Delta Wing - Scratch Build

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Learn to build a Delta wing for your swappable airframe! This Delta is designed for taking that next step in your RC flying with the ability to do rolls, loops, inverted flight and more!

This Flite Test scratch build project is made from Dollar Tree brand foam-board which offers a cheap, sturdy, lightweight material for scratch built projects and is great for the folding KFstep and one-piece folded fuselage design.

Because of the material needed for the unique folded KF step and fuselage design, this specific scratch build was created from 2 pieces of foam board, the wing on one and the fuselage on the other.
More details are labeled in the plans linked below!

There are two sets of build plans; the wing plans and the fuselage plans:
(Delta wing plans are available in Metric)

Attachments

• swappable fuse delta.pdf
    409.9 KB · Views: 7,520
  • swappable delta metric.pdf
    386 KB · Views: 3,772
  • swappable delta.pdf
    416.5 KB · Views: 5,821

TommyG

Champions! Will be building this one tonight! I like that you are even thinking of those of us that use french measurements ;)

elfangor103

Video Title link not working!

I went to click on the scratch build delta wing video today and it did not work properly. It kept on redirecting me to the flitetest homepage.:( PLease fix this bug asap i was anticipating on watching it.
Good Luck,
Dan

Nonamerc

Arman
Does any one know a scratch build with the standard bixler engine and a 30 amps esc with a 6x4 or 5x5 prop?/??/

TommyG

I've been playing through the choose your prop adventure series to try and figure out how you have joined the fuse, wing and tail on the FT Flyer, but I'm stumped.
Will you be doing an episode showing your swapable FT Flyer wing with this fuse. If not can you please post some photos of the underside of the FT Flyer so I can have some insight of how you guys did it. Also it looks like you have used a skewer all trough both sections of fuse to secure it into position rather than the cable tie method used with the Nutball and the Delta.

SteveOBHave

I made a delta the weekend after this ep - using a very similar planform - such a blast to fly! Although mine is not nearly as pretty and have I no wheels which has killed a few props... Oh and it's without a KF step - does it actually make that much difference to the flying characteristic?

DSC_6774.jpg

DSC_6775-1.jpg

flyboy07

I've been playing through the choose your prop adventure series to try and figure out how you have joined the fuse, wing and tail on the FT Flyer, but I'm stumped.
Will you be doing an episode showing your swapable FT Flyer wing with this fuse. If not can you please post some photos of the underside of the FT Flyer so I can have some insight of how you guys did it. Also it looks like you have used a skewer all trough both sections of fuse to secure it into position rather than the cable tie method used with the Nutball and the Delta.

I was wondering the same thing as well. And hopefully swapable fuselage Funbat plans also!

rcchips

I was thinking of doing the same thing w/ the funbat (which I have built but not flown yet) and the ft flier (I plan to build) as well. I would like to see those wing designs with the slots to accept the swappable fuselage. Speaking of that, I am building the delta and the slots in the wing do not line up with the tabs on the fuselage. They are spaced too wide. It looks like they may line up if the fuselage was folded so the sides were on the side of the bottom rather than the top of the bottom, but the firewall would not fit then...if that makes any sense. Unless I am totally off. It was getting late last night. Keep up the awesome job!

SteveOBHave

Painted my little guy, chucked a slow fly prop on it and wheels - such a great flier - I've got a video uploading at the moment.

DSC_6812.jpg

jelofson

I was thinking of doing the same thing w/ the funbat (which I have built but not flown yet) and the ft flier (I plan to build) as well. I would like to see those wing designs with the slots to accept the swappable fuselage. Speaking of that, I am building the delta and the slots in the wing do not line up with the tabs on the fuselage. They are spaced too wide. It looks like they may line up if the fuselage was folded so the sides were on the side of the bottom rather than the top of the bottom, but the firewall would not fit then...if that makes any sense. Unless I am totally off. It was getting late last night. Keep up the awesome job!

Yup. The holes for the tabs on the wing should be on the inside of where they are. Just move them inward.

jelofson

Built mine this weekend. Really nice and easy plane and fuselage to build. The short length of the delta wing means my battery had to be mounted fairly far back to get the CG right. My landing gear is a little heavy as I didn't have any thick piano wire. I might pick some up tonight with some bigger wheels. Note as in the previous post, the holes in the wing are not in the correct place for the fuse. They should be inward 1 thickness of foam board. Fun plane to fly. This was with a 3S 500mah and 8038 prop.

dart1.jpg

dart2.jpg

dart3.jpg

SteveOBHave

Hey :D thanks! I enjoyed your vid too, especially the flying in formation with the airliner :D Looks like it flies really nicely! Next trick is to give it some colour :D Nice work on the build, it looks really clean.