Das Ugly-E Stick.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Yep, I'm still a foam Addict.:p
3 more flights before sun down, and she is definitely an aerobat, but she settles down nicely for landings.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Ok, the Banker is pleased! It will be flown in a park tomorrow so Grandpa can see.
This thing has SICK rough field capability. I ran over a prairie dog hole on takeoff, and hit a blowing tumbleweed on landing, not a problem.:) I also did 3 touch and gos in ankle high grass, not an issue. Inverted takes just a hint of down, I can roll 3 times without losing altitude, and loop from a glide. I do need to increase rudder throw, as I only have about 10 degrees of throw on high rates, it's enough to steer, but not much else. The skid works great from dirt and rocks, I don't know about pavement though.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Glad to hear it's flying so well. I find a huge sense of accomplish when a plane I build takes flight. Assembling a foam kit and flying it is fun, but here you know you've really BUILT something! Congrats!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
:eek::black_eyed::mad: I just weighed the mess of weight I had to put in the nose. 10 oz exactly. Not what I had been hoping for.

A long nose version is on the drawing board right now.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Flew again today with more rudder throw, performed Loops, rolls, Immelmanns, Cuban 8s, inverted, stall turns, point rolls, and a split s that missed a tree by a few feet. Landings are perfect, because the gear is right at the optimal angle of attack for touchdown, so it makes me look like a pro. Takeoffs, well, not so much, but I will leave fixing that for later. Mean time, I need to convince my father to let me upload one of the videos.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
image.jpg
image.jpg
Flight pics!

Watt readings:

DT 750 3s 1300 15c 11x7 prop.
11.3 v 13 A

Barely hoverable for the first minute of the pack.

DT 750 4s 2p 2000mah 20c 11x7 prop.
15.1 v 19 A

Unlimited vertical with 4 cells, motor slightly warm.
Easily hoverable for the entire flight.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
45" span, 39" length.
I had a major problem shortly after these pics were taken, which destroyed my elevator and knocked off my H stab. :rolleyes: Can't win 'em all I guess.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I currently only have an East west runway, as the prairie dogs have cratered my other runways. The wind picked up to a near 20 mph southerly wind, and had to land crosswind. I clipped a prairie dog mound:p then skidded sideways, and destroyed my skid and elevator, and knocked off the h stab.:(

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Well, the stick needs some major repairs.
I was shooting Touch and goes at my flying club yesterday, and was practicing high-speed ground stability. AKA I was relearning how to taxi a tail dragger. Unfortunately, a newbie got his pattern mixed up and had not been calling his landings. We met about 2/3rds of the way down the runway. I sliced through his wing with my gear, and lost most of my belly sheeting when my gear ripped off. I got airborne, but the battery was hanging out, and my CG was way to far back. The flight ended about 30 sec later in a yucca plant. I will post the damage later.

earthsciteach

Wow, you really put that thing together fast! I missed the rest of the build and you're already to your second repair! LOL.

Overall, Foam, what is your impression of building and flying with balsa?

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
It flies more precisely and carries its speed better than foam, it is also more durable. It is also easier to build than foam if you have CA and accelerator. The aircraft in general fly like they are on rails, with 0 flex. Unfortunately, for someone like me, they are difficult to fix due to my small workspace. I did find that you have to over build certain surfaces, (cough cough, elevator, cough cough) or else snap rolls take on new meaning.;)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It flies more precisely and carries its speed better than foam, it is also more durable. It is also easier to build than foam if you have CA and accelerator. The aircraft in general fly like they are on rails, with 0 flex. Unfortunately, for someone like me, they are difficult to fix due to my small workspace. I did find that you have to over build certain surfaces, (cough cough, elevator, cough cough) or else snap rolls take on new meaning.;)
Maybe that's what the Chinese meant by "snop" rolls? SNOP=Soon Needing Other Parts....

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
"Oh snap" rolls?
Yeah, that resulted in a 30 degree impact because I was missing about 5/8ths of my elevator.
I have to cut a few hatches because my rudder servo extension came unplugged as well.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Dang, that stinks! But I use a different "S" word when that happens!
The Snop roll thing was way back in a review episode. The Josh's were reading the directions and there was a typo/bad translation that used "snop instead of "snap"...