"Dead-Stick" Challenge!

Are you in?

• Total voters

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
So I got the design of my aircraft roughly drawn up. I did the math and the dimensions are legal. It's probably not the best idea to show my plans at this point but who knows if they're going to fly anyway.
16073094373552251941569482941388.jpg

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Smart! Can you just tell me the allowed plane types? I missed out on the other posts except for seeing that slope gliders aren't allowed?
Thanks! You can make any type of plane as long as the wing span is at or under 115% of the fuselage. This means that if you multiply the fuselage length by 1.15 the product should be the maximum length of your wing. Or if you want to play it safe then make your wingspan the same length or shorter than the length of your fuselage. I think I explained that ok. The rest of the rules have been updated in my original post.

Last edited:

Piotrsko

Master member
Ok so I can use the neighborhood school HVAC exhaust for the permanent thermal on my superslow stick with a fuselage stinger out the back holding the tailwheel

BTW we used to slope junior nobler C/L planes because they would also thermal therefore aspect ratio is not critical to duration. Rate of sink is.

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The Dead Stick Landing Challenge!
The dead stick landing challenge is an awesome challenge that my club and I really enjoy. The goal of this challenge is to stay in the air the longest without the motor on (hence the name dead stick). The challenge starts like this, the contestants line up with their airplanes and when the signal is given they through or take off their airplanes and have ten seconds to gain as much altitude as they can. Once the ten seconds have run out they must turn their motors off and try to stay in the air the longest. The last one down wins! As you can already tell, winning this challenge has as much to do with the airplane as it has to do with the skill of the pilot. This means you have to chose/build an airplane that glides well and learn its characteristics.
Rules(Up to Date)!
One good thing about this game is that there are next to no rules or limitations on what you can do! The only rules are...
  1. You can only run the motor for the first ten seconds of your time.
  2. The time starts when the plane leaves the ground or your hand, and ends when it touches the ground.
  3. Once you turn off the motor you can't turn it back on.
  4. Longest flight time wins.
  5. The airplane that is used must have a motor/engine.
  6. The wingspan of your airplane can not exceed 115% of the length of the fuselage of your airplane.
  7. The flight must be done on relatively flat land (so no steep slopes or cliffs).
  8. Have fun!
If we get enough contestants I'll consider getting a prize for the winner, and entries should be a video of your flight (with a stop watch if you can) and are due by Jan 1. Feel free to build an airplane specific to this challenge. Finally if you find any loopholes or explodes in my rules feel free to use them and have fun!

Ok, gotta ask in case someone else hasn't - Wingspan cannot exceed 115% of the length of the fuselage. Can I use a Versa Wing? I can hook those suckers up in a nice thermal at my field and glide for quite a while. :) (and yes, my field is relatively flat, but we have a lot of greenery that sits down at the north end of the field, and when we get sun in the mornings in Southern California, that stuff kicks up some nice thermals)

Tench745

Master member
Ok, gotta ask in case someone else hasn't - Wingspan cannot exceed 115% of the length of the fuselage. Can I use a Versa Wing? I can hook those suckers up in a nice thermal at my field and glide for quite a while. :) (and yes, my field is relatively flat, but we have a lot of greenery that sits down at the north end of the field, and when we get sun in the mornings in Southern California, that stuff kicks up some nice thermals)
Presumably with no fuselage, flying wings are out.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Presumably with no fuselage, flying wings are out.
Make a flying wing that has a fuse (arrow or spear with the pod) and put a stick on the front that is the same length as the wingspan. You get the desired ratio and your plane will glide pretty good I think.
(of course I'm kidding though, I think that might be bending the rules a bit too far lol)

...I think that might be bending the rules a bit too far lol
Nope. If using a power pod designed to detach and parachute to earth mid-flight isn't bending the rules too far then using your plane instead of a nosecone on a 2-stage rocket isn't bending the rules too far either. Then tacking a dowel to your flying wing isn't bending the rules too far either.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Nope. If using a power pod designed to detach and parachute to earth mid-flight isn't bending the rules too far then using your plane instead of a nosecone on a 2-stage rocket isn't bending the rules too far either. Then tacking a dowel to your flying wing isn't bending the rules too far either.
Your right, Just make sure it has a motor!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i admit that i did do some sketches today. i'm just not sure that will all my commitments that i will have time to pull this one off by Jan 5th. but, i do like the idea.

also, since last time i checked we were still changing the rules. it is now 115%. what else? should i assume the AMA max height of 400ft cannot be broken? or are we throwing it all out the window? i'm fine with either, just want to know. :LOL:

assuming things don't change again and i can find the supplies i need in time, i'm still in.

me :cool:

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
i admit that i did do some sketches today. i'm just not sure that will all my commitments that i will have time to pull this one off by Jan 5th. but, i do like the idea.

also, since last time i checked we were still changing the rules. it is now 115%. what else? should i assume the AMA max height of 400ft cannot be broken? or are we throwing it all out the window? i'm fine with either, just want to know. :LOL:

assuming things don't change again and i can find the supplies i need in time, i'm still in.

me :cool:
Don't worry, no more changes!