Dat Rhino

Namactual

Elite member
Maiden flight...
3.jpg
Almost:sneaky:
Just playing with the new Falcon render in Cheetah. It's quite good, that was just a few clicks. I could probably make it indistinguishable from a photo.

Namactual

Elite member
WooHoo, She is done son!
R5.jpg
R6.jpg

And like I promised...
R4.jpg
My new wallpaper.:cool:

Tomorrow I will get the prints ready. Who knows, I may even get started on the build.

Finally done! (y)

...with one anyway...:cautious:

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Awesome I can't wait, that skin looks absolutely amazing!

I also have that picture as my wallpaper ;)

Namactual

Elite member
Thanks gents!

Wow, this is the very definition of quick and dirty...
Build.jpg
So I had a hatch and nose cone from my last build, but I just printed, cut and built the rest of that in 5 hours flat.

And boy does it show! It looks like :poop:!

But that's ok. It's just a test frame for elevons only. Once I see how she flies, I am going to fabricate a quick BBQ skewer latch. If it does not like the elevons only, I am going to modify the frame in a way that will allow me to attach 2 control rods to each servo and drive both the elevator and aileron on each side. Hopefully it will not come to that though.

She flies or dies this weekend. I will see if I can hire a camera man, but no guarantees.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I don’t need “proof” of flight lol it’s not an official challenge and I really don’t think you’d lie about it. It would be nice to see it fly though. I just got a red bottom motor for $9.99 today from FT for this plane. I can’t wait!

Namactual

Elite member
Aye.

I mean, I know it flies but it is just nice to see the footage. I have already changed a few things in my head. Nothing noteworthy and nothing that you can see from the outside, but little changes to simplify things here and there. Like one popsicle stick in the hatch rather than two which is not needed and just results in more cuts.

This new one with elevons only is going to float with a small battery. It weighs next to nothing and it has a ton of lift. Speaking of which, what batteries do you have access to?

I have been using 1550mah 3cell for all of my builds, but you really could go smaller. Especially with a 3 bladed prop. You get a lot more thrust from a hex blade and it sounds a lot nicer as well. I was using this set up in the Vid above and you could accelerate out of high alpha going vertical. If you plan on building a few of these, hex blades would be a good investment. (I will post a link to the ones I bought off of Amazon when I get home.) A 5040 3 blade on a 4cell is a rocket. It’s also obnoxiously loud. The hex blade with 3cell hits that sweet spot. For me anyway. I might try my smaller 1000/1300mah batteries with various 3 blades to see what kind of performance and flight times I get.

The first skinned prototype (red one) I flew at FFE’17 with a 3 blade 3cell and that thing was a tank. It had 3 wing plate layers rather than 2 and I used a REALLY heavy photo quality paper for the skin. The paper alone was probably another battery worth of weight. It weighed a ton. It still flew though, so the new version should fly great even using a 3 blade 3cell combo. Using regular printer paper will help things as well.

That said, feel free to experiment and let me know how it goes. I have only built about five of these things and the first three went through A LOT of design changes in-between. Also, let me know if something does not fit right, or any other general issues you might have during the build. I think you are going to be the first one outside of myself to build one and there might be a few steps I just do without thinking and forgot to document. We might just have to change your name to "beta test" for a bit. :sneaky:

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I can try it on a 35mah 1s if you'd like lol but really I have 2, 1000 3s and 2 1300 or 1500 3s. I also have one 2200 and two 5200's but I those are for combat use only ;)

And I can definitely beta test for a while, I might start the build for a non skinned one tonight and try and fly it tomorrow. I'll post a quick video on it too since I haven't posted in a while. I'll try a elevon only one because it's easy and I don't have too many servos ATM.

I'll probably be on later and tomorrow asking questions about the build as long as I didn't forget about something I need to do this weekend.

Namactual

Elite member
Cool beans, I was hoping you had something smaller than the common 2200mah which is a bit much for this build.

A few things right off of the bat;

1: You only need to make the "F" hatch. I did not make that very clear in the build guide. The E or F hatches are an option and completely interchangeable. The skins are going to use the F hatch though. I think the Rhino just looks better as a 2 seater. The legacy Hornet looks better as a single seater though.

2: Hand launches are a breeze if you hold it by the LERX, (leading edge root extension).

3: Your elevators are going to need to be in a slight pitch up attitude. If they are completely parallel to the wing you are going to need to add a bit of uptrim to achieve level flight. I good place to start is at the forward tip of the elvator, it will be about one layer of foam below the wing plate. (I will take a picture and upload for a visual)

Hex blades as promised
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCEO5DI/?tag=lstir-20

And of course if you have any questions, just post here I will answer ASAP.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Cool beans, I was hoping you had something smaller than the common 2200mah which is a bit much for this build.

A few things right off of the bat;

1: You only need to make the "F" hatch. I did not make that very clear in the build guide. The E or F hatches are an option and completely interchangeable. The skins are going to use the F hatch though. I think the Rhino just looks better as a 2 seater. The legacy Hornet looks better as a single seater though.

2: Hand launches are a breeze if you hold it by the LERX, (leading edge root extension).

3: Your elevators are going to need to be in a slight pitch up attitude. If they are completely parallel to the wing you are going to need to add a bit of uptrim to achieve level flight. I good place to start is at the forward tip of the elvator, it will be about one layer of foam below the wing plate. (I will take a picture and upload for a visual)

Hex blades as promised
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCEO5DI/?tag=lstir-20

And of course if you have any questions, just post here I will answer ASAP.
Thanks I can’t wait to start building! Unfortunately Saturday got booked really fast. I will probably start sometime on Sunday if I am not completely exhausted from today lol. Thanks for the advice and instructions.

