Design Wingsuit

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
My new suggestion is to design a Wingsuit for a GI Joe / Max Steel toy doll (around 1/10th scale ?)

it would be cool to attach the GI Joe to the EPP - FPV plane and launch it at free fall, then you open the wings on the wingsuit and glide to safety landing on the trampolin at the backyard :D

the wingsuit can be fabric or just 2 folding wings attached to the back of the doll. its doable with allinone 2 (maybe 4) channel micro receiver + servos and 1S small battery.

maybe you will need to flare a small chute at the landing too ....

if thats too hard maybe a rc guided parachute will be fun also !!!

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Do you want to be able to steer it with small servos do go left and right and up and down?!

I have an idea for that!
You could put some king of stuff between the body and the arms and make the arms movable. The way the arms would go is just closer to the body or further away to increase/decrease the surface area of each side and steer that way to the right or left.
With elevator control I would just leave the two legs apart from each other and the surface attached between the legs constantly.
Then you´ll have a further servo that would be near the stomach that would then tilt the whole back (legs and surface) up and down for elevator input.

Of course you gotta do a little experimenting about where the CG is going to be to make it glide properly and not fall like a stone.

teflyer

Full Circle
That is a really cool idea!

Would it lose its innovative factor if you made G.I. Joe out of foam?

I would think that a toy doll would have pretty dense plastic not to be broken by little kids and foam would be a lot lighter.

ananas1301

That is a really cool idea!

Would it lose its innovative factor if you made G.I. Joe out of foam?

I would think that a toy doll would have pretty dense plastic not to be broken by little kids and foam would be a lot lighter.

I think it doesn´t even matter that much, because the suit is only there to make the thing glide and not properly fly.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
anas got it right; it just a controlled glide to the target, the elevator will work only to flare the speed at the landing.

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Here is a video I took last year at a local Heli Fly-In.

This little guy has servos to control his arms, so he can be guided down to a desired location.

I plan to make one someday, if I can clear some space on my project bench.

Last edited:

RC Dad

Here is a cool video of the real thing. My son saw this and said he is definitely going to do this too...not.

ananas1301

That video of the real one shows pretty well, that the whole wingsuit is practically made out of many many many sacks that fill up with air to increase the glyding effect. That might be something worth to do too if our Gi Joe is going too fast

teflyer

Full Circle
What would also be pretty cool is to put a camera on the G.I. Joe and see how close it looks to an actual jump.

parapilot1453

wingsuit rc

Ive seen a RC wingsuiter, but was only used for base jumping so was never able to fill up the cells of the wingsuit, i think one of the major problems would be to move the arms and legs correctly, and while such little flight time would be difficult to trim to glide correctly, definitely something to take note of.

Im skeptical about how it would really preform, because of the major change in air speeds from lets say a heli, would be zero to the terminal velocity of the GI joe RC, I think that we should work on the chutes themselves to really resemble better performing canopys, faster opening time and better control.

I still think that RC skydivers will be around and look like a lot of fun, but currently we need major improvements in wing designs before we can get into the harder stuff.

BTW, im not a RC pilot yet, but an avid full scale pilot,
just my 2 cents,
Allen