far. I managed to tear it all down. Clean and sand the paint I was ehhh on and repaint it a brighter metalic purple instead of the gurly bathroom lavender color the other paint turned out to be. That cured for a day and a half until last night.

I woke up around 1:30 am just sweating and all uncomfortable. I started watching some Deep Space 9 I have been doing my 18 month binge re-watching and it wasn't holding my attention. I checked on the frame paint and it felt solid enough to handle without leaving marks so I decided to throw on the new motors to see how they looked. Two and a half hours later I was holding a completed quad and looking for the usb cable to do the basic set up.

As it sits I is now configured with
Racedayquads Mach1 frame.
Dal F722 Dual gyro flight controller
Dal Rocket 45 45 amp 4 in one esc
Catalyst Machine Works Cannonball v2 2406 2330kv motors
Dal Cyclone 5046 tri blades
Iflight Force 5804 vtx
Runcam Microswift 2 camera
Lumenieer Axii stubby antenna
Ummagrip battery pad.

20200629_194739.jpg 20200629_194749.jpg 20200629_194759.jpg 20200629_194808.jpg

Today I burned 9 packs tweaking PIDS and rates and this was the second to last flight of the day as the changes I made went too far and I induced oscillations more in hard turns then I was trying to lessen the minor ones in this flight. You can see what a lot of the settings I use are as I now have smart audio set up and not changing things in Lua scripts like before due my lack of knowledge at the time how to set it up properly.

So as of this flight It is off to a great start as it runs far cooler with ZERO betaflight filtering just PID adjustments on higher pitch props and is starting to get to where I will have to up the camera tilt back to 85 degrees again to keep from looking at nothing but grass. I also have to relearn how to land again as I been flying low tilt cine style on various quads this year on the times I did manage to find motivation to actually fly. Ill post a new thread on my 3 inch build I been messing with this year.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Two and a half hours later I was holding a completed quad and looking for the usb cable to do the basic set up.

Funny how that works at 2 in the morning. :)

Nice to see you flying. Love to see how well she stops at the end of the hard 180s. My tri-copter would be wobbling like a Weeble.

Beautiful quad. The purple really makes it yours. ;)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thank you sir!! hopefully I can keep that magic smoke in this one for more then a few weeks. I still need to acquire a new top plate to replace this one with the missing camera guard. they are outta stock every time I check up on them.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
From the land beyond beyond.

From the world past hope and fear.

I bid you Genie, now appear.

Plugs in lipo without smokestopper.

Poof, the ESC, the motor and a brand new flight controller. Not even Barani could fly that one anymore. Wife still reminds me of the smell when I get crazy with the soldering iron or heat gun or when the fireplace acts up.

The worst part is you don't even get to crash it. It didn't crash and burn it just burnt. Heartbreaking man.

Welcome back. De-curse that copter with a good hawk episode! :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
From the land beyond beyond.

From the world past hope and fear.

I bid you Genie, now appear.

Plugs in lipo without smokestopper.

Poof, the ESC, the motor and a brand new flight controller. Not even Barani could fly that one anymore. Wife still reminds me of the smell when I get crazy with the soldering iron or heat gun or when the fireplace acts up.

The worst part is you don't even get to crash it. It didn't crash and burn it just burnt. Heartbreaking man.

Welcome back. De-curse that copter with a good hawk episode! :)

I made a smoke stopper on my first rebuild of my Versacopter after reading about some one else popping a fresh build. ANY time I do solder work or fly in damp weather the next power up has the bulb on it. Used it three times last night for the drive train, the receiver and finally the vtx / camera addition. I was so happy to see the lower brightness of flashing as the new motors played the boot sequence then the 2550's did.

I think the hawks are in quarantine too this year. Most I have seen up at once so far was 3. Usually there are 6 to 10 that fledged local to my flying areas. Did have other curious birds checking out everything I fly. I think that tiny quiet 3 incher has em stumped after all the 5 inch rowdiness that usually occurs here. They linger around it more.. not sure if they are thinking friend, food, or intruder though. Oh.. I also managed to do my first rubics cubes while trying to dial in rates on it.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I made a smoke stopper on my first rebuild of my Versacopter after reading about some one else popping a fresh build. ANY time I do solder work or fly in damp weather the next power up has the bulb on it. Used it three times last night for the drive train, the receiver and finally the vtx / camera addition. I was so happy to see the lower brightness of flashing as the new motors played the boot sequence then the 2550's did.

