decals/stickers material?

Pakokyz

hi there

i'd like to ask what kind of material i can use to make some decals/cover stickers for my ft-22
i asked in hobby shops for vinil that they use and the price per meter is extremely high about 15 euro/meter x50 cm
i curently use that vinil type of sticker that we used to dress up our books in school ( i don't know if you ever seen that thing )
it's cheap ant it comes in rolls of 5m x 60cm for 1.5-2 euros per roll. The downside of it is that it doesn't stick very good i have to use glue at the edges so it doesn't peel off and i thing that it's a bit heavy and i can't find any gloss ones.

because i'm going to make a new ft-22 i'd like to make it look nice but i don't want to use paint so i'm open to suggestions

here are some pics from the one that i allready have 20150330_005619.jpg 20150330_005657.jpg 20150330_005712.jpg 20150330_005639.jpg

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I think this was posted yesterday but a good option would be colored packing tape from http://www.tapebrothers.com/. Pretty versatile, light, and can be cut to shape if you're looking to do detailing.

I've used the ink jet printable water slide decal sheets before with mixed results. In general they look good but for them to last and really blend into the finish you have to give the entire model a clear finish (I prefer a dull coat rather than gloss but that is just personal preference). You can find various sources but for larger decals you can get big sheets here: http://www.decalpaper.com/product-p/25c.htm

And the big Avery envelope labels work pretty well too. The material is a bit thicker and doesn't blend as well to the surface so they look more like stickers than painted on when finished, but they are a cheap and quick alternative to water slide decals.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I use a combination of the following to achive the results in the attached photos:

• Colored packing tape
  • Graphics printed on regular white paper with ink jet printer
  • Clear packing tape to cover paper decals

attachment.php

attachment.php

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I have two daughters who are school teachers. They have these plotter-type (X-Y) die cutters. One has Cricut and the other a Silhouette. They can cut paper and vinyl among other things. I'm eager to see if they would be good for cutting decals. They can cut card stock so they may even be useful for the 'poster board' sections of models. The machines are quite amazing and it looks like fun!

Best regards,
PCH

Pakokyz

thanks for your suggestions!
i'll try to find where i can buy collored packing tape in cyprus!
hardware stores don't have for sure they only have electrical tape which is heavy and doesn't stick well on the paper !
should i look in stores that sell stationary?

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
I've used 3m vinyl material to make windows and stripes. It is the stuff used for racing stripes on cars. I wouldn't cover a plane entirely with it though, it's pretty heavy compared to colored packing tape, but I think it looks nicer for stripes and logos and windows and stuff.

Pakokyz

new design
top side stickers and bottom cover cut by hand from book protective vinyl, bottom side printed on A4 label paper
20150406_110441.jpg
20150406_110500.jpg