DC3/C47 2 meters / 6,5 foot twin electric plane

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Nice flight! I’m glad that it flew well, although it looks a little tail heavy to me and that could have played into the landing issue. Overall though great job! I can’t wait to see her all painted up.

Thanks!
She's a bit tailheavy (CG is in the middle of the wing) but i'll ballance that out with the Arduino, which will be attached in the nose.
If that isn't enough I'm going to use a bigger batterie (I'm going to do that anyways).

In the meantime I also made some progress!
I first fixed the batterie holder.
And when I got nothing to do in school I went to the library and started with the Arduino code.

I hope the weather is fine tomorrow so I can fly her again.

See you!
Jetcrafter2000

Attachments

• WP_20180609_19_45_14_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180609_19_45_14_Pro.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0
Jes, it looks like she flyes great but she really ignores the ailerons!
I now mixed the rudder with the ailerons but i didn´t tryed it out jet (the last flight on this day should be the testflight).

Here is the video from the last sunday:

On the last flight i pulled up too early and stalled out.
The damage is verry small.

See you!
Jetcrafter2000

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
She looks amazing on the ground and in the air, now I think it’s time for some paint and to drop some paratroopers ;)

Thanks!

By the way i´ve got the nightlighting to work!
IMG-20180710-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20180710-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20180710-WA0003.jpg

I flew it on the next evening but the landing didn´t go so well.
You really have to watch you speed douring landing!

wp_ss_20180712_0001.png

The whole inner wing is done!
I´m gonna fill the broken surfaces with some epoxy and then i´ll just hold the nacell and the lanndinggear in place.
The opinion is to open everything up and to replace the whole nacell.

See you!
Jetcrafter2000

Hello guys,
i´ve been away for a long time now but i´ve got a lot to do for my final exams and stuff.
But anyway this is what i´ve made on the plane so far.
I put some metall gear servos on the retracts because the old ones died on me.
20190307_172634.jpg

And i´ve repaired the broken engine nacell with some carbonfibre rods but i forgot to take pictures of that:rolleyes:.

Year, a hard landing + 5mm balsa :ROFLMAO:

I'm liking those landing lights.

Same

See ya!
Jetcrafter2000

voyhager3

Looking great!

For attaching the wings to the fuselage, put a screw or two through the spar. There are several ways of installing the screws:
-Drill a pilot hole just smaller than the threads, have the bolt tap into the wood (does not require a nut)
-Drill a hole just as large as the threads and secure it with a nut at the other end (the nut can also be placed into a notch into the bottom wood piece, so that it is flush with the bottom piece and doesn't spin)

View attachment 100603

But the most important part is to drill the holes with the wings installed and in the right place. This will line all of the holes up perfectly and eliminate the need for measuring and guesswork.

The screw head can rest in a hole just below the surface of the foam to hide it.
I’m gonna try that on my own scratch build (JU-288) there is a small wooden spar, so should I make a small plywood plate on the fuselage to attach that to? I think im gonna di the nut and bolt idea because I need to be able to transport this thing

Pieliker96

Elite member
I’m gonna try that on my own scratch build (JU-288) there is a small wooden spar, so should I make a small plywood plate on the fuselage to attach that to? I think im gonna di the nut and bolt idea because I need to be able to transport this thing

That could work yeah. Upon further reflection I'd advise against putting the screws directly through the spar and instead opt for putting them through a tab or two on the wing - that'll keep the main spar as strong as possible.

voyhager3

That could work yeah. Upon further reflection I'd advise against putting the screws directly through the spar and instead opt for putting them through a tab or two on the wing - that'll keep the main spar as strong as possible.
So add some bits of plywood to increase area (to decrease the pressure to lighten the force on the foam) then put the screws through that?

Pieliker96

Elite member
So add some bits of plywood to increase area (to decrease the pressure to lighten the force on the foam) then put the screws through that?

Something like this - the tab holds the wing on without compromising the main spar, and, if placed close enough to the leading/trailing edge, can also serve as an anti-rotation tab (keeping the wing from twisting around the main spar). Ofc this is probably way overkill for smaller planes (these pics are from a quad-EDF delta that's nearly 10 feet long) but the concept can be scaled down to suit.

20200715_171401_HDR.jpg 20200715_163608_HDR.jpg

voyhager3

Something like this - the tab holds the wing on without compromising the main spar, and, if placed close enough to the leading/trailing edge, can also serve as an anti-rotation tab (keeping the wing from twisting around the main spar). Ofc this is probably way overkill for smaller planes (these pics are from a quad-EDF delta that's nearly 10 feet long) but the concept can be scaled down to suit.

View attachment 204381 View attachment 204383
Hm, good idea, I will try something like this, I need to get some hobby plywood first. I’m going to make it an entire sheet on the fuselage for max strength because the fuselage is very skinny on the 288

voyhager3

View attachment 204381 View attachment 204383
How thick of wood should I go?