DGA-6 aka Mister Mulligan Group Build

mayan

Legendary member
Hey everyone, a while back I participated in a challenge where I turned a balsa model into a foamboard model, here is the thread about it: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ftfc20-howard-dga-6-racing-designed-by-mayan.59861/

So what’s this thread about!? Ever since I finished the design I feel like the plane still needs a few small tweaking. This is where I hope you all will help, and join me in this build. Giving me build and flying experience feedbacks, I’d really like to wrap up the plans and move on to the next design. Your feedbacks will help me learn from your experiences towards my next project. So your help is very much appreciated.

Plans are posted here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/howard-dga-6-aka-mr-mulligan.88/

Of course for any questions I’ll be around, after all I am building as well :).

mayan

Legendary member
Alright well to help out those that plan to join, I’ll be building this step by step. So first step is the fuselage which is actually divided into a few build sections.

First pieces you’ll need are these. Don’t mind the dent on my main piece my phone fell on it when I was going to take the picture.
1969BE9D-8F26-4651-B853-5B44DBAEC4C6.jpeg

And here are just of few pictures of me cutting.
839C07F3-4D82-49F8-9AFD-1B36D9731C35.jpeg
8D4B9270-C6B0-4359-BCC6-ACEB2CD11C1D.jpeg

kilroy07

Legendary member
@mayan Finally figured out why your videos look off....

you got too much hair still to be an RC nerd.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

@kilroy07 Will easily get you sorted out. lll bet he even figures how to tweak the prints for laser cutting for you. Probably even come up with some 3d printed parts as well.
Hey man, join us! ("Put up or Shut up!) :p:LOL:

By this weekend I'll have the cut files and I'll send you out one (or two) and you can have some fun with us!

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
Make sure to dbl check the black lines, some are not cut throughputs but your smart enough to figure it out :)
Yup, I see it on most if not all the tabs.
Laser 1.jpg
No worries, I'll tweak them a bit over the next evening (or two) in the meantime, keep documenting your build, once I've got it cut out I'll try to get it put together right away (I still have a bit of tweaking on my He162 to finish up as well).

I hope to have 3 planes to maiden by this weekend (after a 2yr hiatus.) :LOL:

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hey man, join us! ("Put up or Shut up!) :p:LOL:

By this weekend I'll have the cut files and I'll send you out one (or two) and you can have some fun with us!

I still have the one you printed for me at FFO19 hangin on the wall unmaidened. At least I got the foam to relax and be mainly straight after all that moisture it sucked up while in the tent. If you look close you can kinda see the elevators have a nice cup in them but the rest is good to go other then being a tad wrinkled.

I picked up a cheapie Amazon airbrush kit about a month ago and have been practicing with that so I could probably paint one up half way decent. Was thinking about priming up my Edge 540 to try but its been so rainy and damp here this past week I don't dare try to paint anything seriously. For now Ill stick to practicing thin straight lines and get better at fading in gradients on poster board.

IMG_20210126_221427_070.jpg

Not a bad start for only doing this for two weeks.
IMG_20210915_180340_705.jpg

I could easily do a build and make it look pretty. Putting it in the air to test it well not so much haha. STILL have yet to fly a full pack on a plane. I would also have to dig thru the 9 planes I already have that I cant fly to find the one and only fixed wing receiver I have. I only have one C pack motor for planes as well rest of my motors are quad motors. I do have a decent stock of various size props collecting dust on the wall rack I made.

I think my last attempt to fly got me the help and advice I needed to figure out where my weaknesses are for flying fixed wing. First was what I thought was only a little nose heavy turned out to be a LOT nose heavy. So now (that I know about it) I glide test things to be neutral to start. the other was it seems I was too much a sissy with the throttle on launches and that coupled with having bad shoulders I throw like a gurl.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I still have the one you printed for me at FFO19 hangin on the wall unmaidened. <Snip>

Awe, that reminds me, we need to get @Namactual in on this... Hummm... I wonder why it didn't link to his profile... :unsure:
And I'm embarrassed to say My Black Bunny F-18 is still in sheet form... Make you a deal, you set a date and we both pledge to maiden our F-18s within a week of each other. (I am seriously glad to see you got the warping fixed, I remember how bad it was.)