I think the hawks are in quarantine too this year. Most I have seen up at once so far was 3. Usually there are 6 to 10 that fledged local to my flying areas. Did have other curious birds checking out everything I fly. I think that tiny quiet 3 incher has em stumped after all the 5 inch rowdiness that usually occurs here. They linger around it more.. not sure if they are thinking friend, food, or intruder though. Oh.. I also managed to do my first rubics cubes while trying to dial in rates on it.
I never thought about putting the smokestopper on in the field. I thought it was only a bench tool.:rolleyes:
BTW you were ripping hard! Do you race at all? That quad looks like it had tons of traction in the hairpin turns.

If you go to Flite Fest 2021 I'll race you!:p

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I never thought about putting the smokestopper on in the field. I thought it was only a bench tool.:rolleyes:
BTW you were ripping hard! Do you race at all? That quad looks like it had tons of traction in the hairpin turns.

If you go to Flite Fest 2021 I'll race you!:p

I usually dont bring a smoke stopper to the field because the one I use is home made with a glass bulb. Bills law dictates that explodes in my bag and I cut myself so I'll not tempt fate hehe. As its just the other side of the complex where I live If something gets wet I stop flying it and wait til later at home to check it out.

Id love to race but sadly where I am there is only 2 people local I know that fly. One is a kid with a sima x5 he breaks out a few times a summer, does some flippy floppies and the puts it away for a while. The other is a phantom owner that does "photography" for the ambulance company and family members and I havent seen him around in years. Not having a vehicle and depending on shoe leather express to go anywhere I dont branch out too far so ehh.

AS for the set up this is early stage and super slow compared to what it was before as well as my other builds. It still washes out in turns and I HAVE to stall it. When I am done you will see I will be slowing just before the turn and powering hard thru it and not stopping but instead gaining speed.I will document changes. Right now I am pulling nothing in turns amp wise only 20 maybe 30 amps. I should be pushing 70+ amps and using 85 degree camera tilt not the 50 ish I have right now. Hopefully I can at some point do another straight line speed run on the 5050 bi blades and get one of the local police to clock it on radar to get an official top speed.

For comparison here is a video back when I was setting up TAZ my other racer.

and last summer working on tightening up his turning agility.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Does Rubic's Cube now mean something other than the '80s puzzle?

Yes its a trick done with a quad. You flip upside down, do a complete roll returning to inverted then finish with either a front or back have flip to resume normal flight. the closer to the ground or objects you do they more impressive it is because its all muscle memory and timing to execute it perfectly. So far I can only do them up high and slow only managing about a 1 in 8 success. Havent tried it on a 5 inch yet tho so may be easier on larger quads.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Already have the first few on video. just need to piece together a clip and post it. I was going to fly today but the weather looked ominus and I didnt want to charge packs go set up just to get rained on.. as it happened it only sprinkled on and off a few times but hey..

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Got out today to hit some more turns and work on the tune more. Didnt do anything yesterday so camera is still stock and I decided Ill be flashing this up to the latest BF in the next day or so. Its supposed to hit the 90's again for the next few days so not sure how much Im gonna fly. Im not worried about the quad as its staying freakishly cool compared to TAZ.

Here is the second to last pass of the day. I was fried so I just goofed around with setting cinewhoop pids and rates on the last pack.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Good flying! I know it was a test.

You are inspiring me to get mine working. I just got replacement arms for the Tyro99. And a better camera. Should be quick work with you suggested rates, I hope to be having fun this weekend.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Good flying! I know it was a test.

You are inspiring me to get mine working. I just got replacement arms for the Tyro99. And a better camera. Should be quick work with you suggested rates, I hope to be having fun this weekend.

Let me know if you need help. Id be willing to walk you thru it on skype if that would be easier then the forums with back and forth posting.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Was like 99 degrees today but I couldnt sit inside any longer. At least there was a nice breeze late in the afternoon so I decided to go rip four packs and see what the new camera settings looked like in the sun. Still needs a bit of tweaking but much better then stock and I can actually read the OSD more clearly now.

It was flying well after a few changes to P gains on my freestyle profile so I decided to try some Rubics cubes and Matty Flips to show Cranialrectosis what they are (or a relative facsimile of them). I actually hit a Rubics Cube nearly perfect at 1:45 the second attempt after the first one at 1:37. Did a few sad Matty flip attempts later in the video but they are hard in an open field with nothing to judge where you are in space.

Here is the third pack of the day working on speed run tune for racing. More about working out an even tighter rate for roll so it corners tighter in the upper throttle range. These motors did REALLY well considering the heat was at 99 ambient and they were barely much warmer then the freestyle run. Think I may have new go to motors now that EMAX isn't making my favorite white tops any longer.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
What impresses me most is how tight the copter is in the flips and turns.

You flip and the copter stops right where you want it to. That's tuning. Most copters wobble when the flip or turn stops.

This is not the result of hardware or software. This is the result of patience and experience.

Nicely done, @PsyBorg... Nicely done.