Designing a WWII fantasy water jet

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
After FTFC18, I wanted to design my own WWII fantasy concept. It should be german and a jet because I have one 50mm EDF laying around. But I also wanted something special. At late WWII, Germany had almost no runways making the operation of conventional aircraft very difficult. Instead of making a VTOL that would be extreamely complicated, I decided to use natural existing runways like water. The plane could take-off and land on a river or lake or be operated ship based. Being a seaplane, it wouldnt need a carrier and could be launched from a destroyer or other ship. It should also have either retracts or a take-off dolly and landing skid for conventional ground take-off.
The EDF should be as hidden as possible in the back.
So I made some sketches of a single seater fighter:
IMAG0165.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

On this pic, the side view is pretty final while air intaktes and horizontal stab of the top view will be remade:
IMAG0175.jpg

I also made a model in Simple Planes, which is a simulator where you can build your own airplanes and it has shown the best water caracteristics yet.
Screenshot_20180919-094932.png

Screenshot_20180919-095109.png

Another thing are the air intaktes: they should be lokated over the trailing edge of the wing so they dont suck too much water in. I have two concepts:
1. NACA ducts: they are not too exposed and get the air very good in.
2. Normal intakes on the trailing edge: The Idea is to suck the air above the wing away creating a low pressure zone and more lift. Maybe this allows slow flying and short take-offs.
Do you have some more design suggestions?
Or name suggestions?
I hope to finish it in two weeks.

b-29er

Saunders-Roe_SR_A1.jpg

So basically you're talking about doing a Saunders-Roe SR. A/1 with a mid wing? I mean its an option but i'd almost say unless you want to do the true twin duct, save yourself some of the design work and do something like a HE 162, use a top-mounted jet pod, since German jets were pretty lengthy back in WWII, and use a fork tail. The added advantage of the engine pod is you raise the engine above the fuselage to the point where water shouldn't get in on all but the most inverted landings. You'll also wanna either put the elevator up high or on a V to keep the water off on takeoff. If you're really going for WWII german seaplane, especially the late war craziness, i'd look at:

-fork tails like some of their midwar seaplane designs with a flatish bottoms
-multiple engine pods, maybe mounted on the top of that mid-mounted wing with some sort of a diverter to keep the inlet ahead of the wing and water out
-The DO-26, but replace the push-pull engine pods with jets
-Rather than using a mid-wing with tips, you could have a second, smaller wing to help stabilize the aircraft attached to the fuselage. This would give you more wing area to help with takeoffs, and give you a spot to put retract
gear thats relatively dry)
As for the suggestion of reducing takeoffs by putting the inlet up top, you'd be diverting the normal airflow the fuselage would be putting off anyways, so that wouldn't help much. If you wanna keep this a fighter, i'd look at keeping things sleek and helping it build up speed

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I think the design you started with looks very cool, and having seen the other designs you've built and flown I have no doubts you'll get this airborne too :D

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Allright, I started the build. Wing is done and fuse started.
IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0191.jpg

As you can see, I used many small pieces for the spar, and its very strong.
IMAG0194.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

The fuse is Just the side plates and some structure right now. Stronger parts will attatch to it later. I didnt add the bottom plate before the side plates were in place, and thats because I want to make a special angled bottom. I made a very nice seaplane last year, which I sadly didnt completed, and it also had a very nice angled nose shape which I want to recreate:
IMAG0192.jpg

IMAG0193.jpg

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Some more work on the fuse. I put the bottom on and made a reinforcement piece to shape the nose. Then I cut out a piece to put the wing in the middle. The top will later be covered by some curved pieces.
And I also calculated the CG so that I could put the step in the right place.
IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0197.jpg

Here it is side dy side with the old one:
IMAG0200.jpg

And the wing is put in:
IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0203.jpg

I think tomorow it will look like something.

b-29er

Allright, I started the build. Wing is done and fuse started.
View attachment 115620
View attachment 115622
As you can see, I used many small pieces for the spar, and its very strong.
View attachment 115623
View attachment 115624
The fuse is Just the side plates and some structure right now. Stronger parts will attatch to it later. I didnt add the bottom plate before the side plates were in place, and thats because I want to make a special angled bottom. I made a very nice seaplane last year, which I sadly didnt completed, and it also had a very nice angled nose shape which I want to recreate:
View attachment 115625
View attachment 115627
That first hull design looks like it'd be awesome for some kind of 30s vintage seaplane.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
That first hull design looks like it'd be awesome for some kind of 30s vintage seaplane.
I actually planned it as a modern version of the Dornier Libelle with twin engines. But I had Problems with the top mounted wing, so its unfinished. Maybe I'll complete it this winter.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Some more work done. Nose cone finished, tail attached and hatch started.
Here come some pictures:
IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0205.jpg

IMAG0207.jpg

IMAG0210.jpg

The hatch is really huge and provides good excess to the inside:
IMAG0208.jpg

This part connects the first triangular style step with the second flat step:
IMAG0209.jpg

Next thing to do is putting some formers and curved foam on the hatch to get some good looks.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
I Just put the EDF in and installed elevator and rudder servos!
All I need to do now is put the rear cover/ thrust tube on, install ailerons and make some wingtip pontoons.
IMAG0232.jpg

Edit: ailerons are also done.

Last edited: