de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito :-)

Jeepsterjc

Hello. I'd like to introduce my Mosquito. I'm measuring it off of Frank B. Baker's fine drawing so it'll have a about a 54" wing span and be about 41" long. I'm using Creo Parametrics and yes, it's running inside of a VM as we're pretty much a Linux household- but that's another story! I'm just working through the basics right now and should have all of exterior flats/patterns laid out tomorrow. The fuselage bulkhead are already finished but I'll be using a tapered spar so the rest of the interior structure will take me a couple of more days as I haven't thought about it yet... and if my wife doesn't keep me too busy with the chores I've been neglecting! I love the design and building process but have never flown an RC airplane. I did let my pilot's license of 40 years go when my vision got too bad... I then sold my Piper Colt (PA 22-108) but it just doesn't make my heart tick faster to put to foam board.
The Mosquito is another story! When I was a kid I used to pedal my bike to the airport, jump the fence and wander the hangers. (like 1967...) Once a fellow found me in a hanger while I was soaking up the aroma of a real Spitfire. He asked me if I wanted to feel real wind and of course I said yes. He pulled the Spit out of the hanger- he had some sort of jigs that no one else had at the time for some sort of repairs- I can't remember, I was only 9 or 10 at the time... The job was finished and it was time to take it out for a run up. I leaned on a fence, he fired it up and I fell in love with avgas and piston engines!
Soooo... the Mosquito totally makes my heart beat faster... 24 cylinders, loads of cam shafts and valves- now that's an engine! I love big industry and am amazed that over 150000 Merlins were built back in the day of steamships and locomotives... and during the war years with such massive shortages the Mosquito was developed under such difficult times.
I'm pretty lousy at documenting my progress so ... I just wanted to day hello and to keep designing!
Screenshot from 2019-12-27 17-33-57.png

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Looks like a great start! Let us know how we can help with your first foray into RC modeling!

I will say, a twin engine low wing warbird wouldn't be something I'd recommend as a "trainer", so while you work on this model you might want to toss together a tiny trainer or something easier to start with.

Good luck with the design and welcome to the forum!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Welcome to the forums!! That is already looking really good!!
I agree with wilmracer, you might want to build a tiny trainer or mini scout before you fly the mosquito.

dutchmonkey

Hello. I'd like to introduce my Mosquito. I'm measuring it off of Frank B. Baker's fine drawing so it'll have a about a 54" wing span and be about 41" long. I'm using Creo Parametrics and yes, it's running inside of a VM as we're pretty much a Linux household- but that's another story! I'm just working through the basics right now and should have all of exterior flats/patterns laid out tomorrow. The fuselage bulkhead are already finished but I'll be using a tapered spar so the rest of the interior structure will take me a couple of more days as I haven't thought about it yet... and if my wife doesn't keep me too busy with the chores I've been neglecting! I love the design and building process but have never flown an RC airplane. I did let my pilot's license of 40 years go when my vision got too bad... I then sold my Piper Colt (PA 22-108) but it just doesn't make my heart tick faster to put to foam board.
The Mosquito is another story! When I was a kid I used to pedal my bike to the airport, jump the fence and wander the hangers. (like 1967...) Once a fellow found me in a hanger while I was soaking up the aroma of a real Spitfire. He asked me if I wanted to feel real wind and of course I said yes. He pulled the Spit out of the hanger- he had some sort of jigs that no one else had at the time for some sort of repairs- I can't remember, I was only 9 or 10 at the time... The job was finished and it was time to take it out for a run up. I leaned on a fence, he fired it up and I fell in love with avgas and piston engines!
Soooo... the Mosquito totally makes my heart beat faster... 24 cylinders, loads of cam shafts and valves- now that's an engine! I love big industry and am amazed that over 150000 Merlins were built back in the day of steamships and locomotives... and during the war years with such massive shortages the Mosquito was developed under such difficult times.
I'm pretty lousy at documenting my progress so ... I just wanted to day hello and to keep designing!
View attachment 152328
What program are you using?

Jeepsterjc

Looks like a great start! Let us know how we can help with your first foray into RC modeling!

I will say, a twin engine low wing warbird wouldn't be something I'd recommend as a "trainer", so while you work on this model you might want to toss together a tiny trainer or something easier to start with.

Good luck with the design and welcome to the forum!
Hi. Thanks. Yes, I've downloaded the Simple Cub to start with. I have all the supplies, escs, servos and small motors but no transmitter or receiver yet. I'm not in any rush to fly.
I'm thinking of the frsky and the flight stabilized receiver...??? Are they good for beginners?

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I'm thinking of the frsky and the flight stabilized receiver...??? Are they good for beginners?

I love my frsky stuff. I'm still relatively new to frsky (most of my gear is still Spektrum) but what I've used so far has been very reliable. I haven't used their stabilization yet so someone else can chime in, but I imagine in works well.