Delta Wing - Scratch Build

Bolvon72

Mentor
I go without wheels for these anymore. If you come in high, chop the throttle and give full up input, she will drift in nice, slow, and level. Same with the bloody wonder, which if you like this, you'll love that.

I also have no one to film, I have a cheap camera glued to sunglasses, which is why my videos are so terrible. I look forward to seeing yours. Happy flying

strows

I go without wheels for these anymore. If you come in high, chop the throttle and give full up input, she will drift in nice, slow, and level. Same with the bloody wonder, which if you like this, you'll love that.

I also have no one to film, I have a cheap camera glued to sunglasses, which is why my videos are so terrible. I look forward to seeing yours. Happy flying

What's the biggest size battery that can be used on the plane?

Bolvon72

Mentor
What's the biggest size battery that can be used on the plane?

The heaviest batteries I have are 1800 2s which work very well, though I wouldn't go much larger without going to a 3s. I wish I could give more exacting info, but this month's rc budget went into other accessories so battery upgrades won't be until next month. The 1800 paired with the Suppo does give very long flight times. I have not had the guts to try my 3s batteries with it, I am trying to slowly build my speed skills.

khensga

Question. Where do you buy 1/8 inch plywood for your firewall. I biult an old fogey and used a stick motor mount and foam to secure fuse to the plane. Not good in crashes.

Gremlo

Question. Where do you buy 1/8 inch plywood for your firewall. I biult an old fogey and used a stick motor mount and foam to secure fuse to the plane. Not good in crashes.

any local hobby shop should stock this. if not try a hardware store, or a lumberyard. the lumberyard should be able to order it in as well as the hobbyshop.

strows

I'm running mine on some 500mAh 3S batteries, This plane is so much fun!!! I can't believe how much fun it is to fly this plane and it is very durable, lol. I really need to take some video footage to post, mind I am still a beginner only about 3 weeks of flying so I can only really do rolls and loops, not quite ready for inverted or knife edging but I'll get there.

Last edited:

khensley

Firewall marterial alternative

I could not find liteply so i used an alternative material. "CD's" I cut out 2 firewalls and glued them together. This is a flite test forum so I'm flite testing. I didn't have any small screws to fasten the motor mount to firewall so I used small finishing nails with hot glue and a rubber band. so far so good.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I could not find liteply so i used an alternative material. "CD's" I cut out 2 firewalls and glued them together. This is a flite test forum so I'm flite testing. I didn't have any small screws to fasten the motor mount to firewall so I used small finishing nails with hot glue and a rubber band. so far so good.

Good idea! Any hard plastic would do, but I guess CD's are easiest to find.

khensley

IMG_1974.JPG

Firewall motor mounts from cds. This is a flite test forum, so lets flite test.

khensley

Why are the CDs no good? too brittle?

The CD's will work for flite, but I'm new to flying and this is my first wing. I had to go through trial and error. I have a turnigy 9x and I hit a pole so hard that I broke my receiver's antenna off. So I'm out a computer radio. I have a back up non computer tx and rx, but you know how that goes. As the D's go, they do shatter when you hit the ground noise first. lol

MrClean

What receiver. Is it a shielded piece of wire then exposed center? Do you have an electronics store in town? If not, you can always buy an antennae mount from Amain hobbies or the like, cut off the end bits, strip one end down to expose shield and core, strip the other end to mimic your antennae and solder it on your old RX. If I'm mistaken and you're talking about the TX antennae well shoot, we can get pieces and parts for that too.

If we're talking a 6 buck receiver perhaps it's simplest to just replace BUT I'm not sure that an Orange RX antennae is anything but a straight piece of wire the appropriate length. You'd just need to cut another the same length and solder it on. I could be wrong but I wouldn't let something that costs less then a penny keep me from using 6 bucks worth OR 2.50 of something keep me from using 20 bucks worth. When I was a third party IBM maintenance tech I had a couple customers tell me that they liked my company because we seemed to know what a soldering iron was. Swap till you drop was the name of the game for most other people. Scope, Fluke and soldering iron ours. We were kings once.

khensley

What receiver. Is it a shielded piece of wire then exposed center? Do you have an electronics store in town? If not, you can always buy an antennae mount from Amain hobbies or the like, cut off the end bits, strip one end down to expose shield and core, strip the other end to mimic your antennae and solder it on your old RX. If I'm mistaken and you're talking about the TX antennae well shoot, we can get pieces and parts for that too.

If we're talking a 6 buck receiver perhaps it's simplest to just replace BUT I'm not sure that an Orange RX antennae is anything but a straight piece of wire the appropriate length. You'd just need to cut another the same length and solder it on. I could be wrong but I wouldn't let something that costs less then a penny keep me from using 6 bucks worth OR 2.50 of something keep me from using 20 bucks worth. When I was a third party IBM maintenance tech I had a couple customers tell me that they liked my company because we seemed to know what a soldering iron was. Swap till you drop was the name of the game for most other people. Scope, Fluke and soldering iron ours. We were kings once.[/QUOT

It's turnigy 8 ch receiver. Cost around $8 from hobby king. I'm still flying with my trusty 5 ch Aero sport tx and airtronics receiver. You just got to make very small movements.

MrClean

aloft hobbies FrSky accesories page

Scroll down on this page and you will see several different clip on receiver antennas. I don't know what the inside of your receiver looks like, you'll need to expose it, but what I just did was similar to what you'll need to do. Get one of these clip ons in the size you would like, longer might make this easier. You probably have a soldered on cable, thats fine. Cut off the clip on connector on one of these. Carefully, no let me put this right CAREFULLY strip off the outer sheeting which will expose hair size braid around an inside wire. You need to seperate this brade with a needle. You may want to have a jewelers loop or magnifying glass for this. Get a good 1/4 inch of this exposed and seperated off to one side and twist it tight into a wire. Now you REALLY have to be careful and cut the plastic off of the inner multistrand wire. There only appears to be 4 or 6 strands in this internal carrier so it is very very fine. You need to expose it down to about an eight of an inch away from the outer shield. The way this coax works is you bring the signal in on a wire, the internal wire, and to keep it away from all other outside influences you wrap that with a shield of cable and ground he cable to the receiver. This way the receiver ignores all the close in hub-bub and brings in the clear signal from outside your airplane. So you don't want a big old piece of exposed inner core next to the receiver.
Get your soldering iron and pre tin both the shield you've twisted together and the internal wires. Desolder the wires from your receiver nothing where the ground and core go and solder your new one to it. There, fixed.

With 72 mhz you just needed to cut a piece of wire around 1/4 wave and solder that straight to the receiver. There was so much wire attached to catch the 72mhz band that the little bit by the rx rarely mattered. 2.4 Gighz has itty bitty bandwidth.

Cheapest antenna is 1.25 I think but you'll have shipping which probably will be just tossed into a standard envelope. Look at their FrSky prices while your at it. That's some real good equipment there for really cheap. Not as cheap as orange but cheaper then the rest BUT better equipment. A JR module setup will plug into the 9x or 9xR.

khensley

I just lost my key chain 808 video camera off of my delta. I was looking forward to seeing the vid. You win some and you lose some.lol