Dead Turnigy 9x - reversed battery polarity

dflash

I need some help!! My radio was working fine with a zippy 2500 11v lipo until this afternoon. I took out the battery to charge it and when it was done my son tried to plug the battery back in, but he reversed the polarity and we got the magic smoke. I replaced the burnt cap with 22uF 35V but nothing, still wont power on. Any ideas suggestions?:confused:

dflash

You'll most likely also need to replace the voltage regulator.

Yep.. I believe you are right. I have been doing some reading while I waited for a reply and most people have had to replace both.

Seems the cap is : SMD Capacitor, 22UF, 16V
cap.jpg

And the Volt regulator should be this: Voltage Regulator +5.0V, SMD, SOT-89-3 But when I do a search I get the same part with different mA ratings. Any idea what this one should be?

volt_reg.jpg

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
The regulator is a common part on most ESC's. It supplies voltage to the ESC processor. The parts might be salvaged from an old ESC. I have 2 dead esc's on my bench and both have these parts.

Thurmond

RichB

I also let the smoke out of my 9x by reversing the polarity.

I repaired mine with some fancy soldering and and 5v regulator I picked up from Radio Shack that day.

20131215_130901_scaled.jpg

20131215_130914_scaled.jpg

That was over a year ago. Still going strong.

dflash

The regulator is a common part on most ESC's. It supplies voltage to the ESC processor. The parts might be salvaged from an old ESC. I have 2 dead esc's on my bench and both have these parts.

Thurmond

I checked one of my defunct ESC and the voltage regulator is 12v. The capacitor I can't tell. - ESC 20A Turnigy

dflash

It seems you relocated the volt reg? by passed the original cap and put it in line? What the other wire going to? do you have the ratings for the parts you used?

Last edited:

joshuabardwell

Mentor
As long as you're at it, put a nice switching regulator in there! I am pretty sure the 9x runs at 5v internally, not 12v. Please double-check this carefully before following dflash's advice.

rcwingman

being Ghetto since 2016
YES joshuabardwell guess it right!
DO NOT USE A 12V voltage regulator as replacement!

its 3,3volt and 5 Volt NOT 12VOLT!!!!
3,3v_pic.jpg

dflash

I ordered some 5v voltage regulators and SMD capacitors from Newark/Element14, but forgot to order the 3.3v just in case that was blown too. In most cases I have read online, what goes it the 5v Volt Reg and the Cap. Lets hope that all I need.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I checked one of my defunct ESC and the voltage regulator is 12v. The capacitor I can't tell. - ESC 20A Turnigy

Most ESC's have "several voltage regulators". It is common practice to use a sequence of fixed regulators to downstep the voltage to the next regulator. A 12V regulator indicates an ESC that is useable for more than 4S batteries. There will be one or more 5V regulators if the ESC also has a BEC. There will also be a separate 5V or 3.3V regulator for the processor in most ESC's.

Here is a page with a pic for a 4S capable ESC:

http://www.freebirdrc.com/#!blank/cgkk

Thurmond

Last edited:

dflash

Ok.. so after looking around in some dead electronic equipment, I found this motherboard and a voltage regulator labeled 78L05, will it work? See photo:
Volt_reg.JPG

dflash

Most ESC's have "several voltage regulators". It is common practice to use a sequence of fixed regulators to downstep the voltage to the next regulator. A 12V regulator indicates an ESC that is useable for more than 4S batteries. There will be one or more 5V regulators if the ESC also has a BEC. There will also be a separate 5V or 3.3V regulator for the processor in most ESC's.

Here is a page with a pic for a 4S capable ESC:

http://www.freebirdrc.com/#!blank/cgkk

Thurmond

See image below from the only ESC that I can use for parts. I only saw one Volt Reg that would fit the description but its labeled 78L12 - All the others are too small. See photo:

ESC_Volt_reg.JPG

joshuabardwell

Mentor
In the future, instead of scavenging, why not order from Digikey? I like them because they will ship via USPS First Class, so you don't end up paying $5 to ship a five cent part.

EDIT: What am I saying? Scavenging is awesome! But if you can't find what you need, Digikey is a good choice.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
My policy on ordering electronic components is that I always order at least a few more than I need. It's usually the case that the component is $1-$3 at most, and shipping is around $2. So I piggyback the shipping. As a result, I now have a drawer with a little bit of everything in it: analog muxes, voltage regulators, 555 timers, optoisolators, various types of transistor, etc... It makes it much more likely that I will already have something the next time I need it, and it only costs me a little bit extra when I order.

dflash

My policy on ordering electronic components is that I always order at least a few more than I need. It's usually the case that the component is $1-$3 at most, and shipping is around $2. So I piggyback the shipping. As a result, I now have a drawer with a little bit of everything in it: analog muxes, voltage regulators, 555 timers, optoisolators, various types of transistor, etc... It makes it much more likely that I will already have something the next time I need it, and it only costs me a little bit extra when I order.

Yep.. totally agree. I have a bunch if components too, but all to work with Arduino and Raspberrypi. But I have not used surface mount.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Yep.. totally agree. I have a bunch if components too, but all to work with Arduino and Raspberrypi. But I have not used surface mount.

Same here. I am tempted by surface mount sometimes. If you order the right size, it will fit over 0.1" pitch perf-board and you can still solder it down without having to custom-print a board. SMD saves so much space, but I'm never sure whether it's worth it.

If you need advice on soldering SMD with hand tools, here is a great video:

dflash

------------------UPDATE!-------------------------
I replaced the capacitor with a barrel type and the voltage regulator that was burnt with one of the same from a MB that was already busted. NOTHING!!!! - So I did some relaxation meditation and tried RickB's solution... MORE NOTHING!!!
What else could be wrong????:mad::mad::mad: