Decal Plans - Everybody Join In

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
This is the place to post up all your Decal Plans. I will update this post periodically with links to the posted plans to keep things organized.

Actual Decal Plans are linked at the bottom of this post.

What is a Decal Plan?

A Decal Plan is a plan that uses Flitetest or FT Community Base Plans to create printable designs meant to replace the Adams Foamboard paper.

I started doing this with some of my own designs, and have since expanded. It would be awesome to have a library of these things made by the community.

Decal Plans speed up the scratch build process, reduce weight, and make your plane look darned cool without the effort of paint and tape.

Print them yourself, or find a vendor that can do color engineering prints for the best deal.

Pictures are worth a thousand words:

Micro F22 Original Plans - Full

Micro F22 Decal Plans - Full

As something like this could quickly become a mess, I've thought up a few guidelines.

1.) Keep everything within the FT Community Standards
2.) Always Credit the original plan Designer
3.) Try to keep as many of the original score cuts, creases, foam removal sections, bevels ect... as possible.
4.) Include a link to the original Plan on the first page of your decal plan.
5.) Try to keep things compatible with the original version, if you're changing things, and they aren't noted, things can get confusing.

.........................................................................................................................

Decal Plans!

Bloody Baron v1.0

Original Plan by SPONZ
Decals by LocalFiend

Bloody Baron v1.0 Black Full - Tiled

Bloody Baron v1.0 Blue Full - Tiled

Bloody Baron v1.0 Red Full - Tiled

Bloody Baron v1.0 Yellow Full - Tiled

Bloody Baron v1.0 Green Full - Tiled

Bloody Baron v1.0 Orange Full - Tiled

Bloody Baron v1.0 Purple Full - Tiled

Bloody Baron v1.0 Pink Full - Tiled

FT Bushwacker - Highlander Edition

Original Plans by Peter Sripol
Decals by LocalFiend

FT Bushwacker Decal Plans - Tiled Green

FT Bushwacker Decal Plans - Tiled Red

Mighty Mini P-51 Mustang - Old Crow

Original Plans by Josh Bixler
Decals by Rasterize

View attachment 62308

Mighty Mini P-51 Mustang - Paul I

Original Plans by Josh Bixler
Decals by Rasterize

View attachment 62887

Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
How to use the Decal Plans:

Roughly cut out the section you want to work on:

Line up and tape

Find a suitable piece of foam:

Peel paper from both sides. Go slow around edges, but this stuff generally pulls right off with no hiccups.

Grab some spray adhesive. I usually use 3m, but this is all they had at Walmart.

Follow the glue instructions but most are the same. Spray one side of the paper, wait about a minute for it to tack up, then apply:

Cut around the outside edges only:

Repeat the whole process for the other side, and then glue it down:

Once both sides are done you can cut your score cuts, control surfaces, and make all your creases:

I recommend using hot glue hinges as per normal Flite Test procedure. There's a chance the paper could delaminate the same as standard foam paper.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Great job on the Baron graphics localfiend. I love how they turned out. Thanks so much for creating them.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Great job on the Baron graphics localfiend. I love how they turned out. Thanks so much for creating them.

No problem. It was a lot of fun. Now I just need to build another baron with the new plans. I think the ease of use for this design might make it easier to get a combat crew running at the local RC club. Thinking about getting several sets printed up at office max or something and handing them out.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
awesome. I think this would work well for making scale cockpits too.

Yup. Working on some cockpit designs for some of my planes using this method. Just tracing online images for now. Tried drawing some of my own designs with little success. I'm no artist.

In case anyone wanted to have plans printed for them, you're going to want to look for someplace that does color engineering prints. The places that do color/photo posters are going to be very expensive, (They usually use photo paper of some type, and the kind of printer designed to print photos is expensive to operate).

I'm having Staples print up an Orange Bloody Baron set right now as a test. Cost is just under $20 with tax for the 3 pages (24x36) plan set. This is getting printed on standard 20lb paper (your usual copy paper weight). Local pickup is free, or you can have them shipped. When mine get in I'll post the results.

How to use the Decal Plans:

Roughly cut out the section you want to work on:

Line up and tape

Find a suitable piece of foam:

Peel paper from both sides. Go slow around edges, but this stuff generally pulls right off with no hiccups.

Grab some spray adhesive. I usually use 3m, but this is all they had at Walmart.

Follow the glue instructions but most are the same. Spray one side of the paper, wait about a minute for it to tack up, then apply:

Cut around the outside edges only:

Repeat the whole process for the other side, and then glue it down:

Once both sides are done you can cut your score cuts, control surfaces, and make all your creases:

I recommend using hot glue hinges as per normal Flite Test procedure. There's a chance the paper could delaminate the same as standard foam paper.

This is absolutely brilliant. Subscribed

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Does anyone has any great decal ideas that they need help bring to life? Post a pic with your idea (such as a pic of a real plane) and the Flite Test plan you would like to see it adapted to and I'll see what I can do. Can't make any promises on turn around time. ;)

I have done something similar with tissue paper on the Storch which could easily be adapted to this method.
Storch5.jpg

I'm also working on a P-51 as well.
Fuse Proof.jpg
Left Wing Top Proof.jpg

Let me know!
Stephen

Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Cool! I don't have to do the mustang or the storch now. Your graphics are a lot better than mine. I'd like to see both of those adapted to this style, especially the mustang. Been meaning to build one for a while now, and I definitely will if it'll look like that.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Dose anyone has any great decal ideas that they need help bring to life? Post a pic with your idea (such as a pic of a real plane) and the Flite Test plan you would like to see it adapted to and I'll see what I can do. Can't make any promises on turn around time. ;)

I have done something similar with tissue paper on the Storch which could easily be adapted to this method.
View attachment 53685

I'm also working on a P-51 as well.
View attachment 53686
View attachment 53687

Let me know!
Stephen

I saw your Storch at Flite Fest and I was in awe. Are you going to be making these graphics available to download? What program(s) are you using to make yours? The panel lines and rivets on the Mustang are incredible.

Rasterize

Mentor
Thanks guys! I now know what my 25 years in the graphic arts and printing industry was ultimately for....this! lol ;)
I use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to create my files. I really do love designing for Flite Test planes. Especially historical aircraft like the P-51 and the Storch.
I will start with changing over the Storch to this method. Then I'll finish off the P-51. I have another couple of FT type aircraft graphics I'm working on, one is mine (The Spirit of St. Louis) and the other is a friends who's "thunder shall remain unstolen" so to speak. All of this on top of attending NEAT makes for a busy fall!

Rasterize

Mentor
So I just rearranged the FT Storch plans (not the art yet) so they would fit on three 20X30 prints. Unfortunately the cheapest place that I can find that would print a 20X30 was Walmart at $18.86 per print. That will be over $60 plus tax! Definitely a downside to this method.
Anybody know where it can be done cheaper?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
So I just rearranged the FT Storch plans (not the art yet) so they would fit on three 20X30 prints. Unfortunately the cheapest place that I can find that would print a 20X30 was Walmart at $18.86 per print. That will be over $60 plus tax! Definitely a downside to this method.
Anybody know where it can be done cheaper?

Find someplace that can do colored engineering prints. Staples will do it, and it's a lot cheaper if they don't use poster paper and a photo printer.

http://documents.staples.com/ASP1/CATEGORIES/SKU/oversizedprints.aspx

I just ordered a set to test out the new Bloody Baron design. Price at staples was just under $20 for all three 24"x36" pages.

Of course it will be way cheaper if you print the stuff yourself.

Last edited: