De Havilland Dove (what is the airspeed velocity of an unbatteried Dove, and how can it possibly carry a coconut?)

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The De Havilland Dove was the winner of the poll on a previous thread. I will model it as an electric foam board airplane. REMEMBER the following: the plans will be on a separate thread, it won't fly until 2020 so grab some popcorn, and advice and feedback is always appreciated. The prototypes will be in dollar tree foam board, and the final version will be in Flite Test Foam. This is the most complicated build I've done so far and it will also be the most expensive, so there will probably be a few blaring mistakes that I make. Finally, this will be a scale model which will probably weigh in heavy and the only use of wood, carbon Fiber, or plastic can be for landing gear enforcement and a firewall. This is the link to the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Dove. Images:
1558486457530.png
1558486496501.png
. Citations: "De Havilland Dove." En.wikipedia.org. N. p., 2019. Web. 22 May 2019.
"De Havilland Dove Images - Google Search." Google.com. N. p., 2019. Web. 22 May 2019.
"De Havilland Dove Images - Google Search." Google.com. N. p., 2019. Web. 22 May 2019.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The power plant for this airplane should be able to carry the whole airplane, and a cargo of a coconut (not just a joke), so if you know a reliable setup this is a guideline. I will update this with the dimensions of the aircraft later.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Awesome. Looking forward to seeing your progress! I don't know what your previous build experience is, but sounds like this will challenge you to grow. My own building and flying experience is pretty limited and I'll be starting designing and building a De Havilland Dash 8 for my next project, as it was the winner of a poll I had a bit before you started your own. It will be my first twin engine plane and first airliner style plane in building and flying. I probably won't use as many advanced techniques and mine will look a bit boxier, but I don't have a scheduled date to finish so I'll probably have a quick and dirty prototype up to maiden within the next couple weeks.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
UPDATE: The aircraft will most likely have a bubble canopy. I was wondering if I should base it off of formers with molding the foam, or box folding techniques. The Dove will most likely have a wingspan of 1.5 to 2.75 m and I would like to put retracts on it (which would still be allowed under the rules). With the former technique the wing will be stronger and able to use only foam for spars, but it would have a higher wing loading snd overall be heavier. Due to the shape of the fuselage it its possible that it could be folded with the top being molded. As for the coconut, I will either make the cargo bay on the CG with a hatch or have it load in from a removable tail from the top or open up the tail like the Boeing DreamLifter
1559265695924.png
. The final option would be nose loading like the 747, it all depends on whether it is tail heavy or nose heavy.
Nycaviation.com. N. p., 2019. Web. 31 May 2019.
1559266021267.png

I.ytimg.com. N. p., 2019. Web. 31 May 2019.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I love how the Dove looks like they took the Nacelles off of a DH-88 and made a transport plane out of it! lol

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The De Havilland Dove was the winner of the poll on a previous thread. I will model it as an electric foam board airplane. REMEMBER the following: the plans will be on a separate thread, it won't fly until 2020 so grab some popcorn, and advice and feedback is always appreciated. The prototypes will be in dollar tree foam board, and the final version will be in Flite Test Foam. This is the most complicated build I've done so far and it will also be the most expensive, so there will probably be a few blaring mistakes that I make. Finally, this will be a scale model which will probably weigh in heavy and the only use of wood, carbon Fiber, or plastic can be for landing gear enforcement and a firewall. This is the link to the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Dove. Images: View attachment 131809 , View attachment 131810 . Citations: "De Havilland Dove." En.wikipedia.org. N. p., 2019. Web. 22 May 2019.
UPDATE, so I can save money I am thinking of turning this into a swappable that runs off of 2 3s 2200 mah lipo batteries to allow for longer flights. I still may drop a coconut from it if I can find cheap 4 cell batteries that are light enough. Thanks for current feedback, this is about a year away so there won't be much progress for a month or two.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Update may be making an order from Hobbyking soon so does anyone know what size retracts I should get for a twin 1.5 m cargo plane like this?

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I'll be getting the twin c pack and I just hope that the motors last till October, my last plane with the C pack flew away :)

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
If the coronavirus comes back again during the fall, and it likely will, this event might be cancelled, or at least made smaller. That would be too bad, but if it were to happen I'd make the wing have a wood spar since I would no longer have the restraints of the competition.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Well, I have a bit of a problem. 1: Hobbyking isn't shipping to my area for some reason, so I can't get many of the parts I needed, and 2: If I were to use the electronics I have layinf around it would likely end up needing wood reinforcement because of the extra weight in the motor pods ☹️, plus, I want to keep my current electronics for other projects. Because of that this will be delayed until Hobbyking starts shipping again, which hopefully will be soon enough for me to build this by October. If not, I'lll probably have to make something else for the competition, and just wait until I am able to get the parts I need for this.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Well, I have a bit of a problem. 1: Hobbyking isn't shipping to my area for some reason, so I can't get many of the parts I needed, and 2: If I were to use the electronics I have layinf around it would likely end up needing wood reinforcement because of the extra weight in the motor pods ☹️, plus, I want to keep my current electronics for other projects. Because of that this will be delayed until Hobbyking starts shipping again, which hopefully will be soon enough for me to build this by October. If not, I'lll probably have to make something else for the competition, and just wait until I am able to get the parts I need for this.

what do you need? i have boxes of sh-- in my closet and pretty sure i have prob 3 diff sets of retracts.

let me know, sure we can figure something out.

laters,

me :cool:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
what do you need? i have boxes of sh-- in my closet and pretty sure i have prob 3 diff sets of retracts.

let me know, sure we can figure something out.

laters,

me :cool:
I already purchased most of the parts for the IL-2. For some reason I didn't see your comment until today. Thanks for the offer though :)