determining gross weight

black-hart

Can anyone tell me how to determine how much weight a plane can carry? I know a lot of factor's play in to it. The planes weight and thrust and wing area. I think if you know the formula I would like to know. Oh by the way can anyone tell me how much a gopro weights? Thanks

earthsciteach

This is a VERY good question. To answer this, a very solid understanding of airfoil design is needed. On the other had, given the weight of an aircraft, determining the amount of power required is pretty easy.

Here is one resource that is helpful for sizing a motor for a given weight: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17914

If you are starting from scratch and desire to build as efficient an airplane as possible for a given purpose, things are infinitely more complicated. For the purpose of RC, most people have an idea of what they want the airplane to look like, determine the weight based on construction technique and materials, and then size the motor accordingly.

Your question is far more complicated. I'm guessing from your question that you at least want to carry a GoPro. The GoPro website lists the White Addition at 2.6 ounces (73.7 g). I don't know if that includes the case or attachments. So, from an efficiency standpoint, what is a good configuration? Ooph! Get out your computational fluid dynamics software!

Liemavick

Mentor
Before I risk the GoPro on a questionable airframe I made a mock up. I drilled out the chunk of 2x4 cut to size and filled the holes with lead until I matched the weight of the camera. Real life experience sometimes beats number crunching, and besides I got to play with melted lead :)

DSCN0049.JPG