DGA-6 aka Mister Mulligan Group Build

mayan

Legendary member
Ok let's add the rest of the control surface connections.
First pass push rods through the side slits on the fuselage, and line the ends up with the elevator and rudder. I didn't cut the slits for the control horns :eek:, but trust you'll manage. One thing to note though is the high difference of the slits on the fuselage the one closer to the tail boom is meant to be used for the elevator and the other for the rudder. Now connect the servos on the other side of the push rods pull out, put glue and place back inside making sure your control surface is levelled using a ruler.
D28D0480-D5CC-4569-B2F9-D890FDD18D4B.jpeg
C08DBA52-932E-42FD-AEE6-05067B101785.jpeg
05354DBA-A3AA-49A9-B6B4-67025EB4F6FD.jpeg
08EF0B4C-4646-4D88-87E1-F202A34CB8F7.jpeg

Once done cut a popsicle stick in half and glue on the top side of the rudder for extra strength.
39F77CA0-94B7-42A0-982B-C69CAF696CF5.jpeg
C8486858-A9C5-4A30-AB5E-8E94819979FF.jpeg

Screw on the motor to the power pod without passing the wire through the hole into the power pod, instead leave them hanging off the top. If you plan on using a C pack motor note to cut the power pod length down using the template in the original plans or just cut it out and build a fresh dedicated power pod. Once done connect the ESC to the motor, check that the motor is spinning in the right direction and tape the connections to again just for extra security. Now slide the ESC through the top passing that goes all the way through to the fuselage and place the power pod on the inner power pod holder that we've built in the first steps, to secure the power pod in run a BBQ skewer through the holes on the cowl.
39B21FE4-C840-419B-A175-9D62E049352E.jpeg
1CF7C2BC-9580-47C5-B39E-909777C6554C.jpeg

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Do you like the ESC Hidey-hole Arrangement Better than sticking it into the pod?

@kilroy07 - if you listen to the Podcast you will have some ideas about it. ;)
Actually I think you commented on the Maiden flight/fail.

But I haven't made a full write-up on it yet. I am Trying the, Drop-a-complete-project-with-plans-including-successful-maiden-video all at once technique this time.

mayan

Legendary member
Do you like the ESC Hidey-hole Arrangement Better than sticking it into the pod?

@kilroy07 - if you listen to the Podcast you will have some ideas about it. ;)
Actually I think you commented on the Maiden flight/fail.

But I haven't made a full write-up on it yet. I am Trying the, Drop-a-complete-project-with-plans-including-successful-maiden-video all at once technique this time.
The hole is meant for cooling sticking it into the pod would make it heat and get no cooling :)

FoamyDM

Here is the fix on the wind shield part I messed up earlier. You don’t need to bevel to folds just run over them with the end of the BBQ skewer. Then bevel only the top and bottom of the piece so that it look like this.
View attachment 208264 View attachment 208265

Now it’s time to glue into place that’s a little more complicated to explain written so here’s a short video about it.

Once that’s dry you’ll want to add some glue here underneath the wind shield and hold it down.
View attachment 208266

When done it’ll look like this
View attachment 208267 View attachment 208268

More tomorrow cause I am exhausted….
How structural is the windshield? This looks to be a perfect candidate for a clear food container sheet, and FPV

FoamyDM

I'll show your mine.
IMG_20210930_211333840.jpg
I flew this bird, the magician... Could not get it to fly straight to save my life... Slow spirals. With opposite rudder full on. Eventually dumped it in the beans. And lost it.

~8' plane... Proofed invisible in the beans.
Mean beans.

Thinking I filmed it I figure o might get a hint... No. Just this photo.
IMG_20211001_191928117_BURST001.jpg

More upset about the electronics really. This looks like a worthwhile build for sure. Your documentation is amazing @mayan

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks @FoamyDM i actually took mine out this morning and let’s just say that I forgot to lock down the motor pod, and strengthen the prop on, and let’s just say I got freaking lucky with it being only that bad of a damage, more on that later.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Got some good work done last night.
IMG_1773[1].JPG
IMG_1763[1].JPG Ironed the tail surfaces.

Had a few issues
IMG_1760[1].JPG IMG_1761[1].JPG

There was a pretty big seam so I used the Gorilla Glue trick.
IMG_1764[1].JPG IMG_1767[1].JPG
I used a Q-Tip dipped in water to pre-moisten the gap.
IMG_1766[1].JPG
After that fill it with glue then cover with painter's tape.
IMG_1769[1].JPG
If you see it ooze out you'll be sanding later. :rolleyes:
IMG_1770[1].JPG
IMG_1771[1].JPG
If you do a better job, you end up with a great seam.
IMG_1772[1].JPG

Need to set up all the servos before I close the wing.

cyclone3350

Master member
View attachment 209295 View attachment 209305 Ironed the tail surfaces.

Had a few issues
View attachment 209304 View attachment 209303

View attachment 209302 View attachment 209300
View attachment 209301
View attachment 209299
View attachment 209298
View attachment 209297
View attachment 209296

Oh, I am liking this one. great job on the cowl.(y)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
View attachment 209295 View attachment 209305 Ironed the tail surfaces.

Had a few issues
View attachment 209304 View attachment 209303

View attachment 209302 View attachment 209300
View attachment 209301
View attachment 209299
View attachment 209298
View attachment 209297
View attachment 209296

Great work, I love the white gorilla glue, it comes in handy so often.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Oh, I am liking this one. great job on the cowl.(y)
Thanks!

I designed the cowl in MicroStation (The CAD program I use in my day job.)
It's 3D printed in LW-PLA (actually weighs less than the FB version)...
Guess that means I just have to slap a bigger motor on it! (It WAS a racer after all!) :LOL:

If you have access to a printer, I shared the link for the cowl back on post #71.
(Print one out yourself and join the build!)
I havent glued mine on yet, I'm toying with the idea of a faux radial engine to go along with it...

I'm leaning twords finishing mine in yellow...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Okay I'm back at the work bench... I took a couple days off to "Eh hem" Help a few friends join the build... ;)

Your care package arrived this afternoon. The word help is an understatement. So that means I have to clean my bench to gear up for this build. That cowl is a LOT bigger then it looks in those pictures but it turned out awesome. It feels weird though. Much appreciated my friend. See how much gas I have in the tank tomorrow after grocery shopping. Might be able to get that in primer weather permitting. For now I am off to find more pictures of the plane for ideas on a livery. Ill get to test my newly acquired airbrushing techniques on this build.