Das Ugly-E Stick.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I didn't say anything, that crash didn't damage anything.:cool: Tomorrow I will start the rebuild, as well as the Mk II.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Let us know how it goes, FA. And do try to keep the SNOP rolls to a minimum! ...the "oh, snap" rolls as well, unless you can get it on video of course! lol

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Ok, list of MK II mods:
Lighter tail.
Nose dragger.:cool: (trike)
Non standard high tail.
Flat bottom airfoil with dihedral.
Servos go back in their fuselage slots, not back in the tail.

Some parts are already cut, the wing will need to be cut still too. This should be fun!

jordster1998

Ok so thanks with all your help with deciding what plane to start building and i have decided on this one because it looks simple yet beautiful i have the plans printed out and all i want to know is what size of servos are you running and is there any tips you could give me on building this plane
ps: thank you soo much for your help :D

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I used hxt 9 gram servos on the elevator and rudder, and 20 gram servos out of an old zagi wing for the ailerons.

The rudder servo was straining, and the elevator takes a lot of abuse, so I would recommend these servos all around:www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23594__Turnigy_MG90S_Metal_Gear_Servo_1_8kg_13_4g_0_10sec_USA_Warehouse_.html

Also, that big ply wood piece under the nose of the aircraft. Build it as is, I ripped the gear out and now can't get any strength using a smaller piece.

Build the wing as is, but with bass wood spars instead of spruce

Strengthen the H stab joint as much as possible. If you have fiber glass, glass the fuselage to H stab joint, as well as the elevator and tail skid. These fail a lot if they aren't strong enough.

I cannot reccomend a DT-750 on 4 cells and an 11x7 prop highly enough ( if you are below 4000 ft, use a 10x7 or 11x5), if you need some practice first, use a 2200 3 cell with the 11x7 regardless of altitude.

If you have any trouble, just ask, I'm usually lurking on this forum a little to much.:rolleyes:

jordster1998

thanks just one more thing and sorry if its too much bother (dont bother if it is) but around how much of each thickness of balsa do i need lengthwise because i cant wait to get building my first balsa plane and ill post pics here of my progress
thanks Jordan

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Um, I used 4" x 36" stock for everything. 3" stock won't work for much, it just makes life miserable when you try to cut out the fuselage.
Questions are great! It's answers that trouble me...:p

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Ugh, to long on this repair job. My Calculus and Physics are killing me(what I do for an A!), as are College scholarship essays. The Stik needs a new belly, as well as new covering, and a new H-stab. It is really to much for me to fix right now. That being said, I have another Stik cut out ready to assemble, as well as a 2 meter wing for it.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
IT'S ALIVE!

image.jpg

As promised it has been rebuilt, and is good as ever!
The wing was in pretty good shape considering that my dad stepped on it. In fact, only one rib was snapped!
The fuse took more work. I had to sand down most of the belly and resheet it, heavily epoxy and brace the landing gear mount, and solder servo extensions while I was at it. All in all though, it turned out great!

image.jpg

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Ok, the maiden went great for about 5 min, when suddenly my motor stopped. I went full down flaperons, and glided it in for a pretty good landing. As I started walking towards it though, I noticed that the motor was smoking and flames were licking the body, I ran over and unplugged the battery, to find my new exceed 2220 motor utterly black and demagged. I ran back to the house and doused it in water, which brought the magnets back, then disassembled the motor.

I have never burned up a new motor before. I've broken shafts, ripped out wires, and even smashed the bells, but I've never seen this:

image.jpg

I'm doing an autopsy/ rewind, and I'll tell you guys what happened.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Well I didn't find anything obviously wrong with the motor, so I rewound it 8 turns Y 22g for a similar KV, swapped out the ESC, and took it up again. It still flew great. I didn't find any issues, the power was identical, and the motor was cooler on landing than it was on other planes with the same setup.
I'm stumped, I'll test the other ESC and try to figure out what happened.:confused: