(Das) Little Stick Parkflyer Plans

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
I am not sure now. Structurally it makes sense to keep it upright like allenhat said, acting lik an I beam, more strength. Also I didn't even try it upright because everything lined up ok when I was just dry fitting pieces together. Ill have to go back through the thread and closely inspect the pics and posts of others. I was even thinking of putting a piece of similar size square wood or c.f. spar as I was building but when I initially read the thread I didn't hear of anybody having issues or wing fold and wouldn't think you would with such a small built up wing. Keep us posted. I'm gonna keep heading in the direction I'm going and see what happens.

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
Wing spar does look like it goes upright. See the pic in the very first post. I apologize to the forum for putting out bad info, I didn't even see allenhats post and i will be building a new wing, keeping this one also to try, maybe be ok for more of a faster ship but I wanted to put an emax 1804 on 3s in it and hopefully have a little bit slower flying ship. Allenhat, I noticed I misspelled a lot and may have been confusing about my experiences of the way to do the minwax on my planes. My apologies sir. Wife was rushing me out the door to go to the flea market.:). Does anybody have any input on using a emax 2822 on this. It's 800kv and a little heavier coming in at 30 grams. Any help much appreciated. This motor was given to me after a friend ordered one and they mistakenly shipped 2. Haven't had a use for it yet but was thinking that it may help solve the tail heavy build. I hate adding dead weight. Thanks in advance.

dgrigor02

I had pretty much wore out a tiny trainer. By the end, running no dihedral wing, 2204 emax motor on 4S battery and 6045 glass fiber prop. Had lots of fun with it and learned alot.

I also had lots of fun with 60% size spitfire on 1804 3S 500mah batter and 0530 or 0540 prop. Rcman50, If you still looking for a plane for the 1804. I highly recommend a mini spitfire. Great combination plenty aerobatic and climb yet can slow cruize too. It's for sure a keeper. I like just as much as the 100% spitfire.

So finally got this up and running, Flys great. Exactly what I was looking for. Running 2204 on 3S 800mah batter and 6045 prop. I run 100% throws but high 50% expo so its there when I want it to do rolls etc. but not too sensative normal flying. Total flying weight is 274g.

It Rolls much tighter than Tiny Trainer, flys inverted great. Unlimited vertical shoots up like a rocket when you want. I don't see any need to run try 4S battery with this combination, it is plenty zippy as is. Perfect size for our neightborhood park ( size is two softball fields + soccer field ).

I opted to skip the rudder, since a small plane didn't really think I needed it. The fullsized FT wood Firewalls fits the front just fine.

Its light blue and red tape ( tapebrothers.com ). I'm calling it the flying twinkie. I want to stick some MN Twins stickers on it.

attachment.php

I threw LEDs in it and fun to fly at night. Bottom of wing is red so you can see orientation in the air.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Allenhat

Looks good.

I am going to have to give LEDs a try sometime. Especially with the days getting shorter around here. Night flying would open up more flying time nicely.

What kind of flight times do you get with your power set up? I have thought of giving there slightly larger motors a try.

I am also might have to try out an 1804 with a 5x3 just for a comparison.

You are right that it doesn't need a rudder but I find myself trying to coordinate my turns with rudder even on the 3ch wing on my Tiny Trainer. So i figured i would leave it on there. Muscle memory from my heli days maybe.

Last edited:

Flyingninja

Wow, great design! I would love to build it but I have no way to print full size plans.:( Could you possibly make tiled plans?
Maybe SPONZ could make the plans. He is a tiled plans expert.

Thanks,
Flyingninja:cool:

dgrigor02

dgrigor02

Looks good.

I am going to have to give LEDs a try sometime. Especially with the days getting shorter around here. Night flying would open up more flying time nicely.

What kind of flight times do you get with your power set up? I have thought of giving there slightly larger motors a try.

I am also might have to try out an 1804 with a 5x3 just for a comparison.

You are right that it doesn't need a rudder but I find myself trying to coordinate my turns with rudder even on the 3ch wing on my Tiny Trainer. So i figured i would leave it on there. Muscle memory from my heli days maybe.

I just buy the 15' roll from seller on ebay, $7 free shipping. I've ordered multiple times from this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/18143551760...49&var=480407303317&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
You can cut every 3 leds. I just Y off 3s battery to provide the power and JST connectors, FT has a video on it for the details. I alway just get the cool whites ones and the tape provides the color I want. The soccer field we go is occupied alot during summer so dusk and sundown was about the only time we could get the local field whic prompted to use LEDs.

Flight times, vary greatly depending on much much you punch it. But easily still get 6 mins out of 800mah and the leds around 8-10 if gentle. Night flying when you start to approach 3v per cell the LEDs go real dim so good idea to be conservative or add an alarm.