What 9 planes do you have? My Tiny trainer flies great on 2205s (Flies even better using $10 glider wings!)
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...you-use-the-40-coupon-from-hobby-lobby.57929/

mayan

Legendary member
Yup, I see it on most if not all the tabs.
View attachment 208100
No worries, I'll tweak them a bit over the next evening (or two) in the meantime, keep documenting your build, once I've got it cut out I'll try to get it put together right away (I still have a bit of tweaking on my He162 to finish up as well).

I hope to have 3 planes to maiden by this weekend (after a 2yr hiatus.) :LOL:
Sure will, I’ll get back to building more tonight!

mayan

Legendary member
So first thing that we have to do is prep the pieces that we will be using, cleaning out the cavities, creasing where needed.
First piece up is this one.
IMG_5950.JPEG

I highly recommend taping the piece's rim with tape so that it won't break when you peal of the cavity, should look like this when you are done.
IMG_5957.JPEG

Next up is this piece, which look like this when your done with it.
IMG_5956.JPEG

Another very frigle piece so mind how you clear out the cavity this is how I recommend you do it.
IMG_5952.JPEG

The next two pieces are quite simple and obivous so here are the pieces and how they should look like.
IMG_5958.JPEG
IMG_5953.JPEG

This is how your pieces should look like when you are done.
IMG_5955.JPEG

Next thing that we'll do is gently bend up the bottom of the fuselage as so.
IMG_5961.JPEG

Then we will do a B fold on the side of the same piece to end up with something like this.
IMG_5962.JPEG

Then you'll want to take these two pieces and find the shorter one out of the two.
IMG_5963.JPEG

You'll want to glue that piece to this one so that it will look like this.
IMG_5965.JPEG

You'll then want to glue that piece into place putting glue on the conrer of the foamboard and paper then slide it until it reaches the end of the tail boom, then flip over and put some preasure on it sliding back and forth so it won't stick to the table.
IMG_5967.JPEG

looking like this when you are done.
IMG_5968.JPEG

Here I kinda messed up the order of things so you'll have to do with my explination. You want to take this piece and glue it into place on the lower deck of the part we just glued in. Make sure the side with the one tab is facing towards the tail boom. Put glue on the side of the foamboard and drop into place putting preasure ont the sides while doing that flip over the fuselage and push it againis the table for extra strength. Make sure to slide back and forth so it won't stick to the table.
Now you'll want to glue in the other holders that we have the one the one tab on the back and the one with two tabs one the front. You should end up with something looking like this.
IMG_5974.JPEG

Now punch put the top cut, and we'll move on...
We'll want to take the very frigle piece that looks like two windows putting a drop of glue in the cavity and folding it up so that it looks like this.
IMG_5976.JPEG
IMG_5975.JPEG

Once your done with that put glue on both the outter sides and the top bar of the piece and slide into place making sure that the "windows" are looking exactly like they would in a car (trinangle forward), until the bar reaches the end of the top piece under which it is placed, so that it looks like this.
IMG_5977.JPEG

From here we will continue tomorrow after I cut out the next set of pieces.
Wasn't too hard so far, was it?

Attachments

• IMG_5957.JPEG
    IMG_5957.JPEG
    93 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5961.JPEG
    IMG_5961.JPEG
    161.5 KB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Awe, that reminds me, we need to get @Namactual in on this... Hummm... I wonder why it didn't link to his profile... :unsure:
And I'm embarrassed to say My Black Bunny F-18 is still in sheet form... Make you a deal, you set a date and we both pledge to maiden our F-18s within a week of each other. (I am seriously glad to see you got the warping fixed, I remember how bad it was.)

What 9 planes do you have? My Tiny trainer flies great on 2205s (Flies even better using $10 glider wings!)
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...you-use-the-40-coupon-from-hobby-lobby.57929/
Se 5, DR 1, The Rhino, FT3D, Edge 540, Bloody Baron, 1400mm Dynam Pitts, A balsa cub and another low wing balsa plane i cant remember off my head the designation both of which were graciously sent to me anonymously for which I am now to skeered to fly after splitting the cubs main wing in half.

