Willlparker3ls

So here's my first concept-to-flight continuous post:

It all started when my friend Dylan heard that I scratch build airplanes. He immediately suggested that I build a DaVinci-Style aircraft. He had the whirlycopter thing in mind I think, but I was inspired by the DaVinci Glider (plus I don't know how I could have gotten the Whirlycopter thing to fly). *figure 1*

I went through a few scale drawings before I satisfied myself with this *figure 2* rough sketch. I left myself PLENTY of room to interpret the plans, as I am a "design as you build" kind of guy. I also settled on the name "The DylVinci Flyer".

So far I've built a basic frame, mounted a motor, and built a tail (I changed from a standard rudder/elevator to a Vtail). the wings however are causing me some grief. *other pictures*

Most of the structural-ness comes from the tension lines all over the aircraft, which will hopefully look and sound nice in the air :)

Feel free to ask questions, I know this is a pretty vague post so far, but I'll go into more detail as the build goes on.
5882483B-7567-4AEB-B754-9A210BF20053.jpeg
A95484DB-4DE2-47F0-B98B-37EDF1556488.jpeg
6598E534-A274-44E3-9712-C33A4E0DBF2D.jpeg
8856628C-DE02-4CB0-BA32-A228BBC794F8.jpeg

BS projects inc.

Elite member
How much experience do you have with scratch builds? It seems like you have a plan and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of very talented people on this forum that can help.

Willlparker3ls

How much experience do you have with scratch builds? It seems like you have a plan and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of very talented people on this forum that can help.

A fair amount, I've clocked a few dozen hours on foamboard with a razor. I don't have any "plans" though (a general plan, yes, but I'm making it up as I go mostly). And thank you, I appreciate it :)

Looks like a great project that is going to have some size. How big will it be?

I've had to radically change my wing plans, and so at the moment it's about a meter and a half wide. I've made 3 different prototype wings, (first had too big of a wing chord, second too small, third much better) but I'm still working out the kinks. Here's a pic of the first attached wing on frame (and yes I know the vtail is too small, it needs to be remade about 1.5-2x bigger)
04C8D78D-E40C-4C06-AD8B-9ACBDE6311AF.jpeg