(Das) Little Stick Parkflyer Plans

rfcgt

I extended the nose out some to get the pod/motor where the original was relative to the wing. Haven't built it yet so guess I'll find out balance when its built. There is always 1/4 oz weights. I'm building it with Ross board from Walmart (88 cents a sheet). Its a little heaver but stronger and its more water resistant then $tree.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
For your redesign and build you should consider your own thread. As for battery variable position a few pieces of velcro on the floor of the nose section allows batteries wrapped in velcro to be placed exactly to give the required CG. I try very hard to avoid any DEAD weight in a design. I feel it is better to carry a larger battery if necessary rather than an small battery and some lead weight.

With extra weight in your design the performance would be different to the plane posted originally in this thread and therefore at best your design would be Your version of the original design and at worst a completely different though similar looking model.

abieex

Mentor
Downloaded the plans and I'm now building my first one. I did have an extra 2204 on my bench and will be using it. Great simple plane and Im sure I will build a few more this winter. Will post pics later.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Finally found a photo of one of the Squadron members D.U.Stick Parkflyer about to land. see below,

Model Aircraft 20161116-23.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Had a Squadron practice session on Sunday. Unfortunately only half of the players turned up but we managed to get a photo before the carnage commenced. One confirmed 'RETAIL FLYER stated that his version is the most fun he has ever had with an RC aircraft.

See the Squadron photo below! And thanks for the design!

Model Aircraft 20161211 (1 of 12).jpg

abieex

Mentor
Very nice build but because of the weather I have not flown it yet. I did make a complete set of templates and now building another for my son. If you look at the plans you cant help but build the thing!!!

CaptBill

Bent wire undercarriage

His-Lee

Can you please explain or post a picture of a bent wire undercarriage? No wheels?

Thanks
Bill

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
His-Lee

Can you please explain or post a picture of a bent wire undercarriage? No wheels?

Thanks
Bill

It is just the simplest landing gear you can fit, and yes it does need wheels or skiis.

Just a flat bottom "U" shaped bend in the middle of the wire and the width of the "U" is the same or just less than the width of the fuselage.

About 2 inches from the bottom of the "U" bend the wire outwards and downwards to give the gear legs on each side.

Then when you have determined what height you require bend the ends of the legs to be level and in line with each other to form the axles. Trim axle length to suit.

Fit a small piece of card or ply to the landing gear location on the plane and duct tape the landing gear into place. the U" should be the rearward most part of the gear when fitted so that the gear will pull away from the plane in a crash or very rough landing.

CaptBill

It is just the simplest landing gear you can fit, and yes it does need wheels or skiis.

Just a flat bottom "U" shaped bend in the middle of the wire and the width of the "U" is the same or just less than the width of the fuselage.

About 2 inches from the bottom of the "U" bend the wire outwards and downwards to give the gear legs on each side.

Then when you have determined what height you require bend the ends of the legs to be level and in line with each other to form the axles. Trim axle length to suit.

Fit a small piece of card or ply to the landing gear location on the plane and duct tape the landing gear into place. the U" should be the rearward most part of the gear when fitted so that the gear will pull away from the plane in a crash or very rough landing.

Thanks. It sounded, to me, like wire skids.
Sorry about not catching the auto correct on your username..

CaptBill

I have wanted,to build an uglystick since I first saw one. But its winter here now and i hane only so so much storage space to store planes for the comming spring. For now,small is better.
I put this togeather yeasterday and today. Still need the completion of electronics and probiy wheels.
I fitted it with a Gforce 2212-1400, a $5.10 motor. Probibly too much motor but will,give it a go when it warms up.

CaptBill

My Fragile Bathroom Uglysticl

little uglystick.jpg

Semi finished. Waiting for better weather and to install electronics. I also have added landing gear.

jpot1

Elite member
Thinking of scaling this up to ~ 130-135% to fit the regular size FT pod. Should make the fuse still fit on one sheet of foam but will definitely split the wings and join them up. Will beef up the spar as well with the typical fold-over. Should I be good to go?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You can do as you wish but before getting too involved just check out some of the other Das Ugly Stick designs in the forums and in the Articles section.

Have fun!

RCman50

family, faith, foam, fun!
Sparkies Das ugly stick is a good one. I built it and she lasted a long time but i have to update my signature that one is retired. I had flaps on it. Sweet flier. Hotwax has one going also but I studied the plan its pretty complex build but really nice, he also has a plan to put the 3s 2200 I think? in the power pod. Its been awhile since i studied these plans but I would build Sparkies again in a heartbeat. Good Luck

jpot1

Elite member
RCman50, thanks for the Sparkie reference. That one is a little too big but should be easy enough to scale down. Thanks!

ozmo

Armin wing for STICKS

Hey FoamBenders
Sticks SHOULD have symmetrical wings. here is a FT link on how to do one ...
https://flitetest.com/articles/symmetric-armin-wing-how-to

however a Storch Wing, with FULL underpanel AND SPAR works well, IF you put two sheet (DTFB) thick shims under BOTH the LE and TE (OF THE BOTTOM) before folding the top over. another TIP: Before the final fold over squirt one stripe expandable foam insulation each into the D tube and Spar openings. make the fold and weight it down full length over night. DO NOT HOT GLUE ON THE SPAR using this method as there is not enough time. USE Gorrilla Glue on the Spar.
PUT NEWSPAPER UNDER BOTH ENDS. finish the TE as per the Storch directions. I chose NO dihedral and used paint sticks across bottom and top in the that area. This also helped in aligning the top during fold over.

I would also think doing MIRROR images of a Storch top wing with full box spar would be cool.... just thinking:confused: