Data collection for FPV distance

treadd

Uber N00b
I'll be flying out in the California desert this Sunday, and can contribute info for a scratch-built, 60" wingspan ExAir inspired foam twin boom plane. I'm running 5.8 500mw for video with CL/SP antennas, and stock 2.4 rx/tx antennas.

Here's a vid of where I normally fly- In the middle of the San Fernando Valley at the Apollo XI RC field. (North of Los Angeles) I haven't been able to push the envelope as far as distance at this field for obvious reasons, hence heading out to a much less populated area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Kbgx8FEJQ

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
No worries teach (I can seek retribution with glydr elsewhere... Maybe he can source me a glass of Zierholz).

Thanks Treadd, your data would be great!

Nonamerc

Arman
Would really be interested in how far you go with it and the quality you get. Are you going to capture the OSD footage? It would be good to see.

lobstermash I'll be doing a series of test soon with different antennas etc. Will post my results.

No i cant my receiver has 1 av output :(

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I hope some people got out for some FPV this weekend... I took the FPV gear off the Bix and went sloping in the crazy wind. I was enjoying it until it kicked up a notch to about 50-60km/h! I had almost gone with the FPV gear, but relented. Wise choice.

Nonamerc

Arman
Yesterday i flew in france with my bixler and fpv gear. I lost the way back home after an 2.7km flight. But i did my motor on 60 percent and my spotter heard me no damage to the bixler. Could have gone further but i need another 2200 mah 3 cell for my bixler...

treadd

Uber N00b
Ack! What a bad rc citizen I am! I ended up not making it out to fly that weekend. Been working on a new project, the HK FPV-168, which I maidened this morning...and didnt crash! lol yay! I was super nervous, as this is my first ARF I've bought and built. 5.5lbs AUW, and lots of fiberglass and balsa...there would be no foam to glue or bend back if I crashed this one!

But here is an interesting thing I noticed. On the foam twin boom, the GPS module and vtx were about 12 inches away from each other, and GPS signal took a few minutes to get a good lock. Video would start to get static at about 1 mile with stock antennas. (5.8 400mw). Now I have the GPS and video transmitter about 30 inches apart, and the GPS picks up a lock in less than a minute. Point being, I may have been reducing video/control/gps strength by having everything too close together. But I will find out soon what the net gain is. (And to try out the CP antennas)

Wont be able to fly FPV for another week, as the guy at work I borrow the GoPro from is on vacation and took the camera with him. Until then, its LOS practice flying on the new airframe, and working out various transmitter tasks to dial everything in just right.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Don't feel like a bad rc citizen... Nobody has put any data in the spreadsheet yet... The last couple of weeks have been awfully windy down the east coast of Australia, especially on weekends.

My OSD should arrive this week and I can get some data myself. I'm thinking we'll gain some momentum once the first few entries trickle in. It's also hard to get in the habit of collecting data (I've helped run a recreational fishing survey, which included community data collection similar to this). But once people start doing it, they realise how useful it is for their own benefit as well as the project's.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I will be posting distance data of my 2.3ghz system with bluebeam antennas when I get them. No one else has this, so it should be interesting to see how well it works. I will be using a clover leaf and a helical antenna.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Very cool. Yeah, 2.4 is usually reserved for the hardcore, serious FPV pilots! I'd love to have some good data on that!

Nonamerc

Arman
Very cool. Yeah, 2.4 is usually reserved for the hardcore, serious FPV pilots! I'd love to have some good data on that!

I can ask some more guys like rockyflyr about his records.

@Carbon On your website you say 433ghz which should be changed to 433mhz also you say that you are going to use a 300mah 3 cell. (Maybe a 3000mah 3 cell?)

Nonamerc

Arman
Don't feel like a bad rc citizen... Nobody has put any data in the spreadsheet yet... The last couple of weeks have been awfully windy down the east coast of Australia, especially on weekends.

My OSD should arrive this week and I can get some data myself. I'm thinking we'll gain some momentum once the first few entries trickle in. It's also hard to get in the habit of collecting data (I've helped run a recreational fishing survey, which included community data collection similar to this). But once people start doing it, they realise how useful it is for their own benefit as well as the project's.

I have no osd and this is what I use for measuring the distance that I flew:
http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm

Rockyflyer:

16km with the lawmate 500mw 2.4 GHz vtx. He also used the lawmate receiver. He used dragonlink for his RC controlls. No lc filter, this flight was with a zephyr 2

Last edited:

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I can ask some more guys like rockyflyr about his records.

@Carbon On your website you say 433ghz which should be changed to 433mhz also you say that you are going to use a 300mah 3 cell. (Maybe a 3000mah 3 cell?)
Thanks! I missed that

Nonamerc

Arman
Maybe its an idea to add rc systems to the spreadsheet. (which frequency and brand) also usefull to tell the types of antennas used for your rc. I think that allot of people dont remember/know the weather in which they flew. I personnaly only remember the distance and the place.