Dat Eagle

Namactual

Elite member
Woohooo! My Hasegawa kit has arrived...
F15Hase.jpg
It looks like I will be tweaking the Prototype skin before I build it. I should be building this weekend either way.

I am also going to post this little sneak peek here as well...:cool:
LineUp.jpg
I also have a few more in transit yet.
This ought to keep me busy for a while.
Hint: I am not a model builder, this is strictly dat reference material.;)

Last edited:

Namactual

Elite member
Ok, I am done.
For real this time.
I promise.:p
1.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg
Seriously though, I am going to start printing as soon as I get home today. I spent most of the day yesterday detailing everything I missed now that I have a good reference model. I also made the text a little smaller to match the scale appearance a little better. There were not only a lot of little details I missed, but some were just wrong. The biggest were those little "honey comb" decals I had before. At least thats what I thought they were. They are in fact honey comb shaped, but they actually said "no step" and "no push" inside little yellow circles. I also missed a lot of "warning/caution/danger" labels.

Anyway, I am happy now. Not only does it look better, but it is also more scale.
...build pics to follow.

Namactual

Elite member
Update:
F-15X-p21.jpg
All prints and skins have been printed, taped together and trimmed. I also attached the biggest skin section to foam and cut it out. (top wing plate) This was printed entirely on 8.5x11" (letter) label paper so there are a lot of seams, but they are hard to see from a foot a way or so. I have 8.5x14" (legal) paper en-route and I can easily cut the seams in half with legal size paper. I did not want to wait to get started though. This is a prototype anyway.

The prints look good.(y) They are a little dark compared to the digital originals, but that is minor.

It's bed time for now, but more to come tomorrow.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Update:
View attachment 129235
All prints and skins have been printed, taped together and trimmed. I also attached the biggest skin section to foam and cut it out. (top wing plate) This was printed entirely on 8.5x11" (letter) label paper so there are a lot of seams, but they are hard to see from a foot a way or so. I have 8.5x14" (legal) paper en-route and I can easily cut the seams in half with legal size paper. I did not want to wait to get started though. This is a prototype anyway.

The prints look good.(y) They are a little dark compared to the digital originals, but that is minor.

It's bed time for now, but more to come tomorrow.

That looks great, well done.

Namactual

Elite member
Thanks bud!

I was hoping I could get more done tonight, but I forgot I had parent teacher conferences. By the time I get home it will be bed time.:cautious:
I do have a four day weekend coming up though, so that's a bonus.(y)

Namactual

Elite member
I got a little bit done tonight...
F-15X-p23.jpg F-15X-p22.jpg
Lighting is crap, it looks better in person.
I have both wing plates cut, skinned on both sides and are now bonding. The control surfaces are cut and skinned on both sides as well. I came up with a new way to attach the back sides of skins too.

I used to just line them up with the wax paper backing still in place and tape a small section down. Almost like a hinge. The idea was you would hinge the skin away, pull the wax paper off, then hinge the skin back into place and hope it did not move around too much. This time I found it was easier just to cut a small section of the wax paper off of the skin, then set the skin in place with the exposed adhesive away from the part. Once I was happy with the alignment I would press the exposed section into place, then peel the rest of the backing off. I found not only does the alignment not move as much, but now I do not have to worry about the tape ripping the skin when I pull it off.

Namactual

Elite member
Thanks gents!
You are killing my build list backlog... you know that, right?! 😉
I do what I can.;) Seriously though, things will slow down after the Eagle. My current back log is pretty big as well, and I plan to plow through a lot before I get any other official releases done.

Speaking of which, she is done...
F15XProtoFin01.jpg
F15XProtoFin03.jpg F15XProtoFin02.jpg
I still have to install the electronics, but that is a quick one. I do plan on getting some flying in tomorrow, but I doubt this will be it. I have to get some other things done today and with Easter tomorrow I doubt I will have enough time to finish this and fly it.

For this particular build, I made three major mistakes…
1: As I was building I noticed the toner was smudging and flaking really easy. That means it was not getting hot enough to bond the toner to paper properly. As I was poking around in the settings, I see a small check box that said “Archive Print Quality” So of course this is unchecked by default. I am like, “why would I not want this checked?” The only down side is it takes longer to spit the page out. I could kick a puppy after that, but what are you going to do? It’s a prototype anyway. I have been using markers to fix during the build.

2: This was the big one. I was in a hurry yesterday, (long story) and I could not get the left intake to line up properly. And rather than investigate, I just took a razor to it, cut the snot out of it and glued it into place. When I went to put on the second intake, I noticed the issue and everything lined up perfect. I fixed what I could on the first side, but the part I took the razor to has a gap/hole in it and it caused the third issue.

3: Because the intake was tweaked, I had to off center the nose slightly to fit. So if you look at the hatch - canopy area they are misaligned on one side. Minor issue, but noticeable.

Other than those issues, I like it. I think the design is good to go. Again, I not sure when I can get it up in the air, but when I do I will post video.

Namactual

Elite member
Quick stupid question:
Does anyone plan on building the Veterans Airshow version of this for FFE'19?
And if so, what format do you need?
tiled letter, tiled legal, untiled?

I will release them all eventually, but I am trying to prioritize my workload. FFE'19 has top priority at the moment.

Daniel Liutan

Quick stupid question:
Does anyone plan on building the Veterans Airshow version of this for FFE'19?
And if so, what format do you need?
tiled letter, tiled legal, untiled?

I will release them all eventually, but I am trying to prioritize my workload. FFE'19 has top priority at the moment.

Untiled PDF file, please!
Follow this article for a long time. Thank you so much for the master piece.

Wildthing

Legendary member
You know if you hadn't pointed out the mistake no one would have known, so minor. Love the build.
Untiled for me please. :)

Last edited:

Namactual

Elite member
You know I’m good for one (and maybe a few kits for the auction.)

My question is, are you going to be able to join us this year?
That is the plan, but I will not know until the week of. I hope so.
If I do make it to FF this year, I have to make 3 more of these.o_O

I will work on the untiled prints first. That should be the easiest to do as well.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I would love join you building one there.
I have to figure out my transportation to FFE, and who's joining me but that would be stupendous.