Decent RTF Outdoor Quad Options $200-$500?

JamesNZ

Hey guys,
I recently picked up a little UDI U816 to learn how to fly a quad on. Sure it's a toy basically... but it's been very resilient (so many crashes!) and does fly around inside well. I got it to learn on. It's only been a week but I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the control scheme now and can buzz around and fly through and around things with a fair amount of success.

I live on a farm in a tiny old farm house so indoor space is an issue, but obviously outside isn't. I tried flying it outside yesterday. It was completely different having all the extra space around, but it handles the wind very poorly (obviously it's not designed for this).

Obviously I'm not ready for something like a DJI phantom... but what sort of ready to fly, off the shelf quads are there that are suitable for outdoor flight that I could get my hands on? Say for anything from $200-$500 ish?

Thanks!

This is the same little quad I've got currently.
maxresdefault.jpg

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
Maybe the Blade 200 QX or 350 QX2?

Here's the FT review of the previous model (350 QX):

JamesNZ

Thanks C0d3M0nk3y.

I'd like the 350, but I think I need to work up to that given my skill level. I've been looking at the 200QX, but given I don't have a radio it's going to end up costing a fair amount. Close to $600NZ ($500US) so pretty much the upper limit of my price range (if I include a DX6i radio). That's without extra batteries and no camera (which I can always get later).

I've been watching lots of vids and the general consensus seems to be the 200qx is a really nice, powerful, but possibly fragile quad.

I'll do some more research but it might be the way to go.

HawkMan

bigger quads are generally easier to fly than the small ones, more stable and handle wind and such better, the tiny ones just wizz around everywhere :p

the Blade has a SAFE kind of stability system though, so it's very newbie friendly. including go where you point functions, so as long as all sticks(throttle included) are centered it stays where it is and goes in the direction you point it. So it's probably one of the better options if you don't feel confident in your ability, a lot better than one with just a standard auto level flight controller, well "safer" and easier anyway, better is in the eye of the beholder as the simpler FC will force you to learn to fly it properly/better faster, whereas SAFE can be a bit of a safety blanket.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks C0d3M0nk3y.
I'd like the 350, but I think I need to work up to that given my skill level. I've been looking at the 200QX, but given I don't have a radio it's going to end up costing a fair amount. Close to $600NZ ($500US) so pretty much the upper limit of my price range (if I include a DX6i radio). That's without extra batteries and no camera (which I can always get later).

Sorry about that. They must cost more than I thought.

JamesNZ

Well I've changed my mind on what I'm going to do. I've just bought another mini quad, a Blade Nano (as I can fly it around in the big barns at the farm in the meantime) and I spent a bit of extra money on getting a Spectrum DX6i. I'm picking it up in the morning.

In about a month I'm thinking I might try my hand at an electrohub build. I'm a bit of a tinkerer so I'd rather have something I've done myself and get that flying for outdoor use.

I realize I'm going to have crashes so why not get something I can fix myself instead of having to shell out for a new body? Plus this'll let me grow into video footage and FPV.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If you still want something you can bash around with, I have one of the Traxxas Alias's. The thing is almost indestructible and is plenty large enough for outdoor flight. 3 different flight modes for whatever skill level you are at and it has an auto flip feature. The only drawback is it can't be bound to a different Tx so you're stuck with the stock radio. It's not too bad though and has quite a bit of programmatically. Runs about $150... Just saying.

snoopy_wannabe

The Nano is a blast to fly but if you decide that you want something bigger for outdoor use I would recommend that you check out the 180QX. You can buy a bind and fly version for $120 without the camera or $160 with the camera (your current radio is compatible with the 180QX). I have the camera version and I have really enjoyed flying it. It has been crashed numerous times with out any major damage (the landing gear broke, but was easily fixed with a couple drops of CA glue)