Delta Ray vs F 27 Evolution Which is a better trainer wing

Matt53

I was wondering which would be better as a trainer wing because they both have the SAFE gyro. There doesn't seem to be too many differences between them, they're both pusher wings that cost around 100 dollars, but the Delta Ray is being advertised as more of a trainer. What about it makes it more of a trainer? Which should I get as a noob?
EDIT: I was talking about the UMX version of f 27 and the Delta Ray ONE.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
We've had good luck with the Delta Ray at my club, several have learned to fly with them.

Trainers are generally a bit easier to fly, they have more stability built into them. They tend to be a bit slower, giving you more time to make corrections. SAFE is great technology, the down side, some can get over dependent on it. Beginner mode is great for the first couple of flights. I'd recommend going to intermediate mode ASAP, just remember where the fail safe button is.

The advantage to build your own is. When you wreck it, you just make another, $2 worth of foam. It's building season (winter) where I live. I'll be building 8-10 planes in the next few months. So when I wreck one, I just take my stuff out of the wreck and put in in the new one laying on my bench & your good to go.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I learned on a Delta Ray. While the F27 has SAFE, it's a brushless wing that would be much faster than the Delta Ray. I think having a slower flying plane really helped me in the beginning. Additionally, having the undercarriage helped me learn to land and takeoff, practicing with ROG skills.

Matt53

I learned on a Delta Ray. While the F27 has SAFE, it's a brushless wing that would be much faster than the Delta Ray. I think having a slower flying plane really helped me in the beginning. Additionally, having the undercarriage helped me learn to land and takeoff, practicing with ROG skills.
How much slower? In the Flite Test episode on the F 27 Josh was saying that it really slowed down nicely, so was he talking relative to other high speed wings?

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
The F-27 is really the least trainerish plane you could get short of a warbird. Its fast, sporty and yeah. Not a trainer.

The delta ray is good, but it is a 2010 design. Brushed motors and all... so to answer your question, Delta ray is a better trainer.

Matt53

The F-27 is really the least trainerish plane you could get short of a warbird. Its fast, sporty and yeah. Not a trainer.

The delta ray is good, but it is a 2010 design. Brushed motors and all... so to answer your question, Delta ray is a better trainer.
I was talking about the new one that's coming out((Delta Ray One). Sorry about the misleading title, I had no idea that the original Delta Ray was a thing.

donalson

watching that video I'd go with the delta ray one... I've got 2 of the original delta rays... they are very but slow... twin brushed motors give a weird sound but it is nice and slow and has tons of lift plus the landing gear make it real fun to land... I'm planning on putting on brushless on it at some point to make a fun fast plane but keeping one stock just cause it's fun and good to let my kids fly

looking more at this thing I honestly think I might look at picking one up to keep in the car and fly... I do wonder what adding the GPS costs... not for me but it could be a very nice addition for those starting out...

that being said... if you are already flying planes and just wanting to get into wings... there are a number of FT options... the FT delta is a very easy place to start, sticking with the B pack swappable the versa as a tractor is also great... a little more work to build but a great flyer... if you want a pusher it also does that nicely once you get the CG right (requires a good bit of nose weight)

if you want to fly something a bit smaller with an A or F pack you also have the mini arrow... I haven't built one yet although I really should considering how much I like wings.

on a side note... if you are just wanting to learn to fly a plane with primarly aileron control consider building something like the bloody wonder/baron/brit... I found them easier to fly and dial in than elevons on a wing but gets you comfortable with the aileron roll/control you need for flying a wing.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Does the trainer have to be a wing? If not then the hobby zone duet is by far the best trainer for beginner rc pilots. Its impossible to destroy, you physically can't touch the motors to the ground, its incredibly easy to repair, and it will provide you with easy stable flight for months!

Then after you have mastered the duet I would get the umx pt-17. Believe it or not this plane is an excellent trainer for ailerons. IT has the same flight speed and maneuverability as the duet but it also provide aileron control.

Thennnnn..... After you master the PT-17 or some other aileron control plane you can move on to most 4 channel aircraft!!!