Deciding on my First Helicopter

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Well I'm using a a HK board.
I could prob recommend the Blade 120sr, I was super easy for me to fly. I gave it as much throw as possible and already set up the swashplate to the most advanced setting on my second flight. I guess its all on how fast your learning curve is. I don't have a flight simulator I personally don't care for a simulator...but if you can use a simulator more power to you.

Well, thanks for letting us know that.
I wanted to make my way to helis in future over Tricopter, which I am saving for now :) Now I know what I am mostly likely to buy :)

dezent

Korv
I would recomend Trex 500, they are pretty cheap to repair and
you will not change them as soon as you learned to fly and wants
something larger to be able to fly in some wind.
Also they fly great and there is lots of information about setup
available on the internet.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I would recomend Trex 500, they are pretty cheap to repair and
you will not change them as soon as you learned to fly and wants
something larger to be able to fly in some wind.
Also they fly great and there is lots of information about setup
available on the internet.

The good thing abouth them is that they are pretty stable as well! So quite good trainer as well with a little help

glydr

How many letters do we ge
TREX 500 is a lovely bird, and yes can handle some wind. But repairs aren't as cheap as that for the 120SR or other FP machines. Under the watchful eye of an instructor a 500 would be a great start. But a 500 in the hands of a beginner teaching himself to fly at an oval could be very dangerous.

If you were really watching the $$ and flying CP I'd go a 450 over a 500 as the 450 can still handle some wind but repairs are a good deal cheaper again (possibly due to the large volume of 450s in the market). Flight packs are also $10 each... cheap!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I'm not into helis but I needed something to fly around my yard (which has too many trees for anything except my Night Vapor). I went with this for my first heli. We'll see how it does, it's probably going to get broken anyway so I didn't want to spend much.

4CH Mini RC Helicopter 9958 2.4GHz Single-Propeller with Gyro

1.jpg

I found a review/flight video

Last edited:

glydr

Don´t the 450 fly with 3S 2200mAh?

I do have three of them right now ^^

Yup. Gives you a conservative 5min which feels like enough time when you are flying. If you have someone teaching you I reckon a 450 is great. Though a fixed pitch heli is the cheapest orientation trainer outside a simulator.

PTRogers85

One 2 FLY
I'm really starting to love Helis now...I'm pretty much done with the blade 120sr, its fun to fly but I feel I need to move on. I was really considering to build a HobbyKing heli(a Align clone) I'm considering a 250, 450, or maybe a 500.
A 250 I'm worried it will be a little Squirley, but its A lot cheaper in every aspect.
A 450 I it can save me some money on Lipos bc I have the right size
A 500 I like the Size and I heard its the most Stable bc of its size, But its also the most expensive

So I think I'm going to probably get a HK-450GT belt drive(I'm going to stay away from the torque tube for the time being)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F10902%5F%5FHK%5F450GT%5FPro%5F3D%5FBelt%5FDrive%5FHelicopter%5FKit%5FAlign%5FT%5FRex%5FCompat%5F.html

PTRogers85

One 2 FLY
Well I'm using a a HK board.
I could prob recommend the Blade 120sr, I was super easy for me to fly. I gave it as much throw as possible and already set up the swashplate to the most advanced setting on my second flight. I guess its all on how fast your learning curve is. I don't have a flight simulator I personally don't care for a simulator...but if you can use a simulator more power to you.
I change my mind on the Flight Simulator...I barrowed my buddies Phoenix Flight Simulator, I've been having a lot of fun with that thing ...I've been flying a lot of helis on the simulator mostly a Blade Sr and Align 250 & 450(I still belive bc its a Simulator its not 100% accurate, but still fun) I was just sad when I had to give the thing back...I might buy one lol

Last edited:

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
Don´t the 450 fly with 3S 2200mAh?

