Data collection for FPV distance

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'd thought of that. I was going to monitor what was going in, but as there's a drip, rather than a stream of data, I haven't been checking very often. There's lots of statistical tricks for identifying and removing outliers (unusual, usually made up or incorrect data). But if we start getting more data flowing in I'll back it up in case someone starts deleting/modifying what's in there...

Nonamerc

Arman
Good idea
I am building a plane for long range fpv so my data will be ready in about 2 months. In the maintime I will tell my fellow dutch fpv-ers about this. (Some of them have flown 25km)

Nonamerc

Arman
They say the following:

One setup can work for someone but will not work for someone else.
That there are to many variables(??) for this spreadsheet to work.

To be honest I think that they are kind of right

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The point of the variables is to determine the relative strength of each factor and find out what might limit certain setups in certain conditions.

treadd

Uber N00b
Finally got my first entry in. Made sure to convert all data to kph, meters, and C for temp. My receiver CP antenna is mounted to a LCD screen on top my transmitter. I noticed a big fluctuation in picture quality if I tilted and moved the antenna. I really need to get a proper ground station mount for my antennas. However, my stock antenna DX7s radio was starting to fail at that range, so more video range may not have been beneficial.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I've got some issues to work through with my setup. I'm only getting 600m before the tx starts to beep at me. I suspect I need to get the vtx further away and/or install a low pass filter.

devilsfork

Great idea! I will collect as much data as i possibly can for you. I have always wanted to know myself what the average distances are for different systems (antennas, tx, rx, db gain, area) e.t.c.

Cheers!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Cool. This project has fallen by the wayside a bit. Collecting this sort of data is a bit tricky in the field without an aid like a diary or something like that. I haven't entered any data myself because I've had some range issues I've been sorting through with my setup, but I think they're sorted now and I'll be sticking them in here.

I've also been thinking that nobody wants to convert their units, so I should do up an imperial sheet and a metric sheet so I can automatically do the conversions all at once.