Daz's FT Spitfire build

DazDaMan

Elite member
As far as your left turn issue.. Make sure you have some Down/Right thrust angle added to your motor.. I place a small washer between the motor mount and the firewall on the top and left mount screws. Also, I've had to add a bit more aileron to get mine flying true.. No big deal to adjust those to fly right.. Who cares if the ailerons aren't perfectly level while it sits on the bench.. Also, add a little rudder too, everyone always jumps on aileron trim, when sometimes the rudder is out of whack....

Power - What is your power system. (motor, prop, battery c-rating). I didn't see anything about this in the thread..

One more question: Are the wings parallel with the stabilizer? Thats more important, than how it sits on the bench...

Yep, gonna be putting some washers behind the motor mount to get some thrust in (there's none in there at the moment).

If you watch the raw flight video, you can hear Mark saying he's got full left aileron on (since the Spit kept trying to turn right). Gonna try adjusting the pushrod to see if that helps. Rudder might be an idea to try.

Power system is a 1000Kv brushless with a 30A ESC. Battery is a Turnigy 2200Mah 3S. Propeller is a 10x4.5.

The wing is parallel.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
It sits in that space behind the motor, with the front right up against the remnants of the power pod. Note the 30g of lead. We originally thought 25g would be fine, but I added the extra 5g "just in case".
yea your battery sits further back than mine does....... seems like ill have to add some tail weight.:cautious:

willsteffen

For more power, you may want to size down in length and up the pitch.. Do some experimenting with a Watt meter if you have one.. (if not, get one...). I fly mine with a slightly larger 1080KV motor and a 9x6 prop.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
i was just flying on my rc sim now with the ft spitfire... and it struck me how easily it flies... it can slow down to a crawl and at full throttle it can fly pretty fast... i must get mine in the air ASAP. the coolest parts were using the rudder & ailerons to co-ordinate a perfect turn... super smooth

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Had mine out for a good rip yesterday, flew very nicely. Just going through video getting it ready to upload. I use a 2212 2200kv,30A ESC,2200 mah 30C 3s with an 8x6 prop. I only have 7 grams added at the nose with the battery pretty much as far forward as it will go but my plane is wrapped in vinyl so my guess is that without the vinyl I would have had to add more than that. This plane is well worth taking the time to get everything just right.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Had mine out for a good rip yesterday, flew very nicely. Just going through video getting it ready to upload. I use a 2212 2200kv,30A ESC,2200 mah 30C 3s with an 8x6 prop. I only have 7 grams added at the nose with the battery pretty much as far forward as it will go but my plane is wrapped in vinyl so my guess is that without the vinyl I would have had to add more than that. This plane is well worth taking the time to get everything just right.
have you added any thrust angle to your motor? i saw it mentioned somewhere, but flite test doesn't mention anything about it

DazDaMan

Elite member
So, I've decided to attempt a second FT Spitfire build, using the more readily available foamboard from Hobbycraft here in the UK (Westfoam, it's called).

Not much to report thus far, other than I've cut out the flying surfaces from the foamboard and just about to start cutting out the fuselage.

DazDaMan

Elite member
The story so far.....

Attachments

• 252565831_10159576133988149_516655426149074303_n.jpg
    252565831_10159576133988149_516655426149074303_n.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0

Bigeard

So, I've decided to attempt a second FT Spitfire build, using the more readily available foamboard from Hobbycraft here in the UK (Westfoam, it's called).

Not much to report thus far, other than I've cut out the flying surfaces from the foamboard and just about to start cutting out the fuselage.

Liked the build DazDa Man , but was wondering if there is a spinner manufactured by FT to fit over the props ?

DazDaMan

Elite member
Liked the build DazDa Man , but was wondering if there is a spinner manufactured by FT to fit over the props ?

Not 100% sure, but others will know. The plastic spinners that you can buy for other planes work just as well, though.