The 60% spit the 1804 is perfect combination for it ( IMO ). While different plans, the spit is only a few inches smaller. So I bet if you cut some weight by removing rudder servo, smaller 3S battery, remove inner paper. I probably will work. My only concern is the firewall is a bit bulky and may block to much of the propeller thrust. For grins since so easy to build, I pretty much certain it can still have plenty of zip and aerobatic by reducing plans 10-15% in size. May give that a try just for fun I have several 1804s lying around as well.

If looking for other ideas for the 1804, 60% Versa Puser is plenty zippy with the 1804 as well and easy to light it up with LEDs. To balance out you do need 1000mah 3s battery or add frontend weight.

Last edited:

Allenhat

I am working on designing a Grumman Goose that I am going to try a pair of 1804s on and leave off the rudder. I have also thought about building a mini cruiser. I really like the power pod setup as making quick motor swaps are very easy. Just build more pods.

dgrigor02

Like everyone we have more plans than we do the time, I'm really interested in trying the dual motor Bronco that someone posted recently resized to mighty mini range.

Last edited:

Allenhat

My Goose should work with tape as it stands right now. I may tweak it slightly to work better though. I was trying to figure out a way to access the aft bamboo skewer after closing out the nacelle but reminding me of taping gave me a eureka moment for my design.

dgrigor02

Added a second plane, the flying gopher so my 12year old and I can fly together.

I removed paper from both sides and taped the exterior reduce the number of leds as well, flying weight 240g which is 30g lighter but it made the fuse much less rigid any hard nose dive and it will get trashed so I don't recommend. No tape on wings/tail though seem fine. Also with no paper, reinforce the holes with credit cards is a must even a pretty smooth belly landings wear the holes out.

I was contemplating doing the hotwax version of this plane at 60% to compare, I like the wing design better. The simplicity of this build though is the strong point and not sure I want to complicate it further. After about a dozen or so flights now, I wasn't happy with was the lift at higher speeds ( especially with night flying as its harder to judge ) but moving battery more forward and making nose heavy resolved it without having to add down thrust. Not perfect as lower speeds you do have to compensate with elevator a little.

I did try 5045 prop with the 2204 and while it flies, not near as much vertical so will stay with the 6045s. Plenty of pep, not Nerdnic speed but plenty for smaller parks. Still run full throws and 50% expo, not twitchy at all. For grins though, I will throw 4s in there and give it a try at some point later down the road.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Gaz.Spencer

Try building on of those with Coroplast, you'll get a lot more performance, and have a much stronger, and more rigid, and would be able to handle crashes a lot better

dgrigor02

While I have built several different planes since this one. This is still fun to fly I keep coming back to it just to zip around and go crazy with 2204 motor.

So I'm going to start working on a twin stick from this using a pair of 1804s. Since one 1804 isn't quite enough perhaps 2 will do the trick.

Last edited:

Allenhat

I keep finding myself coming back to fly this airplane more than any others I have built also. It is just a solid all around performing airplane even in higher wind conditions then one may think given its size.

dlcooper52

Seeking info

300g, wow. My motor is the right size. I have 400g thrust in my motor:D

Christopher, you seem knowledgeable about rubber motors. Can you please guide this newbie toward info about rubber motor practice (Book, article, web site, etc.)? I'm new to this and haven't been able to find "cook book" info, things such as how rubber ends are joined, where that joint should be positioned, how long the motor should be relative to the shown plan space, what simple lubricants are OK, etc. I'd be very grateful for any suggestion. :^)

Elevated

Looks nice. Still haven't built a foamboard plane and have been thinking of building a Stick of some sort. This looks like it might fit the bill. Why though is the wing missing the bottom portion about half wat to the tip?

dgrigor02

You can certainly go all the way to the end if you wanted. It helps to keep from tip stalling on turns at slower speeds. Adds a some drag and a little less speed but less likely to stall.

I've built at least 20 different plans now, this is still one of my favorites to just go crazy with at the neighborhood park especially near dusk with the leds in it. It's quite zippy with a 2204 in it. If your careful you can keep it under 250g so you don't have to register it.

I still have one in working order but AUW is 268 grams ( without landing gear). I plan on building another and use 3mm for the wings and tails to be sure its under 250grams.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks to everyone's help and inspiration in this thread, I have build my first stick! Building a Das Little Stick seemed like a great reuse of the guts from a FT Mini Speedster that just never flew right. Hopefully I'll be able to get weather cooperation this weekend and get it up in the air!

IMAG2297.jpg

IMAG2298.jpg

I'm planning on adding some LED's in the wings too - that just looks like lots of fun!

Thanks everyone!