I do have three of them right now ^^

I change my mind on the Flight Simulator...I barrowed my buddies Phoenix Flight Simulator, I've been having a lot of fun with that thing ...I've been flying a lot of helis on the simulator mostly a Blade Sr and Align 250 & 450(I still belive bc its a Simulator its not 100% accurate, but still fun) I was just sad when I had to give the thing back...I might buy one lol

I started flying helicopters about 2 years ago, i started out with a msr, witch was good to could learn the orientational inputs, but since you guys both have some experience (with either the ms120 or multi copters) i would strongly recommend either a CopterX or an EXI align 450 clone (full metal head and tail, belt driven tail (don't go for thrust rod on the clones)). don't buy the RTF versions, they usually contain servos and gyros that are shit. however there are good cheap servos and gyros: i use a gy 401 b(a futaba 401 rip-off), but it works very well with sporty flying, and probably quite well with light 3d, but i cant test that.... (yet). the trex 500 is a lot more expensive, and not that much bigger.. you could also look at the mcpX, but that you can't fly in bad weather ( but that might now be a problem if you dont live in norway....)
well yeah.. if there's anything you want to know, feel free to ask :)
ps. you might want to look at the flybarless setups, they are a lot easier to set up, and recently they have become a lot cheaper.

glydr

Yeah - go the 450. You'll find that having the batteries helps in the short term but these things wear batteries out pretty quickly and you'll be buying new ones that aren't puffed or lagging!

And Phoenix - a definite addition to the 'fleet'.

PTRogers85

One 2 FLY
So what was your change in mind? You still gonna get the 450 or a Blade SR?
I'm thinking the HK-450GT Belt-Drive. I kinda want to build my own heli to suit my needs, I'm not going to do anything crazy with it. I don't even want to think 3D for a while lol. The reason why I chose the 450 is bc A) I priced it to cost a little cheaper than the Blade SR & I like to build my own models I try to avoid RTF. B) Parts are a lot cheaper and easy to come by since there is different clones of the 450 and I can always swap part with the real Align 450 C) I don't like how the Blade SR has a separate tail motor, I heard its just a big mess to deal with and better off with a belt drive.
So hopefully in the not so distant future ill be able to buy/build the HK-450GT I already have a wish list on HobbyKing of the parts I chose when it gets closer to when I can order everything ill post the item that I selected to see what you guys think(bc ill prob change my mind on some parts between then bc I'm going to do more research, but so far I think I picked some good stuff review wise)
I'll just keep flying the Blade120sr for now and keep messing around on the Phoenix Simulator till I can build a Heli that I Really want lol Thanks guys for the help

PTRogers85

One 2 FLY
I started flying helicopters about 2 years ago, i started out with a msr, witch was good to could learn the orientational inputs, but since you guys both have some experience (with either the ms120 or multi copters) i would strongly recommend either a CopterX or an EXI align 450 clone (full metal head and tail, belt driven tail (don't go for thrust rod on the clones)). don't buy the RTF versions, they usually contain servos and gyros that are shit. however there are good cheap servos and gyros: i use a gy 401 b(a futaba 401 rip-off), but it works very well with sporty flying, and probably quite well with light 3d, but i cant test that.... (yet). the trex 500 is a lot more expensive, and not that much bigger.. you could also look at the mcpX, but that you can't fly in bad weather ( but that might now be a problem if you dont live in norway....)
well yeah.. if there's anything you want to know, feel free to ask :)
ps. you might want to look at the flybarless setups, they are a lot easier to set up, and recently they have become a lot cheaper.
Yup Agreed that's the path I plan on taking with my helis. The 450 but I want the HobbyKing version, I heard they made a Good Clone of the Align too. I plan on taking it apart and adding Blue Thread lock all the metal parts that's the thing that most people warn and complain about those helis the most.
The Flybarless do I need a special Gyro for running that or anything I don't know too much about it. I thought its more needed for 3D flying? I didn't do too much research on it bc I thought I wouldn't need it for a while, but it does look neat and reasonably priced on hobbyking.

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
Yup Agreed that's the path I plan on taking with my helis. The 450 but I want the HobbyKing version, I heard they made a Good Clone of the Align too. I plan on taking it apart and adding Blue Thread lock all the metal parts that's the thing that most people warn and complain about those helis the most.
The Flybarless do I need a special Gyro for running that or anything I don't know too much about it. I thought its more needed for 3D flying? I didn't do too much research on it bc I thought I wouldn't need it for a while, but it does look neat and reasonably priced on hobbyking.
if i were you than i'd buy this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Drive_Helicopter_Kit_Align_T_Rex_Compat_.html
and make sure you buy a good tail servo! for flybareless you will need a 3 axial gyro. a flybarless has many advantages: uses less power (=more performance/longer flights), few parts to replace if you crash, and the mechanical part is easy to set up, also it might be more stable in wind because of the 3axis gyros. the only con that i can think of is that it cost more than a normal fly bared heli.
this is the gyro i have been using the last 2 years or so :http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=353_372&products_id=6969 works perfectly
and here is a new 3 axis gyro that seems ok for non 3d flight AND it's very cheap!!!!
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=353_372&products_id=11109 however i have not tried it yet..

PTRogers85

One 2 FLY
if i were you than i'd buy this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Drive_Helicopter_Kit_Align_T_Rex_Compat_.html
and make sure you buy a good tail servo! for flybareless you will need a 3 axial gyro. a flybarless has many advantages: uses less power (=more performance/longer flights), few parts to replace if you crash, and the mechanical part is easy to set up, also it might be more stable in wind because of the 3axis gyros. the only con that i can think of is that it cost more than a normal fly bared heli.
this is the gyro i have been using the last 2 years or so :http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=353_372&products_id=6969 works perfectly
and here is a new 3 axis gyro that seems ok for non 3d flight AND it's very cheap!!!!
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=353_372&products_id=11109 however i have not tried it yet..
Yup that's the same 450 kit I posted belt drive one NOT the torque tube, looks to be a pretty nice kit and for under $60 you can't go wrong! Thanks for the Flybarless tip ill prob get one of those gyros

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
@ PTRogers85

The Flybarless control module, is the bulk of the cost on a FBL Heli. You obviously want to get a solid stabilization system, and starting price for any quality unit is right at $200.00.

If you know for sure you are going that route, I think this New Release from Horizon Hobby is just what the doctor ordered if your using a Spektrum Tx.

The New 450X FLB also looks pretty nice, but at $500.00, it's seems pricey for a Blade Heli. Altogether, when you consider that the included FBL unit alone is $240.00, and you are only a Tx away from your first crash :D right out of the box. This looks as though it will be a very good "First 450-sized FBL Heli".

Hope this is in some way helpful to your cause. :)

PTRogers85

One 2 FLY
@Heli-Yeah! That's some Great looking stuff from Horizon Hobby but just out of my Price Range :( I want to try something a little lighter on the budget bc I'm sure I'm going to be replacing parts often in the beginning. But after I become a little better i would like to move to something like the Blade 450 FBL. But I prob won't get a FBL system starting out just bc of the price of the of the 3 axis gyro, but i will strongly consider the Blade's Gyro when i do get a FBL
Thanks heli-yeah! for the suggestion

ZXRGreg

Hi I started flying a heli about 15 or so years ago with a Raptor 30, the electrics and the coaxile were not around then. The absolute best advise I can give is practice alot on a flight sim. If you want a heli that you can grow with and not spend alot of money, best bang for the buck is the HK450GT, toss the belt, the feathering shaft, and the main shaft when you get, and for just a few bucks go buy the align replacement parts. I bought two kits, one to fly and one for parts, put a set training skids on it, and start out with small hops till you can hover it. It is more stable and easier to see the movements of the larger heli, than it is with a smaller one like the 120's or the 250's, which in turn gives you more time to react. Get someone in your area that is a experienced heli pilot to do the final setup and test flight before you try it your self, and don't try to do to much to quick.