David's Mini Tricopter... Excitement

AdmiralDV

Listened to the latest FT After hours - Podcast, and heard David talk about his Mini Tri in the works, I'm exited to see what is planned, and i'm saving to order one asap.

Anybody else also exited, just wondering what electronics he used... Will wait and see, unfortunately have to. :D

D

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
I've been thinking of cutting down the booms on my RCX Tricopter. I think it would be really nice to have it about 350 size with 10" props. That would make it a little more aerobatic while still maintaining the ability to carry a gopro, FPV equipment and a 3S 2200mAh battery.

CharelZa

I think at 350 with that big props you will have a monster, mine is 315 with 6" currently and its got plenty power, and the motors and esc's still seem very happy, so could possibly go up another size or two on the props, will test different props at some stage.

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
I think at 350 with that big props you will have a monster, mine is 315 with 6" currently and its got plenty power, and the motors and esc's still seem very happy, so could possibly go up another size or two on the props, will test different props at some stage.

Maybe 10" is too big. My motors and esc's can handle it, but maybe it would fly better with higher prop disk loading.

Ocean

Some good Mini Tri on the market right now:

Twitchity's Mini Tricopter, contact Twitchity on the forum for details, there are many build logs around on the forum

ULTri – Mini Tricopter, made by red20rc and designed by Ulf Lindeström

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Maybe 10" is too big. My motors and esc's can handle it, but maybe it would fly better with higher prop disk loading.

I'm firmly of the conclusion that bigger props are not better for minis. But if you were going to go with bigger props, a tri would be the way to go. One advantage of smaller props is faster spinup/spin down, so you can have more yaw authority with less destabilization. Active braking is becoming popular, which does help with this issue some. With tricopters, you don't need to spin props down in order to yaw, so it's moot.

The other advantage of smaller props is that they spin higher rpms, and as a result, your vibrations are higher frequency, and are more attenuated by the built-in low-pass filter on the gyro and acc. A mini quad has less mass to damp vibrations, so it seems like it would be more important to balance props and motors on a mini with big props compared to a big copter with big props, or a mini with small props.