Dealing with People?!

FieldRC

Hello, Everyone
How do you guys deal with passerby when you fly? Unfortunately, in my area there aren't large fields or private spaces I can fly in, so I'm forced to use the local soccer field. I'm a beginner so I don't have that good of control over my plane (Sport cub S, and soon a scratchbuild). I think if somebody's with their kids or walking a dog it might not be so safe.

I've resorted to showing up at 7am on weekends (the only time I can fly pretty much, I don't have time on weekdays) so it's not like I can get that much practice. I don't think I have the budget for a sim either. Any ideas on how to deal with this situation?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I fly only at public parks or school yards. I often have people nearby.

First, I avoid flying over anyone. If someone wants to talk they will usually wait until I am not flying something, if not, and I see them out of the corner of my eye, I just say "please wait, I'll land and then answer your question."

Dogs are an issue. Especially since we UAS pilots are supposed to follow the rules, but many dog owners do not and even though our city has leash rules, there are ALWAYS people who come to the park and let their dogs run loose. I have no patience for that and stop flying if someone's loose dog is trying to chase my plane or quad.

Lastly, as for "safe" it really depends on how big and heavy your plane is. Most FT mini or UMX sized plans are fine around people, but to avoid conflict I don't fly over them even though I know it won't hurt anyone.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice thing for me not being part of the working class I can get to the fields when everyone is in school or work. Very few times have I flown with anyone around to be a problem for them or me. I have had people come up and ask about what I am doing. You would be surprised how many are brainwashed about quad copters and video. They all think we have U2 spy plane level cameras and can see thru walls from space...

After a quick ride in the goggles or on the tiny monitor they quickly see that we can not peak into windows even if we were hovering right next to them in most cases. No one has ever complained about me flying most are very inquisitive. I have only had one ignorant teacher march a whole gym class thru my race track to get to the field they were going to use instead of walking along the edge of the field. No drama I said hello and stared her down returning her spiteful look to see if her intentional agitation had provoked any confrontation. No problems since.. Now they walk the edge of the field with no drama or issue the few other times they happened to come out when I was there.

The only other person I remotely had issue with was a young father and his son who decided it was wise to walk across the soccer field with a flag and gate race course set up. When I asked if they wanted to use the field I found out he did it because "it was a public park and he was a grown ass man so he could go where he wanted" and yes that was an exact quote. I asked him if they walked out onto the same field when a soccer game was going on so they could see that better. He puffed up and got a look on his face like he wanted confrontation. At that point his son started looking worried like something was going to happen so I asked if they wanted to use the field and if so I would pack up and go home. Then I just stood there waiting for a decision after inviting them over to where I sit to fly so they can see thru the monitor.

FieldRC

Good ideas!
Seems like explaining what I'm doing in a friendly manner is better than dodging people. Makes me look less suspicious.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Good ideas!
Seems like explaining what I'm doing in a friendly manner is better than dodging people. Makes me look less suspicious.

That and who knows you might actually create interest and gain a flying buddy. That's why I try to promote the hobby politely when I have need to defend it if I can. Some people are just too far gone so don't expect good results every time.

FieldRC

That and who knows you might actually create interest and gain a flying buddy. That's why I try to promote the hobby politely when I have need to defend it if I can. Some people are just too far gone so don't expect good results every time.
Another good idea. Seems like having some friends who fly will take away the preconception of the guy who spies on people. I'll try that.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I invite them stand behind me and watch me fly. When I land, I unplug the battery and hand them the plane to examine. That generally starts a conversation which ends with an invitation to come to club meeting.

FieldRC

I invite them stand behind me and watch me fly. When I land, I unplug the battery and hand them the plane to examine. That generally starts a conversation which ends with an invitation to come to club meeting.
Good idea! That'll also prevent them from thinking you're spying.

boogieloo

I didn't know I had to deal with anybody. What's the FCC ruling anyway? I was just curious. Or the FAA ruling.

L Edge

Master member
If you look at the legal aspects, it is public property. So they have a right to be on it as well as you(no town signs posted). If you hit them and do any (physical or mental) damage , it could end up go to court. Town isn't going to pay bills, so guess who.

Worst case I had, flying 8 lb heli and dog unleashed, chasing my chopper every time I tried to land it. Yelled at guy to leash dog and he refused(he wanted me to run out of fuel and crash). Knowing that, ended up beating the situation by(shutting off engine) and autoing in for if I landed with engine running, the whirring blades would take out the dog. Enough said.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Hello, Everyone
How do you guys deal with passerby when you fly? Unfortunately, in my area there aren't large fields or private spaces I can fly in, so I'm forced to use the local soccer field. I'm a beginner so I don't have that good of control over my plane (Sport cub S, and soon a scratchbuild). I think if somebody's with their kids or walking a dog it might not be so safe.

I've resorted to showing up at 7am on weekends (the only time I can fly pretty much, I don't have time on weekdays) so it's not like I can get that much practice. I don't think I have the budget for a sim either. Any ideas on how to deal with this situation?
You can download the Phoenix sim for free and get a usb thing to be able to hook your transmitter to the computer on Amazon for under $20. Its not too bad a sim

Taildragger

Legendary member
If you look at the legal aspects, it is public property. So they have a right to be on it as well as you(no town signs posted). If you hit them and do any (physical or mental) damage , it could end up go to court. Town isn't going to pay bills, so guess who.

Worst case I had, flying 8 lb heli and dog unleashed, chasing my chopper every time I tried to land it. Yelled at guy to leash dog and he refused(he wanted me to run out of fuel and crash). Knowing that, ended up beating the situation by(shutting off engine) and autoing in for if I landed with engine running, the whirring blades would take out the dog. Enough said.
whats autoing it?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I didn't know I had to deal with anybody. What's the FCC ruling anyway? I was just curious. Or the FAA ruling.

F.C.C. and F.A.A. are governing agencies in the USA that look after radio use and licensing (Federal communications commission) and managing the air space in America as well as currently dismantling the RC hobby for profits of commercial entities (Federal Aviation Administration)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
whats autoing it?

Its a technique used to land a helicopter whos engine has failed. Basically with the engine dead you use blade pitch to keep the blades spinning fast on the way down and at a time just before hitting the ground you change pitch using that head speed to create a bit of lift to slow the fall and hopefully land in one piece. Real helicopters practice that as well and its part of getting a heili certification