Deadcat Frame Angles

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Hi all, when I return from college in December I am hoping to build a deadcat style quad frame. I have experience with the classic X-configuration, but now I want more space for my camera gimbal mounted out front. My question is: what are the angles between the arms on a deadcat style frame. I know the back arms are 90 degrees apart, but what about the front arms in relation to eachother and the back. Also, would I need to modify the code for my multiwii pro since its no longer in the x-configuration?

Thanks!
-Sam

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Also, where should the CG be located and do the arm lengths differ from back to front?
Thanks

joshuabardwell

Mentor
You don't have to change the motor mixes for the spider X config. The standard X mix will work okay. But in my experience, the correct mix flies better. See here for more info:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...rameters-for-Electrohub-spider-quad-w-MW-Flip

If you don't want to use custom motor mixes, build a spider-style quad, but shorten the front booms or extend the rear booms so that the motors are in a square configuration. Then place the FC and the CG at the center of that square. Then a standard X config will be 100% correct, without any code changes.

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Thanks Joshua this will help a ton with my frame design as wells as my understanding of the deadcat configuration.