Daz's FT Spitfire build

DazDaMan

Elite member
So, I just went ahead and ordered the FT Spitfire speed-build kit from a shop here in the UK.

I did debate whether to build from the plans, but I've never built an FT design before, and figured the kit would be a better idea.

I hope....!

Anyway, this is where I shall chronicle my build. Now, to think of a colour scheme to do....!

Attachments

• FT Spitfire (1).png
    FT Spitfire (1).png
    145.8 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So, I just went ahead and ordered the FT Spitfire speed-build kit from a shop here in the UK.

I did debate whether to build from the plans, but I've never built an FT design before, and figured the kit would be a better idea.

I hope....!

Anyway, this is where I shall chronicle my build. Now, to think of a colour scheme to do....!
Awesome, I'll follow the build for sure! The spit is one of my favorite ft models. :D

The Fopster

Master member

I hope....!

It’s a great flying plane. Hope you enjoy it!

danskis

Master member
Great flying plane.....good choice. Some suggestions for your consideration. You might want to reinforce the entire nose with some thin plywood - this will make this model last longer. In the US that would be 1/32 but in the UK perhaps 1mm. Also, I highly suggest you reinforce the working part of the elevator with a piece of wire in a "U" shape that goes from one side to the other. Also, start reading some of the other build threads for inspiration.

DazDaMan

Elite member
So I made a bit of a start today. I popped the wings out in order to start assembling them, and also started tracing around the parts so that I have extra parts if needed!

Attachments

• FT Spit build.jpg
    FT Spit build.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Spit build1.jpg
    FT Spit build1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Spit build2.jpg
    FT Spit build2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0

DazDaMan

Elite member
Some progress on the wings.....

Attachments

• FT Spit build7.jpg
    FT Spit build7.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Spit build6.jpg
    FT Spit build6.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Spit build5.jpg
    FT Spit build5.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Spit build4.jpg
    FT Spit build4.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 0
  • FT Spit build3.jpg
    FT Spit build3.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 0

DazDaMan

Elite member
Ordinary parcel tape. No idea if it's any better than the tape that Josh uses in the build video, but it's what I have available.

The Fopster

Master member
Some progress on the wings.....
If it's not too late, tape the servo extension plugs to the aileron servo connectors. If you crash hard enough they come undone and you have to cut a window in the wing to reconnect them. I happen to know this is true because both my FT Spitfire aileron servos disconnected. In two separate crashes. 😳

skymaster

Elite member
So I made a bit of a start today. I popped the wings out in order to start assembling them, and also started tracing around the parts so that I have extra parts if needed!
One question i made my spit fire and i was wondering does any one use the rudder?

DazDaMan

Elite member
I suppose it's handy for tracking the model straight during manoeuvres, but I never use the rudder on my micro Spit!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
One question i made my spit fire and i was wondering does any one use the rudder?

uh, yes.

why wouldn't you? at minimum it's a war bird so you should be mixing some rudder into the ailerons anyways.

in my humble opinion, only people who haven't learned to use their rudder yet are the people who don't use their rudder... ;)

keep practicing and before long you won't even realize you are using it.

laters,

me :cool:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
uh, yes.

why wouldn't you? at minimum it's a war bird so you should be mixing some rudder into the ailerons anyways.

in my humble opinion, only people who haven't learned to use their rudder yet are the people who don't use their rudder... ;)

keep practicing and before long you won't even realize you are using it.

laters,

me :cool:
I 100% agree. I didn’t use rudder till I started learning 3D flying. Now it pains me to fly a plane without rudder, and I even if s plane doesn’t have a rudder originally, I usually add one.