Decal Plans - Everybody Join In

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Are you guys coating the paper after the plane is built with minwax or anything like that or is the glossy or vinyl covering usually good enough for protection?

On my combat planes I cover the paper with clear packing tape, haven't tried anything else yet. The packing tape does a really good job of water proofing, and makes the plane much stronger.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
This threads been kind of dead. Thought I'd give it a shot in the arm and see what happens.
For thoses who don't know, I finished a full set of printable PDF paper replacements (decals) for the FT Mini P51.
Bud Andersons P51 "Old Crow"
OCa.jpg
You can find the link to both 8.5X11 and 11X17 sizes in the first post of the thread here.
Hoping to get more done but I have lots of irons in the fire. I can only I hope I don't spread myself too thin!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
This threads been kind of dead. Thought I'd give it a shot in the arm and see what happens.
For thoses who don't know, I finished a full set of printable PDF paper replacements (decals) for the FT Mini P51.

I'll add this to the first post. This also reminds me, Desert Wings has a bunch of skins made up for FT planes as well. I was going to add them a month ago and got distracted.

Here's his article:

http://flitetest.com/articles/foam-board-that-looks-great

SheppO

Ive been wondering if this amazing artwork could be printed straight to foamboard using a direct to media printer (which i've been reading out recently). Then into the laser cutter and out pops an FTxRasterize "artists series" Speed build kit ;-) Calibration between the printer and the laser would be difficult i expect...

Rasterize

Mentor
Ive been wondering if this amazing artwork could be printed straight to foamboard using a direct to media printer (which i've been reading out recently). Then into the laser cutter and out pops an FTxRasterize "artists series" Speed build kit ;-) Calibration between the printer and the laser would be difficult i expect...

First off thanks for the kind words. :eek: Believe me I have thought about this. The short answer is yes. The tech is there. Flatbed printers will do it very well. Cutters with very accurate registration systems will also do it quite nicely. The down side. Price. Unless you print a lot, the price per unit will make most "dollar store foam" builders flinch. That and the price of full fuselage RTF and ATF such as the ones produced by Parkzone are getting cheaper and cheaper. Some FT speedbuild kits are pushing the $40 level. Would someone be willing to pay $60 or $70 for a fully decorated speedbuild kit? Maybe. Enough to justify a large print run? Well.... It would have to make business sense for FT of course as well as their parent company.
Now could I create these FTxRasterize "artists series" Speed build kits on my own and see what the demand would be in the hopes of FT backing the project one day? Meh. I see a lot of work upfront and little reward even if it does work. I'd rather do like some of these guys that sell plans for planes they design and sell the art for them for a few bucks. Less hassle and it's cheaper for the guy building the plane in the end. Also eliminates shipping for folks across the pond. ;)

Rasterize

Mentor
I'll add this to the first post. This also reminds me, Desert Wings has a bunch of skins made up for FT planes as well. I was going to add them a month ago and got distracted.

Here's his article:

http://flitetest.com/articles/foam-board-that-looks-great

Ya know, there are a few of us out there that have the tools and skills to do this. I have been thinking what would happen if we combined our talent, time and skills. Mind blowing awesome things I would imagine.

SheppO

First off thanks for the kind words. :eek: Believe me I have thought about this. The short answer is yes. The tech is there. Flatbed printers will do it very well. Cutters with very accurate registration systems will also do it quite nicely. The down side. Price. Unless you print a lot, the price per unit will make most "dollar store foam" builders flinch. That and the price of full fuselage RTF and ATF such as the ones produced by Parkzone are getting cheaper and cheaper. Some FT speedbuild kits are pushing the $40 level. Would someone be willing to pay $60 or $70 for a fully decorated speedbuild kit? Maybe. Enough to justify a large print run? Well.... It would have to make business sense for FT of course as well as their parent company.
Now could I create these FTxRasterize "artists series" Speed build kits on my own and see what the demand would be in the hopes of FT backing the project one day? Meh. I see a lot of work upfront and little reward even if it does work. I'd rather do like some of these guys that sell plans for planes they design and sell the art for them for a few bucks. Less hassle and it's cheaper for the guy building the plane in the end. Also eliminates shipping for folks across the pond. ;)

Right on dude. :)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Ya know, there are a few of us out there that have the tools and skills to do this. I have been thinking what would happen if we combined our talent, time and skills. Mind blowing awesome things I would imagine.

What did you have in mind? Are we using our powers for good or evil? ;)

ablair

View attachment 62308
You can find the link to both 8.5X11 and 11X17 sizes in the first post of the thread here.
Hoping to get more done but I have lots of irons in the fire. I can only I hope I don't spread myself too thin!

That's a great job!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Thanks ablair!
Made a new Mini Mustang...

View attachment 62887

More here.

Added this one to the first post as well. When I checked the first post earlier the pictures weren't showing up for this one, or the other mustang, but they're there now. Might have something to do with my recycling attached images. Can you look and let me know if you can see them?