Have I mentioned that it’s 1:30 am and I still can’t sleep because I keep thinking of airplane designs?

Namactual

Elite member
No problem bud.

I know what you mean about not having the time. I spend 90% of my life at work or sleeping. You don't have to beta test either, I was just joking around. I will upload some revised plans along with the USMC skins after I build one which will not take long. I just wanted to get one built just to make sure I did not miss anything. I would hate to have someone spend money on prints and foam on something that does not fit right or would have to be modified.

The changes I have made since the original uploaded prints are pretty minor so I can't see anything causing any issues, but you never know.

My new elevon test machine is sitting here taunting me. She wants to fly, but it is still raining here. Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day with not much wind though. I will be flying tomorrow for sure.

I took some time this morning to document everything as it is at the moment, getting everything ready for an official release. I made a little stat card like others have been doing.
Card-Rhino.jpg
Elevon maiden update to follow.

Namactual

Elite member
Just a little quick demo of how I paint skins in Photoshop...
Why?
I don't know. I just had to switch gears for a bit so I did not get burned out. Just playing with more video editing more than anything.

I have too many hobbies.:cautious:

Namactual

Elite member
Reference photos for rough battery placement and start point for the elevator angle. The elevator was done from memory and this build is a little different so it might change a bit once I get it in the air, but I just wanted to make sure I documented it before hand on the off chance the air frame is unrecognizable after the maiden.:sneaky:
Ref01.jpg
Speaking of which, I am charging batteries as I type. It did indeed turn out to be a nice day, but it rained all night last night and the ground is still wet. I am going to try the ball field first so I can land on pavement if I have to, but this time of year the sports teams are practicing a lot so a trip to the airfield might be in order.

If I have to fly at the airfield, (all grass and pretty long this time of year), I don't think this plane will live too long. Hopefully long enough to get the testing done though.

Wish me luck.

Namactual

Elite member
Success!
Where is my dance emote?:confused:

Uploading raw video now.(y)
Three hours!? (n)
Need better internet.:cry:

8 minute flight times on a 1550mah to storage voltage. o_O

Namactual

Elite member
This thing is an absolute riot. I love it. The elevons only works great. I used full mechanical throws and no expo. I tried it on low rates for all of about 5 seconds on the first hand launch. They went to high rates after that and never left.
The maiden I decided I did not want to worry about filming because this was the first time I have flown in 6-7 months. I was a little shaky at first, but after the first few passes I was back up to speed. It needed about 5-6 clicks of up trim and it was good to go.

The second battery I did film, but I had the camera tilted a bit too high and the aircraft kept dropping out of frame. I did get a few good shots out of it though, so it was not a total loss. The vid above was the third battery. I had a fourth ready to go, but I noticed I had a loose elevon hinge just before I launched it. It was not flight damage, I must have just been a little to light on the glue. I decided to not push my luck and call it a day.

I am sure the skinned version will not fly quite as slow, but the extra weight should keep it a bit more steady in high alpha. I am going to have Staples make my first set of prints early this week. Maybe even as early as Monday. I am eager to get the skinned version built. I have a feeling she is going to look great and fly great. With 8 min flight times I might just use a smaller battery to counter the extra skin weight. Then again, it my not need it. We shall see.

Fun!
That is the only way to put it.(y)

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I am glad it flies I will watch the vids once I get home, school blocks YouTube, I wasn't able to build anything or fly this weekend at all. I hate foreign cars specifically my Mazda, it took up the whole weekend and it's still not done "right".

Namactual

Elite member
Well, work always has a way of putting me behind schedule on whats really important. If only we did not have bills to pay...

Anyway, slow progress is progress none the less.
!!!F-18XUSMC36x24-01.jpg !!!F-18XUSMC36x24-02.jpg
These are both full sized foam sheets.^^

!!!F-18XUSMC36x24-03.jpg !!!F-18XUSMC18x24-01.jpg
The first half of the first image is foam, the second part as well as the second image will just be paper that will be glued to the back side of the foam parts.

So in all, that's 3 24x36 and 1 18x24 prints. Total cost at Staples will be around $21+tax. Sorry guys. I was trying to keep the cost down, but the size and shape of these parts only let me do so much.:cautious:

These are just example images, the actual downloadable skins will be monsters. 300dpi if I can get them small enough to host them on my site. If not I will go 150dpi and will have instructions on how to upscale them with GIMP, which is free. I will also upload a set of 8.5x11 prints is someone wanted to print from home.

I am really hoping to jet out of work early tomorrow and have these printed out so I can build this weekend. No guarantees though.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I can’t wait to be able to try them for myself! Thanks again for helping me so much with the veterans air show.

Namactual

Elite member
Well, you know what they say about the best made plans…

I finally get out of work early and head over to Staples just to be told that they were going to charge me for Poster prints rather than color engineering prints. Oh, she was going to print them in the lower engineering quality, but still charge me for photo quality.

Too much color? Why even offer the option? Is there a color to b/w ratio that you have to stay under?

There is a big difference between a color print and a photo print. I used to work for a publishing company, this is what I did. As much as I would have liked to argue I just left. It would have gotten me nowhere. Just a rise in blood pressure.

Anyway, now that I blew off some steam, I am off to cut these up for home print. It will be cheaper this way anyway. A lot more work, but cheaper.

I have to kick it into high gear if I want to start building today. BBL.