(Das) Little Stick Parkflyer Plans

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Neat idea - give it a build on one and let us know how it work - or better yet, build the original design and this mod and let us know the performance difference. :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
For those who are cursed with the voices that ask them "What If" you will find that the Tiny Trainer wings fit the Parkflyer Stick perfectly as does the FunFighter motor.

Discovered this when looking for a platform to test a polyhedral wing prior to gifting it and sadly I had left my TT at home. As a 3 channel the Parkflyer stick flew like a rocket and behaved almost as well as the original TT but a whole lot faster.

I am now using the fuselages to transition students from the slow TT to the faster warbirds.

Great Fun!!!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Now that's a really neat idea as I have more TT wings hanging around than fuselages to match with them... :confused:

ozmo

testing testing....

Neat idea - give it a build on one and let us know how it work - or better yet, build the original design and this mod and let us know the performance difference. :)

Several of our club guys are knocking off the Mini ultra stick (MUS) and we played around with a couple of trial half wings. We ended up with a 40" fully symmetrical wing. Each half starts as a 20" square, 3 creases at the LE 1/4" apart, taped the LE (outside)prior to folding, 3 more creases each way at 1" apart (typical of many FT designs) except we get a rounder more blunt LE by doing 3 close creases, spar at 3" from LE or Centerline.
Spar is 4 layers of DTFB 20" x 1 3/4" placed in the middle. That leaves the outer 1/4s of the wing sparless ( may add just 1 thickness out to the tip for good measure) . We haven't completed the ailerons yet so hang in there.
Seeing that the MUS is a plane currently in production, plans are not Kosher. So I hope to draw all the dimension lines on my finished plane and just take a lot of pics :eek:

Last edited:

Try-n-glide

Anyone have an AUW for their plane built on this plan?

I am most of the way through the build, waiting on a motor and esc. By WAG my plane is going to be closer to 14 to 16 oz AUW, WAY heavier than the OP's quoted 9 oz. I say WAG because until I get the motor, esc and receiver install finished I won't know for sure.

I am using a 1300mah 3s battery and a very slightly heavier motor, but this seems like a huge difference.

I made a couple changes to the plan, nothing drastic. It did add a few sq.in. of foam board, but that doesn't weigh much. If it flys well I'll post some notes and photos of my changes.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I use a 2205c 1400kv with a 850mA 3S driving a 6x5. Paper removed from the inside rear of the fuselage and setup slightly tail heavy.

Fitted a "COKE" can engine cowl and used 3.7gram servos all round. We use them for dogfighting and no one can outmaneuver my plane so far!

AUW? Estimate around 600 grams!

Try-n-glide

Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like I'm in it for another battery or two.

I'd like to see the Coke can cowl too. Sounds great.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Here is a repost of the pics of the cowl made from a can.
SUNP0005 (2).JPG
Donor cans

SUNP0006.JPG
Cut to length and the hole cut and folded in the base

SUNP0007.JPG
Painted to suit the livery

Have fun!

jaredstrees

Just finished one up in time for some weekend flights. Maiden went great, now I may need to make her look a little nicer!

LITTLESTICKS.JPG

Try-n-glide

Just maidened mine at the end of the road. Said skip it and used the 1300mah 3s I already had. Flys just fine with a 1300 @ 14 oz with a 2206 1900kv. Needed 3 or 4 deg of up elevator and that was it. What a nice little small field flyer.

image.jpeg

My mods: extend the under side of the wing to mid aileron, extend and slip joint the vertical stab, and mount the ESC in a duct under the nose ( made it a lot easier to get that 1300 where it needed to be ). The ESC mount takes some abuse without landing gear as you can see after only a few "landings" (nosed it in at low throttle before I got the elevator trim right).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

ETA: Having a lot of fun with this little plane! Added some gear made from stuff on hand. A few landings and it is holding up fine. Coat hanger, sewing thread and CA connections, tongue depressor hubs and fuse supports. So basically free. If you draw dtfb wheels with a compass the center is marked. Put a wood hub on one side with CA. Drill from the compass marked center on the other side. The repeat the process on the other. Keeps the hub hole exactly centered, and improves strength of dtfb wheels.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Being a fan of Monty Python this is the point in the program where someone says, "Now for something completely different".

Well not completely different but just a Parkflier stick built slightly different.

The photo below is of a canard version of the (Das) Little Stick Parkflyer awaiting his maiden flight attempt.

SUNP0011.JPG

May provide details if anyone wants to try it assuming of course that it actually flys.:confused:

Have fun!

Michael9865

Elite member
Being a fan of Monty Python this is the point in the program where someone says, "Now for something completely different".

Well not completely different but just a Parkflier stick built slightly different.

The photo below is of a canard version of the (Das) Little Stick Parkflyer awaiting his maiden flight attempt.

View attachment 93053

May provide details if anyone wants to try it assuming of course that it actually flys.:confused:

Have fun!

I think that a plane as epic as this deserves its own thread. Hoping for a successful maiden. I will have to try the Canard Stick when you share the plans.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Well, the news is that it finally flys!

Need to look at relocating a few things and refining the design but it flys anyway! New thread will be started when the design is finalized!

Have fun!

Michael9865

Elite member
Well, the news is that it finally flys!

Need to look at relocating a few things and refining the design but it flys anyway! New thread will be started when the design is finalized!

Have fun!

Great, glad it flies. Looking forward to seeing your refinements.