• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Daz's FT Spitfire build

DazDaMan

Elite member
The eagle-eyed among you will have noticed that the leading edge of the left wing has split - I don't think I shaped the foam properly before
attempting to fold it over.

Now, I was wondering if I should trim back the foam on the leading edge so that it's a bit smoother, glue the leading edge for strength, then slap some duct tape along the front. Would that work?

Attachments

DazDaMan

Elite member
So, I stuck some duct tape to the leading edges of the wings to give them a bit more strength, and also put a popsicle stick on the spars to beef them up, too. Hopefully, by tomorrow, the wings should be together permanently...!

DazDaMan

Elite member
A bit more work on the Spitfire tonight. I cut the tail parts and installed the wings, ready for gluing them to the fuselage before cutting away to make a removeable wing.

One thing I have noted is that the power pod seems to be a very tight fit - almost too tight to fit into the fuselage. I'm thinking I might do away with it so that I don't damage the fuselage.

Attachments

DazDaMan

Elite member
Not much to report on my Spitfire build, other than I've glue the wings to the fuselage in preparation for making it removeable.

I've also permanently attached the tail section.

I will try to get some more done tomorrow, but I've been a bit ill the past few days, so not promising anything!

The FT Spitfire is by far one of the best FT planes out there.. You will have a blast with it.
I would strengthen the front area as mentioned. From nose to just behind the front wing skewer. If you have a rough landing that whole foam section that secures the front of the wing will rip out. Mine has had a few mishaps and its still going strong. (second set of wings..)
FTSpit1.jpg
Spit2.jpg

The FT Spitfire is by far one of the best FT planes out there.. You will have a blast with it.
I would strengthen the front area as mentioned. From nose to just behind the front wing skewer. If you have a rough landing that whole foam section that secures the front of the wing will rip out. Mine has had a few mishaps and its still going strong. (second set of wings..) View attachment 200558 View attachment 200559
Ooh. Nice canopy. Where's that from? Is it 3d printed?

bwarz

Elite member
One question i made my spit fire and i was wondering does any one use the rudder?
I have yet to build the spit, but with a nice collection of warbirds going with the rest here so far 100%. Love the rudder, play old school with no mixes and use it to keep my nose pointed where I hope for it to go. Did I say I love the rudder? I love using the rudder.:love::ROFLMAO: My BF109 rudder pushrod came loose leaving me rudderless on its maiden and it just felt dirty :LOL:

DazDaMan

Elite member
Brief update.....

Servos installed in the rear fuselage, and upper decking fitted. I had a bit of a nightmare doing this, as my tape wouldn't hold it down. I had to use hot glue, then duct tape, to hold it in place while I fitted it out. I hot-glued the decking over the formers, then taped them down - same with the front end (although I didn't need to pack it out as per the build video!).

The ping-pong ball in the cockpit is my wannabe pilot!!!

Attachments