Das Ugly Stick - FT Style

jpot1

Elite member
Really loving the way the Simple Scout flies and looks...something about the scalloped edges. Got me thinking about taking the same basic wing, widening it to ~42" like many of the other full size FT birds and making an ugly stick. I researched on the forum and found plans for larger and smaller versions but nothing right in the sweet spot for me that will take a C pack motor and actually fit in the trunk of the car!

Let me know if you are interested and I'll post my progress and plans eventually after I have proof it will fly. Starting with the original Phil Kraft plans from Outerzone that I have downloaded and re-sized.

Final beauty shot - pre-paint:
23F5F5F5-E4FF-4A92-9E30-B4581E247525.jpeg

Plans:
View attachment Ugly Stick v1 final.pdf

Specs:
Wingspan: 44”
Length: 30.5”
CG: 2.25” back from wing LE
C pack compatible with 2200 3s

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
Good progress this weekend. Ended up cutting the fuse twice to get it where I wanted. Rest of the fuse parts assembled with servos in place. Not thrilled with the one visible on the top cover though. Wings will be the same as the simple scout, just without the box spar and wider. Going for a 42” wingspan.

Updating the plans as I go.

3BEEDABC-AD48-4EF0-BB17-65FB65C945F3.jpeg

280755BE-999A-448F-A260-2557411DF897.jpeg

jpot1

Elite member
Grifflyer - yes will have gear. I've got a set from a prior bad "landing".

Wings printed today...

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
This is a great project. I love the original Das Ugly Stik! It was a big part of the inspiration for the Bloody Baron. I started a foam board version of the original about 3 years ago, just never got back to it. I've built several of Werner's (hotwax) FB Flitesticks and they fly amazing. I destroyed the last one in the last combat of FFE '17! A C-Pack swappable version will likely be a big hit. I still plan to go back and finish the design for the original 60 inch wing span version.

Can't wait to see this one flying!

jpot1

Elite member
Thanks SPONZ, I saw some of your posts on your build. For me that wingspan is too large for transport. This should fly really well as I'm taking your baron wing and making it wider. Plans will certainly give credit!

jpot1

Elite member
Beta build done. 42” wingspan with about a 28” length. It fits a full size power pod. Mine is just shortened after the first set of tabs.

Beauty shot:

23F5F5F5-E4FF-4A92-9E30-B4581E247525.jpeg

V2 will have updates:
- battery currently sits below the power pod up front and “hangs out”. I’m hoping to enlarge the nose a bit and adjust the overall dimensions to see if I can hide the battery better
- currently will only balance with a 1300 3s, a 2200 is too heavy for an external mount as the landing gear get in the way
- ailerons are a bit too wide but will decide changes after maiden
- need to lower the bbq skewers for wing hold downs by lowering them
- tail is a bit weak as the fuse narrows to only 1/3”. Need to enlarge that a bit for stability

Maiden on Friday hopefully.

jpot1

Elite member
Maiden success. Was able to get out quickly this morning. Only a quick flight as it was freezing. Flew great!

g

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Great job! Looks like it flies fantastic. But, I knew that it would. ;) They always do. Nice job with the swappable size version.

jpot1

Elite member
Post #1 updated with finalized plans. In this final version I sized it up slightly to give a little more room for the power pod and a little more support for the hstab. If anyone builds it please post pics/video!

Very nice i might build one of these soone :)

one thing i dont like not particualrly abot this design, its a commen across a few ft designs is the wing. the endof the wings thats just 1 piece of foam rather than like the rest of the wing being folded over, this is a weak area and gets damaged easilyu in bad landings. Id nmuch prefer wings to be constructed like the FT 3D

jpot1

Elite member
Bazsound - I understand what you are saying. The open wing tip which is common on a lot of the FT models is supposed to help prevent stalls that cause a wing tip to drop which is supposed to help prevent crashes. Yet on the other hand you are correct in that it is one layer thick unsupported. On my version it’s even weaker as I remove the paper from the double bevel out 3.5” in order to get a good curve on the leading edge foldover rather than the typical score lines. A suggestion would be to use bbq skewers - nerdnic does this on some of his designs. That way if you catch a wingtip the skewer helps strengthen the edge a bit.

Also this being a top wing design vs. a lot of the low wing designs should hopefully keep the wingtips away from the ground.