My build plate is back logged again. I have a 3 inch quad to finish, a teardown and rework of my 1986 Washburn RR11v guitar I had bought new when I got out of the Navy. then by the time those are finished I need to start gathering parts for the January start of the next Great Guitar Build Off. I did last years competition instead of building a new quad this year and caught that bug now too which is why I am working on learning how to air brush.

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_20210626_131124_332.jpg

IMG_20210626_131145_706.jpg

EDIT: Also @Namactual has been MIA for a long time now. Last we knew he had to go in for a routine surgery. Then not to long ago his account seems to have disappeared... I have no way to get in contact and people have been wondering as well. If you have a way to poke him with a stick do it and get back to us with results if you would not mind.

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
That's a pretty sweet guitar build!! There is a local guy at the art institute here I ran into that also builds guitars and I know now that the laser can (and will) cut thin ivory into pretty complex designs... (Just tossing that out there...) LOL

I PM'd Nam already, I'm pretty sure I have his number/address somewhere, let me dig through the archives after work!

mayan

Legendary member
Se 5, DR 1, The Rhino, FT3D, Edge 540, Bloody Baron, 1400mm Dynam Pitts, A balsa cub and another low wing balsa plane i cant remember off my head the designation both of which were graciously sent to me anonymously for which I am now to skeered to fly after splitting the cubs main wing in half.

My build plate is back logged again. I have a 3 inch quad to finish, a teardown and rework of my 1986 Washburn RR11v guitar I had bought new when I got out of the Navy. then by the time those are finished I need to start gathering parts for the January start of the next Great Guitar Build Off. I did last years competition instead of building a new quad this year and caught that bug now too which is why I am working on learning how to air brush.

View attachment 208133

View attachment 208134

View attachment 208135

EDIT: Also @Namactual has been MIA for a long time now. Last we knew he had to go in for a routine surgery. Then not to long ago his account seems to have disappeared... I have no way to get in contact and people have been wondering as well. If you have a way to poke him with a stick do it and get back to us with results if you would not mind.
I’ve actually watched the build process amazing job there buddy!

mayan

Legendary member
Next pieces that you’ll need are these.
71A39CDE-75A9-48DE-8CDB-F6159D012137.jpeg

And you’ll need to prep them like this.
First punch out all the tabs from the two circled pieces (no photo required here 😉).
You’ll want to peal off the paper from one side of this piece, and gently give it a curve with your thumbs or over the edge of the table.
CEF0308A-4F11-4BF0-882D-C1B90239F64E.jpeg
9780D660-CE01-4152-A6E8-9B3833851E0A.jpeg

Once you are done with that you’ll want to bevel this piece on the black marks in the picture bellow. Where you have the line with two lines running through it on the top of the piece you should just slightly bevel until it lines up nice on the top part of the fuselage that you already built like a front window of the plane.
543FC8BF-1987-4930-8D2D-70CCE9EBCB47.jpeg

Then you’ll want to peal of the paper from the inside front part of the fuselage that we already built like so.
9EB91820-F8AC-45FB-A707-AD050D694569.jpeg

Then gently bend inward with your thumbs so it has a gentle curve to look like this.
0B0C3500-9BFA-4DD1-8B8E-E8BB0D8DB4EA.jpeg
A5C6D3F1-2472-4470-86E1-31E2D66C6B16.jpeg

That’s all for now will continue on the build later tonight.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Looking great!

I got quite a bit done last night (even after talking with @PsyBorg for an hour on the phone!) :ROFLMAO:

I "should" be cutting out my first copy tonight!!
View attachment 208197

Was it really an hour? It seemed much shorter then that. Guess there was a lot to be caught up on hehe. Is that layout showing several sheets or will all this fit on one sheet? Thought you had mentioned 4 sheets last night or were we on another build by then haha. I know we were talking about the Edge build around that same time too.