Dead quad

FastCrash45

Elite member
I got a world tech toys stryker drone which was doa. I just want to make it fly and later down the road add fpv. I know I need 4 motors and 4 speed controls. Here is a list of what I have.
1) 4 2205 motors
2) 4 props 2 cw 2 ccw 5030 3 blade
3) nice frame
4) 4 speed controls 30amp
5) FS-i6 radio
I have never owned or used a quad so what else do I need to make this work? Please keep it on the cheap side cause I'm not interested in cameras or fpv until I learn if I like this or can even fly one. Thanks in advance!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
You will need a receiver that puts out S-BUS or I-BUS data (like this one https://www.banggood.com/IRangeX-Fl...-p-1304526.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN ) and a flight controller to make sense of that data and combine it with it's onboard sensors to give the command info to the 4 ESCs you have.
Best option here is an All-in-One flight controller which includes the power distribution to the 4 ESCs.
One like this...
https://www.banggood.com/HAKRC-BF3-...-p-1231908.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
That will get your quad flying, assuming all the other bits you have are working - it will also fully support the addition of a camera and transmitter. It's includes a current sensor to measure how much you are drawing from your battery and the chipset to provide an onscreen display of information in your video transmission if you add FTP.

FastCrash45

Elite member
Thanks everyone! I think that's what I'll do. Get a frame, pdb, fc, receiver, and the motors and esc's I have will actually get me a larger quad. If I want a good one I'll just piece it together instead of fixing this cheapy to fly.

FastCrash45

Elite member
Just came across hobbytron. They sell the motherboard AND the transmitter for $6.95 shipped. Good grief I knew it was a cheap thing but didn't know how cheap. If it worked I'm betting it would lose signal at 20ft on a good day. Glad it was a gift.😆😆😂😅

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Thanks everyone! I think that's what I'll do. Get a frame, pdb, fc, receiver, and the motors and esc's I have will actually get me a larger quad. If I want a good one I'll just piece it together instead of fixing this cheapy to fly.
Remember the all in one means that the FC and PDB are all on one integrated board.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would suggest getting a Gremlin kit. Decently priced, all parts matched and tested to be a good reliable kit if properly built and you probably wont have to wait half the summer for all the parts to arrive.

FastCrash45

Elite member
I would suggest getting a Gremlin kit. Decently priced, all parts matched and tested to be a good reliable kit if properly built and you probably wont have to wait half the summer for all the parts to arrive.
I don't know the luck of others but I've ordered from Banggood twice and both times I got stuff that was junk. An esc for my truck which wouldnt even turn on and a 1806 motor which caught my power pod on fire the moment I hooked the ESC to the battery. Esc is working perfect with my mini scout. I won't be buying from them again. On eBay I always filter for U.S. only.

FastCrash45

Elite member
I'm glad you got good stuff. Twice burned I'm wary of ordering anything. They wanted video of it not working and the return shipping was twice what I paid for each item. Maybe someday in the future I'm try them again but for now I'll stay with U.S. sellers. May your flights be long and your landings always soft!😎

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I wont use banggood because they steal others products, reverse engineer them, then reproduce crap versions.

Wasnt too far back the stole the FT punjet and made a brittle pos version of that.

Cant get with that in any way shape or form.

Bricks

Master member
I have had very good experiences buying 2 quads off of RCG plus many other things and got one heck of a deal, plugged in batteries and flew. I personally would not be afraid of buying another quad off of there check the members trading rating ask questions and carry on.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I wont use banggood because they steal others products, reverse engineer them, then reproduce crap versions.

Wasnt too far back the stole the FT punjet and made a brittle pos version of that.

Cant get with that in any way shape or form.

I won't use them for that reason either - my dad bought some motors off of them and had issues with the shipping and with the winding of the motors; on one of them, it looked like someone had hand wound the wiring and did it loosely. On another, they had burrs on the prop shaft, which kept screwing up the M5 nuts we were putting on; we ended up having to run a tap on it to clean up the threads.

I know some of this can happen with any company, but on these knockoffs? I'm sorry, I'll buy my stuff through GetFPV or RMRC or Aloft or any of the other quad companies doing mail order in the U.S. Sure, the stuff may be made overseas, but if there's a problem, those companies take care of me. ;)